West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

I think people are being harsh on Fat Sam.

He is trying to build a starting point with this team and that starting point has to be a solid base. If he can’t get that big right he has no chance of sorting the rest of the team. 

He is in only his second match in change, has recruited no players and has faced two of the most dangerous attacking sides in the league (yes us!) 

He will look to try and sort the defence first and keep clean sheets then build from there, I’m not sure what people are expecting from him? He can’t go and attack Liverpool they’ll get hammered and that’s no good for moral.

I really wouldn’t bet against him keeping them up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I really wouldn’t bet against him keeping them up.

I would (if I was a betist). nothing to do with fatty - just that of the other struggling sides, apart from Sheff U, they're all quite significantly better than the yam yams - players and tactically. I don't see fat sam as better than Bilic either.

Sam might keep them up, but I think the odds are against him doing it, so I'd bet on them going down.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

I would (if I was a betist). nothing to do with fatty - just that of the other struggling sides, apart from Sheff U, they're all quite significantly better than the yam yams - players and tactically. I don't see fat sam as better than Bilic either.

Sam might keep them up, but I think the odds are against him doing it, so I'd bet on them going down.

Odds are definitely against him, the points position dictates that. I still wouldn’t lay a bet against them.

I’m assuming he has been promised funds for January, I doubt he would have taken the job otherwise so they will strengthen I’m sure and Burnley and Brighton above them could be caught.

As for Bilic, I personally think Sam is better I’m struggling to see what in Bilic’s PL career puts him on par, I also think Sam is significantly better equipped for the job at hand.

Fulham and Brighton are both catchable for West Brom, and both have some difficult fixtures coming up.

Brighton's bad form in particular seems to go under the radar, have only won once at home in an whole calander year, have only won once in the last fourteen this season, and have only taken 35 points from their last 38 Premier league games, so their bad form isn't anything new, they're probably a contender for most overrated team in the league.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Good result for the baggies today, but Liverpool were nowhere near the level they usually play at. If an in form Liverpool team turn up there simply aren't many teams that can resist them. Not trying to diminish the result, but I highly doubt we see Liverpool play that poorly again at home this season. If they do, they'll lose if they're playing a higher quality oppo.

Regarding the baggies staying up though, I think we have to be mindful of two points;

1. The level of investment over the summer, or lack of, meant they were always always going to struggle. They were onto a hiding to nothing any way, they're arguably one of the worst teams to ever come up. The wheels fell off for them in the last third of last season, and Brentford really should have got pipped them to the post. They are a championship squad that is woefully short of quality, form, and confidence.

2.  I thought Bilic being sacked was an awful decision, and the quality of football is not going to improve under Allardyce. That being said, he set them up very well today and they took a deserved point at Anfield. Fair play to him.

As an aside, all this mind the gap stuff we see from other Villa fans on facebook/twitter is a little small time. We should be head and shoulders above them. Our first XI is so much better than theirs; we've spent millions and millions more, and our club finally feels like everyone is pulling in the same direction. I feel sorry for their fans more than anything. Their owner is sucking the premier league money out of the club. They need to invest massively to even compete with some of the lesser teams in the league. It can be no fun for the fans. I think we can all sympathize with that, especially the years Randy closed his wallet and when we nearly went to the wall under Tony. Talk of them going down to have another go at coming up again is pie in the sky. They're going to need to appoint a new manager when Big Sam leaves at the end of the season, which means they'll need to spend money bringing in players for the new manager. I can't see them coming back up for a good long while under the current ownership.

Also, I grew up in an era when the baggies were perpetually in the bottom half of what was division 2. They were never a rival to Villa, and I still don't see them as one now. My views may be completely abhorrent to those that were used to the baggies being in the top flight.

• Like 1

When they finished above us, and when we went down, I agree they made the most of it, but that's what counts as success for small clubs with a small club mentality. For us it's silverware and going toe to toe with the big boys of Europe. Being annoyed with them is like an elephant being annoyed with an ant because it's on the same road. Same with the other West Midlands clubs (traditionally, looks like Wolves are here for a while longer yet :) ).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mykeyb said:

1-1 have to say no more than they deserve

had more shots on target than Liverpool, Grant chance shows difference in quality between us and them for example. Watkins puts that away for me and they need a striker

Â