Jimzk5

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Doesnt bother me, Catania I think in Serie A a few years back had about 15 Argentinian players on the books

Slightly different there because of the cultural ties between Argentina and Italy.  I think more than half the population of Argentina has Italian ancestry, you just need to look at the surnames of their football team to see examples of that. 

• Like 1

Fosun bought Wolves in order to make money by moving players around, but they ended up being more successful than they thought so then started to take it more seriously, that information is public knowledge because of leaked emails sent by Jeff Shi. In a way that's perhaps a good thing for Wolves because whilst some owners might get bored and sell up if a certain level of success isn't reacheed, with Fosun even if their on field targets aren't met they still have a reason to stick around.

Don't think the nationality of players matters, wouldn't bother me if Villa had a team made up mostly of players from France, Ireland, or anywhere else as long as they were good enough.

17 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Don't kid yourself. Any business is a good business if it makes money Irregardless of Fosun's own wealth. 

Well, you may be right, but I don't think you are.

Football is a risky business to be in, and to be in it to just make money on transfers seems like a stupid strategy to me, but hey ho.

I would expect growing the club and brand would make more sense to them.  Of course they will want to do well in the transfer market, but I just don't see that being their primary motivation for owning the club.

13 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Well, you may be right, but I don't think you are.

Football is a risky business to be in, and to be in it to just make money on transfers seems like a stupid strategy to me, but hey ho.

I would expect growing the club and brand would make more sense to them.  Of course they will want to do well in the transfer market, but I just don't see that being their primary motivation for owning the club.

I think a lot less people than you realise outside of the Midlands club bubble have any idea that Fosun are linked to Wolves. 

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think a lot less people than you realise outside of the Midlands club bubble have any idea that Fosun are linked to Wolves. 

That's not right, I don't think many people have even heard of Fosun.

13 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Absolutely. Not sure how that makes what I said incorrect though!

I mean it's not right that it's less people than I realise.  Sorry I realise this may have come across as being pedantic, wasn't my intention.

I agree with you, people won't be aware of that.  Most of the time we're reported to be owned by the CEO of Fosun not the company, but people won't even be aware of that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, penguin said:

Their XI really is quality, although obviously a RWB needed at the moment.

Really don't know how they got away with and will continue to get away with such a threadbare squad though. You know if it was us with their team we'd have Jimenez ruled out for the season closely followed by Boly within a month or 2 of it starting.

Boly was actually injured for a few months last season but they just moved Dendoncker or Saiss back into defence and were just as solid. It's a very well drilled set of players.

19 hours ago, useless said:

Fosun bought Wolves in order to make money by moving players around, but they ended up being more successful than they thought so then started to take it more seriously, that information is public knowledge because of leaked emails sent by Jeff Shi. In a way that's perhaps a good thing for Wolves because whilst some owners might get bored and sell up if a certain level of success isn't reacheed, with Fosun even if their on field targets aren't met they still have a reason to stick around.

Don't think the nationality of players matters, wouldn't bother me if Villa had a team made up mostly of players from France, Ireland, or anywhere else as long as they were good enough.

I'm surprised by this. I see a lot of things differently as I don't have the local connection the majority you guys have, but if my local team or Villa for that matter fielded an all foreign team that would annoy me. To me the importance of a English spine or local spine (however you choose to word it), is one of the bits I identify with and I find it very important. A club with all Italian, French or whatever, wouldn't trigger the same connection to me. 

Some things in football transcends the more material aspects. There's a lot more to football than just being good at getting three points. 

In the same sense it's an entertainment industry, where the type of football being played matters, it's also an entertainment industry anchored in local history, values, families, feelings etc. When you create an all foreign 11 you lose some of what makes it magical to those who loves, lives and breaths the sport locally. 

But maybe I am old fashioned and alone in this. 

• Like 2

Â