Jimzk5

7 hours ago, Andy81 said:

@Jimzk5 Jota wasn't a full International when he joined us. He was someone Altetico Madrid signed that wasn’t good enough for them and was out on loan to Porto, playing under Nuno. 

The move to Wolves did make sense. Nuno obviously liked him and he wasn’t rated by his parent club. 

You’re saying a player of his calibre judging by how he seems to us all now, but at the time he was a 20 year old fringe player. 

Im gutted about this, £45m is a good price, but when it clicks for him he’ll be world class I think. Again, this is the model, happy to trust the club. 

Are Wolves going to spend big money before the window shuts Andy as Nuno wanted a bigger squad but it's one in and one out at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Are Wolves going to spend big money before the window shuts Andy as Nuno wanted a bigger squad but it's one in and one out at the moment.

We’re four players in and two out at the moment, in terms of first team anyway. 

Sounds like we will be bringing players in from Nuno’s comments today. Just wait and see now!

You're right though, the squad is too small. He’s trying to rebalance it for a new approach. It’ll be an interesting season for sure. 

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Signing Semedo from Barca for £38m

How do they plan on having enough home grown players in their 25 man squad? They cannot possibly have enough...

Home grown equals 3 years of training in the UK before they're 21

You also don't have to register anyone under the age of 21

That new Portuguese striker for example gets a shirt number but isn't classed as one of the 25 because of his age, when he is 21 he will be classed as home grown 

Last year neves wasn't named in the 25, this year hoever, neto, vinagre, silva, vintinho all don't have to be named 

If they don't have enough home grown players then they have to leave a gap 

Theoretically a team could have 0 home grown players and an unlimited number of U21 players and the rules would be fine with that 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

To be honest, as good as they are, the way they operate and the model they’re adopting isn’t something I’d be too pleased about if it were Villa.

One man is completely controlling their club. It just seems morally bankrupt that he’s making so much money just moving players around when he so pleases. It’s all just soulless.

Maybe I’m just jealous but everytime I see they have signed a Portuguese player - Yawn. 

• Like 2

On 19/09/2020 at 10:08, penguin said:

Strange signing for Liverpool I think, not that I don’t think he’s a quality player.

Centre Midfield looks to be the obvious area they need to improve. Why spend £45m on someone to challenge Minamino & Shaqiri to be Mane/Salah’s backup.  

Centre mid is probably their strongest area. They have Thiago, Henderson, Ox, Fabinho, Milner, Keita and Wijindum.

Signing another forward makes sense as the main three played so many times last season. 

As for wolves fair play, they seem to be getting good players and selling at a good price. The Mendes link up works for them.

Edited by mikeyp102

Its a strange situation isn't it. It works for Wolves but would I want it at Villa? Not so sure? They've got one British player in their starting line up. Only a handful in the squad. Not sure i'd like that to be honest. 

Edited by Xela

49 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Centre mid is probably their strongest area. They have Thiago, Henderson, Ox, Fabinho, Milner, Keita and Wijindum.

Signing another forward makes sense as the main three played so many times last season. 

As for wolves fair play, they seem to be getting good players and selling at a good price. The Mendes link up works for them.

Thiago was an excellent signing, didn’t realise that was confirmed before my post. Before him I’d say it was pretty ordinary, in comparison to elite European club bracket they are in. Most of their play seemed to revolve around bypassing it.

4 hours ago, Xela said:
9 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Signing Semedo from Barca for £38m

How do they plan on having enough home grown players in their 25 man squad? They cannot possibly have enough...

Its a strange situation isn't it. It works for Wolves but would I want it at Villa? Not so sure? They've got one British player in their starting line up. Only a handful in the squad. Not sure i'd like that to be honest. 

I am pretty sure the Portuguese guys are a lot better at speaking English than Coady :P 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

To be honest, as good as they are, the way they operate and the model they’re adopting isn’t something I’d be too pleased about if it were Villa.

One man is completely controlling their club. It just seems morally bankrupt that he’s making so much money just moving players around when he so pleases. It’s all just soulless.

Maybe I’m just jealous but everytime I see they have signed a Portuguese player - Yawn. 

on one hand it does seem that there's a single point of failure in mendez. he goes, their whole model falls apart. but i cant help but confess that i'd love it if players like semedo were signing for villa. that's the calibre of player we can only dream of signing. hopefully when we get to that stage, it will be based on our reputation, and not just some relationship with a super agent

14 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree. Furthermore, I would be on pins and needles having owners from the People's Republic of China these days. At anytime the Chinese Communist Party could order them to sell the club or block cash-flow out of China.   

21 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Agree. Furthermore, I would be on pins and needles having owners from the People's Republic of China these days. At anytime the Chinese Communist Party could order them to sell the club or block cash-flow out of China.   

With Mendes I don't think it would matter that much. They'd just be loaned the players or bring in the stupid low fees again

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Home grown equals 3 years of training in the UK before they're 21

You also don't have to register anyone under the age of 21

That new Portuguese striker for example gets a shirt number but isn't classed as one of the 25 because of his age, when he is 21 he will be classed as home grown 

Last year neves wasn't named in the 25, this year hoever, neto, vinagre, silva, vintinho all don't have to be named 

If they don't have enough home grown players then they have to leave a gap 

Theoretically a team could have 0 home grown players and an unlimited number of U21 players and the rules would be fine with that 

Imagine thats why they signed sarkic probably classed as homegrown talent 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Surely he'd have to be at the club on his 18th birthday for this to be the case, so he'll miss it by a matter of months.

56 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Surely he'd have to be at the club on his 18th birthday for this to be the case, so he'll miss it by a matter of months.

They dont use his birthday as the rule, they use Jan 1st that season, based on the season he turns 21, seasons officially starts 1st July 

So he will be classed as under 21 for the 23/24 season, in Jan 2024 he will be classed as home grown and then 24/25 he can be registered as one of the 8

I think anyway 

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They dont use his birthday as the rule, they use Jan 1st that season, based on the season he turns 21, seasons officially starts 1st July 

So he will be classed as under 21 for the 23/24 season, in Jan 2024 he will be classed as home grown and then 24/25 he can be registered as one of the 8

I think anyway 

Fair enough, that makes sense. Puts it's somewhat in line with what they do for U21 national teams qualifying. 

Â