U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, villakram said:

An infrastructure bill was one of his big things, but could never get it out of the WH due to the Russia, Russia bs and familiar splintering of "his" party and then covid hit.

Also because he’s a psychopathic nutjob with the mental level of an 8 year old.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Also because he’s a psychopathic nutjob with the mental level of an 8 year old.

It's amazing... actual current happenings like important things such as the budget, silence. Mention Trump and it like a clarion call to all those from the principled moral high ground or some such.

19 hours ago, villakram said:

Too much politics.

Obama tried it and the repub were against it.

Trump tried it and the dems were against it.

Biden trying it and the repubs are against it, sorta and somewhat tbd.

What was the opposition about this time? Of course it's politics and not giving the other side a win, but what do republicans say they do not like about the bill?

Too costly? because I imagine that would be hard to sell as voters from both sides seem to agree that investments in infrastructure were very much needed.

12 hours ago, villakram said:

It's amazing... actual current happenings like important things such as the budget, silence. Mention Trump and it like a clarion call to all those from the principled moral high ground or some such.

Most of us don't live in the US so don't care about budgetary matters, whereas a nutjob spouting hatred that impacts on the entire World is a much bigger deal to "us".

• Like 4

18 hours ago, villakram said:

An infrastructure bill was one of his big things, but could never get it out of the WH due to the Russia, Russia bs and familiar splintering of "his" party and then covid hit.

When you say 'one of his big things', that's only true in the sense that he liked to talk about it a lot, there was never a concrete proposal to negotiate over. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile in America Republican rep. Paul Gosar has posted a video where people have edited his face onto an anime character that kills another character with AOC's face on it, and then injures another character with Biden's face on it. Only in America you can post a video of you killing your colleague and not get fired and detained. Further down the drain the republican party goes.

You can't make it up.

Republican Rep. Paul Gosar posted a photoshopped anime video to his Twitter and Instagram accounts showing him appearing to kill Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and attacking President Joe Biden.

Surely the secret service should be paying this rabid dog a visit, threatening the sitting president like this is surely a crime?

Edited by magnkarl

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

When you say 'one of his big things', that's only true in the sense that he liked to talk about it a lot, there was never a concrete proposal to negotiate over. 

That's not correct. His admin had a plan and it never got near the house floor due to politics, hence there was never anything to negotiate over. Nothing particularly special about this as every president would love to spend big on infrastructure. Politics is incredibly short term over here and with big things like this it's simply not possible to cleave them off to a federal/independent  agency that could operate on longer horizons.

That Trump's only major domestic policy triumph was the tax bill says so much about the totality of US politics.

Edited by villakram

1 minute ago, villakram said:

That's not correct. His admin had a plan and it never got near the house floor due to politics, hence there was never anything to negotiate over. Nothing particularly special about this as every president would love to spend big on infrastructure.

His administration had control of both branches of Congress between 2016 and 2018, if they couldn't get a proposal to the floor of the house under those conditions they didn't have a concrete proposal. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

His administration had control of both branches of Congress between 2016 and 2018, if they couldn't get a proposal to the floor of the house under those conditions they didn't have a concrete proposal. 

But, it's never that simple, e.g., the current Dem struggles or Obama in 2008.

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

But, it's never that simple, e.g., the current Dem struggles or Obama in 2008.

I think we're having a semantic debate about a 'concrete proposal' here, but for me a plan that an administration has that it cannot even introduce to the floor when Congress is unified under the president's party's control is obviously not a plan that could have been legislation under any circumstances, therefore it is not a concrete proposal. 

In this case, the Trump administration had vague aspirations, but were not willing to make compromises with sufficient legislators of either party to get it passed, so how seriously did they take it? How keen were they to get it done? Not keen enough to make the necessary sacrifices, obviously. 

Not a concrete proposal. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villakram said:

That Trump's only major domestic policy triumph was the tax bill says so much about the totality of US politics.

I disagree here, I don't think it says much about anything other than the internal disagreements of the Republican party. Again, they had unified control. 

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I disagree here, I don't think it says much about anything other than the internal disagreements of the Republican party. Again, they had unified control. 

I think you are forgetting the Russia, Russia, Russia stuff and the constraints that placed on domestic policy.

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Don't worry about that - reading this shit will make you realise how **** up the country is:

"When a 21-year-old Native American woman from Oklahoma was convicted of manslaughter after having a miscarriage, people were outraged. But she was not alone.
Brittney Poolaw was just about four months pregnant when she lost her baby in the hospital in January 2020.
This October, she was convicted and sentenced to four years in prison for the first-degree manslaughter of her unborn son."

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59214544)

Utterly, utterly insane.  Miscarry your baby and get 4 years in prison!  Dogshit country.

Wow. That's truly shocking, yet not that surprising. The handmaid's tale is starting to seem not that far fetched. 

It has to be one of, if not, the worst country in the world. 

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Wow. That's truly shocking, yet not that surprising. The handmaid's tale is starting to seem not that far fetched. 

It has to be one of, if not, the worst country in the world. 

Nowhere near - but the "land of the free" it most certainly isn't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Nowhere near - but the "land of the free" it most certainly isn't. 

See for me, I put it there because of what it could be. A country that size and powerful could be a **** utopia for the world but they seem to just want to be evil words removed. Not everyone clearly, but it's got some terrible people running the show. 

Â