January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

If last summer taught us anything, it's that idle speculation regarding potential signings is completely pointless. I don't think anyone would have even taken a punt on Benteke, Vlaar, El Ahmadi, Bennet, Westwood, Bowery or Lowton joining the Villa. So there really isn't much point in trying to second guess Lambert. You're best option would be to look at the Feyenord team and find someone with a release clause in his contract.

Exactly we (as fans) have no idea who we (as a club) shall be after..or even what type of player lambert thinks we need... Nice to have it that way and that we eventually have scouts in place... Gone are the days of hearing the names like (every window) and knowing that even that woul be our most foreign import

I refuse to participate in an Aston Villa speculation thread that won't entertain the possibility of a Jermain Defoe/Benni McCarthy/Miguel triple swoop.

we got Robbie Keane eventually so probably might get 1 in January ;). Miguel is currently unemployed so can snap him up now :D

didnt we get linked with Haim Revivo a lot around 2000?

Stating the obvious, but I suppose the most ideal window would see something like...

• Hutton, Makoun and Delfouneso out for a bit of money
  • Warnock out for anything, or at least on loan until his contract runs down.

..then a couple 'ifs'...

• If we bring in another centre-back, we can either try and sell Dunne for whatever we can get or loan him out until his contract runs down.
  • Given could go on the proviso a suitable replacement is guaranteed.
  • If we decide to cut our loss on N'Zogbia, we get a fair (ish) offer for him and we can replace/strengthen the wide areas.
  • Bent out provided a] the money's big and b] all of said money is made available to considerably strengthen the team (including another striker).

Aaron Hunt isnt a bad shout. Quality player.

Another one we were linked with in the summer, Yoan Gouffran (Bordeaux) striker/winger, could probably play the role Weimann does right now. He has started the season with Bordeaux very well, scoring something like 9-10 goals already (all comps..)

Yeah Aaron Hunt really caught my eye during the preseason friendly with Werder Bremen. Seems to be a very competent midfielder, especially in the attack. Also, I think he is the type of player we could realistically target.

Not really seen much of Gouffran, but I would like to think it is wise to get in another wide player, and if he has been doing well, then great.

Hope we try for Martin Olsson from Blackburn, he'd be reasonably cheap and both a better left back and winger than anybody in our squad. He also plays in the lower leagues now so it should be right up Lamberts ally

I never heard of that (admittedly was busy transfer deadline day) how come it never went through?

Same here - so I did a bit of looking last night and there are quotes from his agent, but they were from goal.com, and tribal. He said the deal was wrapped up for a season long loan with an option to buy at the end of it. Bony and his agent were ready to fly to brum, but then at the last minute vitessse said they were only interested in selling him. We agreed on 10 mill euros but they wanted more and the deal fell through. Bony was pissed apparently so maybe in jan??

I'd never heard of him, so did the youtube thing....what a player he looks! 12 in 11 games so far. Beast!

As mentioned earlier in the thread the coming 6-7 months will determine if we are to remaine as an elite club, if we go down i don't think we'll go up again unless we find a new mega rich owner

I agree... Right now, in ten years time, there is more chance of us being in League 1, than there is of us breaking into the Top 4.

• Like 1

I reckon we should look to the teams that qualified for the u21 international champs next year and grab a few players from Norway. Their team's hammered France, and should have beaten England twice. Players like Henriksen, Berisha, Wolf Eikrem and Nordtveit are all great midfielders with great ability. They'd all come cheap as most norwegian players do if you don't buy them off lyon. :D

Isnt Bony similar enough to Benteke. Always thought it was one or the other

Might very well be one or the other, but from what i've seen of Bony (only a few games to be honest) they are not really that similar and might work very well together.

Bony is faster, shorter and has a better touch and technique than Benteke who is equally strong but taller and more of a target man