Jimzk5

Our Portuguese players have bought into Wolves much more than most of the British players we've had for decades before.  We have more of a connection with this squad than any I can remember, the only one that comes close to me would be the 08/09 promotion squad.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm surprised by this. I see a lot of things differently as I don't have the local connection the majority you guys have, but if my local team or Villa for that matter fielded an all foreign team that would annoy me. To me the importance of a English spine or local spine (however you choose to word it), is one of the bits I identify with and I find it very important. A club with all Italian, French or whatever, wouldn't trigger the same connection to me. 

Some things in football transcends the more material aspects. There's a lot more to football than just being good at getting three points. 

In the same sense it's an entertainment industry, where the type of football being played matters, it's also an entertainment industry anchored in local history, values, families, feelings etc. When you create an all foreign 11 you lose some of what makes it magical to those who loves, lives and breaths the sport locally. 

But maybe I am old fashioned and alone in this. 

It depends on the situation, if Villa were challenging with 16 Portuguese in the squad I dont think anybody would care. 

But if they were shit people would be up in arms calling them mercenarles. If Wolves were in bottom 3 then the idiots like Stelling etc be demanding a manager with passion and a true british spine

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Our Portuguese players have bought into Wolves much more than most of the British players we've had for decades before.  We have more of a connection with this squad than any I can remember, the only one that comes close to me would be the 08/09 promotion squad.

But Big Mick was the better manager 😉 he would have no issue dropping Neves or Moutinho for Karl Henry 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It depends on the situation, if Villa were challenging with 16 Portuguese in the squad I dont think anybody would care. 

But if they were shit people would be up in arms calling them mercenarles. If Wolves were in bottom 3 then the idiots like Stelling etc be demanding a manager with passion and a true british spine

That's the thing. Personally I would. Football is about more than winning. A club in Brum with a long and proud history, families have gone to the stands with friends through a hundred years and suddenly everyone on the team communicates in Portuguese. Not for me. 

Hell, I remember playing football manager years ago, and I actively signed mediocre English players so the squad look more like I wanted it to. 

23 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's the thing. Personally I would. Football is about more than winning. A club in Brum with a long and proud history, families have gone to the stands with friends through a hundred years and suddenly everyone on the team communicates in Portuguese. Not for me. 

Hell, I remember playing football manager years ago, and I actively signed mediocre English players so the squad look more like I wanted it to. 

Who cares if a player is called Matthew Smith Or Mathias Silva? 

They represent the club, Villa could have a Vietnamese starting 11 for all I care as long as they were good players.

Football is about more than winning, but nationality of players is not included in "more".

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Who cares if a player is called Matthew Smith Or Mathias Silva? 

They represent the club, Villa could have a Vietnamese starting 11 for all I care as long as they were good players.

Football is about more than winning, but nationality of players is not included in "more".

People are different I guess. I'd never travel to watch us play with an all 11 Spanish squad or whatever. Just soulless. 

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

People are different I guess. I'd never travel to watch us play with an all 11 Spanish squad or whatever. Just soulless. 

I mean, I know as a nation they might eat a lot of Jamón but they're not like, vampires.

Edited by GarethRDR

For all this, I absolutely understand why you all love Grealish.  Player from the area, fan of the club, with a (great?) grandfather who also played for the club.

Similar to why we love Bully.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Remember signing Roger Johnson that summer caused your dressing room to go toxic and finished off Mick's spell. Think you had a few others you couldn't shift after relegation like Jamie O'Hara.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Do you mean homegrown youth products or just bog standard journeyman players like Shorey and Harewood? Ever since I've been following the club since mid 90s we've always promoted young players (Hendrie, Vassell and Barry were all breaking into the squad at the time) every few years so that's something I wouldn't want broken. Had a dry spell in last five but hopefully Jacob Ramsey can lead the next generation coming up.

However Shorey or Harewood or good quality foreign talent, tough choice there.

On 24/09/2020 at 07:39, Andy81 said:

I will have a bet that if this form continues you will get some Wolves fans questioning why you haven't bought more British talent.....as they understand this league.

56 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I will have a bet that if this form continues you will get some Wolves fans questioning why you haven't bought more British talent.....as they understand this league.

In fairness will be idiots like Stelling(maybe Tony Pulis is better than Nuno) more than fans

Â