Jimzk5

33 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They can investigate his role all they like but there isn't anything they can do about it. Clubs work with agents all the time. Fat Sam and Sir Alex Ferguson had "preferred" agents for their transfers deals if I'm not mistaken. 

I’ve seen this said a few times now.

The agents that Fergie used, Allardyce uses etc, are they also the manager’s agent? Do these agents also have companies that the clubs owners have shares in?

I’m not trying to be argumentative, I genuinely have no idea. I don’t know much about this side of the game. My general feeling is that all this sounds a bit murky, but I suspect it goes on elsewhere (whatever “it” is). I doubt that the powers that be would want to piss off someone who’s as influential as Mendes appears to be.

If Villa have pushed for an investigation (and that’s IF they have), I would like to think there’s something substantial they’re aware of to legitimately question this. Or alternatively, maybe this is all just seeking clarification on what Mendes actually, officially, does.

Regardless, looking at that article, it suggests that his involvement would be closely scrutinised in the premier league.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Regardless, looking at that article, it suggests that his involvement would be closely scrutinised in the premier league.

But what can they do? Even if he owns a company that has part share in the club or if there's an exclusive deal that wolves only sign players who he's the agent of I am not aware of any rules that prevent this. The world of Agents is largely unregulated as far as I can see so Mendes can do what he likes with Wolves, there's nothing to stop him.

11 minutes ago, villa89 said:

But what can they do? Even if he owns a company that has part share in the club or if there's an exclusive deal that wolves only sign players who he's the agent of I am not aware of any rules that prevent this. The world of Agents is largely unregulated as far as I can see so Mendes can do what he likes with Wolves, there's nothing to stop him.

Like I say I don’t know much about this side of things. It just mentions in that article about clubs clamping down on third parties. I don’t know what that would actually involve, if it did indeed happen.

On 10/01/2018 at 10:27, Kingman said:

Potentially breaching two regulations, U6 and U18, which forbid third-party player involvement from potentially influencing events at the destination club. 

Regulation U6 states: "No person may either directly or indirectly be involved in or have any power to determine or influence the management or administration of more than one club." Regulation U18 reads: "No club shall enter into a contract which enables any other party to that contract to require the ability materially to influence its policies or the performance of its teams in league matches."  

Or breach of rule B13, which states, 'In all matters and transactions relating to the League each club shall behave towards each other club and the League with the utmost good faith'. 

Or has there been agreements in relation to both these transfers that enabled third parties to acquire the ability materially to influence the club's policies and/or the performance of its teams in League matches and/or the competitions set out in Rule E10 and constitutes a breach of rule U18." 

Come on journo's get ya shovels out and see what you can find!  

Mentioned this a while back in the thread. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would like to think, that my club is not involved in any of this and we do our talking on the pitch.

despite any breaching of rules which is clearly not on......it comes across as a bit of sour grapes.

I would like to think that if we have substantiated evidence of wrongdoing by any club in the league be they top or bottom that we'd raise our concerns with the appropriate governing body.

If we're making baseless accusations then I completely agree we shouldn't be but if we have legitimate concerns with proof then I'd be confused and slightly worried if we weren't making some kind of report. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would like to think, that my club is not involved in any of this and we do our talking on the pitch.

despite any breaching of rules which is clearly not on......it comes across as a bit of sour grapes.

I’d generally agree, concentrate on our game.

Maybe this is simply someone stirring up this narrative a bit. Derby, Leeds and Villa supposedly kicking up a fuss and just by chance Wolves’ next two fixtures happen to against two of them. Televised as well. Hmmmm.

16 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I would like to think that if we have substantiated evidence of wrongdoing by any club in the league be they top or bottom that we'd raise our concerns with the appropriate governing body.

If we're making baseless accusations then I completely agree we shouldn't be but if we have legitimate concerns with proof then I'd be confused and slightly worried if we weren't making some kind of report. 

Professsionally, you are right, but we are setting ourselves up to be whiter than white and in football that is very hard to do......i just hope we don't come across as snitches.

on a slightly different note i have far more concerns how the top 6 operate their financial affairs and dominate the transfer market and just about everything associated with the game.

A team like Wolves have been in this division for some time now, I feel there are other clubs to feel more concerned about.

However, rules are rules......but i do wonder if they were midtable, would this issue be raised?

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I hope we're not one of the clubs complaining. We should be walking this league with the money we've spent. 

A shame we have hardly played them all together  though 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mourinho signs players from Mendes too and has done a lot in his career.

Apparently Ferguson and Allardyce persuaded players to sign with certain agents

Yes but difference is Manchester United are one of the top clubs in the world. Wolves were a mid table club. They never would have been able to get the likes of neves and jota if mendes was not involved. 

Interesting development. My question is this.

Why are the EFL "discussing" this if they already know everything is above board?

Surely this should have been done when they took over 2 years ago? More incompetence from a footballing body? Nothing to see here? Or has something come to light along with other clubs complaining? 

Fair play to Wolves if they are all ok, theyve used a tool available to them thats within the laws of the game to their advantage! Im sure all the clubs in auto/playoff positions will be watching this one closely.

Similar to Watford few seasons back nothing happened to them and Mendes has hell of a lot lore power than Pozzo family

Fwiw i would be a bit embarrassed if we went up on a technicality

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Fair play to Wolves if they are all ok, theyve used a tool available to them thats within the laws of the game to their advantage! Im sure all the clubs in auto/playoff positions will be watching this one closely.

Owners have invested in the agent and club so they do have a interconnected financial interest in both club and the agent, both of these having a financial interest in the final outcome is Not within the laws of the game.

Bit of a difference of having a preferred supplier and a financial interest in a preferred supplier.   

Not Allowed! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Similar to Watford few seasons back nothing happened to them and Mendes has hell of a lot lore power than Pozzo family

Fwiw i would be a bit embarrassed if we went up on a technicality

I wouldn’t we would have deserved to have gone up.

31 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Owners have invested in the agent and club so they do have a interconnected financial interest in both club and the agent, both of these having a financial interest in the final outcome is Not within the laws of the game.

Bit of a difference of having a preferred supplier and a financial interest in a preferred supplier.   

Not Allowed! 

Yeah good point that!! ive always been dubious about it tbh, but being as nothing has been done up until now i presumed ok.

The way you have explained it to me there has changed my opinion (vehicle reversing). Well this could be funny...

• Like 2

Â