U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, villakram said:

What's your opinion on the nice chap that had his arm severed, who admitted during the trial to having a gun in his hand, and this after he attacked Rittenhouse... something backed by fresh video angles of the incident I might add.

This is much murkier than the simple picture blasted all over the media at the time of the incident.

I think Rittenhouse will walk free and it'll be the correct legal decision even though he has culpability. The indictment needed here should be against gun culture in this country, but it's not forthcoming. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I think Rittenhouse will walk free and it'll be the correct legal decision even though he has culpability. The indictment needed here should be against gun culture in this country, but it's not forthcoming. 

WHY THE FUVK WAS HE IN A TOWN THAT HE DOESN'T LIVE IN WANDERING AROUND AFTER A LEGAL CURFEW WITH AN AK-47 RIFLE STRAPPED TO HIM.

What an upstanding little c *nt I mean citizen.

Bannon loves these little foot soldiers. The cold race war has been running in this country since about 2015.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 4

Of course what's been lost in the shuffle here is the reason why there were angry protesters in Kenosha that night to begin with- a black guy is shot in the back seven times by police, and paralyzed. 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

WHY THE FUVK WAS HE IN A TOWN THAT HE DOESN'T LIVE IN WANDERING AROUND AFTER A LEGAL CURFEW WITH AN AK-47 RIFLE STRAPPED TO HIM.

What an upstanding little c *nt I mean citizen.

Bannon loves these little foot soldiers. The cold race war has been running in this country since about 2015.

They create a situation where someone feels they have no option but to attack them and then claim self defense and invoke the "stand your ground" laws when they shoot and kill them.  See also:  Trayvon Martin and Ahmaud Arbery.

Using their logic, the guy who got his bicep shot off could have shot Rittenhouse and been able to claim self defense.   After all, they guy had an AK-47 and had just shot and killed 2 unarmed people.  I'm sure Fox News and the MAGA crowd would have gone to bat for him if he'd done that, right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villakram said:

They should have held this over him, plenty of precedent for that, but now they have given him and that political movement the fight they want.

He was back on TV this evening, loving it.

Not sure I agree.  

Bannon was always going to declare victory despite reality, and his followers were always going to love it. Bannon was always not going to cooperate and will never cooperate.  He doesn’t care about a bit of jail time or small fine, it’s a badge of honour.

The committee had to refer him to the DOJ otherwise all the others would’ve defied the subpoenas and the committee would’ve looked impotent.  

The DOJ had to indict otherwise the others would’ve defied the subpoenas and the committee and DOJ would’ve looked impotent.

What this does is not about Bannon, it’s about the others that have been subpoenaed.  While Bannon will wear as a badge of honour, most of the others won’t and instead of defying will cooperate because they don’t want jail time.  This is a deterrent to the others, the committee knew it wouldn’t affect Bannon. In fact bringing in Bannon early allowed the committee to set the deterrent which was a wise move.

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Yeah, I can't get my head around that at all.

Also, the whole "self defence" thing.  Is this appropriate for just literally anything?  Someone could look at you funny so you shoot them dead.  Self defence!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, villakram said:

Exactly, e.g., a cup of lukewarm/burnt coffee has risen by 20-30c in the last 2 months. I can list a zillion other everyday things. Of course, such small things never impact those in congress, but absolutely hammers the lower & middle classes.

Yes, though I should also stress there's a difference here between what I know the Democrats should say and do about fuel prices and inflation on the one hand, and what I personally think on the other. I mean, *my* experience of people bellyaching about fuel prices has mostly not been the sort of poor person who is struggling to afford a cup of coffee, and more suburban clearings in the woods who spent their lockdown cash on a Chelsea tractor. 

• Like 1

The trial has offered a suberb insight into the American legal system and cast huge doubts on the reality of the so-called separation of powers.

It has been an overtly political trial from start to finish and the great 'face-palm' moment when Grosskreuz told the court that Rittenhouse only shot him when he pointed his gun at him, seemed like the turning point.

The governor of Wisconsin's attempt to intimidate the jury by his public announcement that he will call out the National Guard, if he gets the wrong verdict, adds further evidence that the prosecution of Rittenhouse has been a political project from the start.

Calls to have Binger struck-off seem reasonable considering his behaviour.

That a man desperate to defend himself travelled a long distance with an automatic weapon into a situation so dangerous that three people were shot on the evening it happened (all by him) might walk away without a jail sentence says a lot more about how America works than it does about any sort of sensible criminal system.

Essentially the defences argument is "they had it coming".

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's had his "Possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18" charge dismissed.

That'll be the automatic weapon he had on him on the night he shot three people when he was seventeen.

Yoo Ess Ayy!

That was the charge believed easiest to win by the prosecution it appears. The defence has (successfully) argued that the law is too complicated to follow and actually appears to suggest that a 17 year old carrying a gun of the length he was is actually totally legal.

Which the judge quickly agreed with.

He's going to get off all charges.

On 15/11/2021 at 07:21, HanoiVillan said:

oof, Dems looking like they're in for a true shellacking next year

That the incumbent party loses in the midterms is the most guaranteed result in American politics, but the numbers in that thread are still genuinely terrible. Even worse:

Looks like a loss incoming in every Senate battleground as well.

That's a huge jump from last year.  Would it suggest that a large number of Republicans were put off by Trump last year and would be if he got the nomination again next time?  Obviously there are still lots of odious Republican politicians out there that can do damage themselves though.

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, I can't get my head around that at all.

Also, the whole "self defence" thing.  Is this appropriate for just literally anything?  Someone could look at you funny so you shoot them dead.  Self defence!

Or chasing you down saying they're going to kill you, hitting you with a skateboard, stomping on your head or even pointing a pistol at you. **** pussy should have just beat them all up like Bruce Lee. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

That a man desperate to defend himself travelled a long distance with an automatic weapon into a situation so dangerous that three people were shot on the evening it happened (all by him) might walk away without a jail sentence says a lot more about how America works than it does about any sort of sensible criminal system.

Essentially the defences argument is "they had it coming".

The wide angle view is damning against Rittenhouse but only ethically. In the heat of a moment that he should never have been involved in, he will be deemed justified in his actions based on self defense, and jurors sympathetic to the prosecution won't have any wiggle room. I'll be surprised if he is convicted of homicide. 

Edited by maqroll

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

That was the charge believed easiest to win by the prosecution it appears. The defence has (successfully) argued that the law is too complicated to follow and actually appears to suggest that a 17 year old carrying a gun of the length he was is actually totally legal.

Which the judge quickly agreed with.

He's going to get off all charges.

The judge is lining up his post-legal career as a Fox News pundit. 

12 hours ago, maqroll said:

@TheAuthoritydid you catch Bannon yesterday saying "Stand by"?

These assh*les want bloodshed.

I didn't - I don't really watch or read anything anymore - I'd rather focus on my job and my family then get wound up by people who want to watch the world burn just to satisfy their egos.

Sadly this Rittenhouse story broke through into my world. It's going to get messy again when he's cleared.

Â