January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I think Arsenal are actually favourites to signing Forren

He'd fit into their side really well

Vegard Forren would never get into the Arsenal-side, at least not now. There is a pretty big gap between the Norwegian Tippeliga and the Premier League. He would be good in Belgium or something like that, but to say he is the next big thing already is a bit early. He has 4 games for Norway, against Thailand, South Korea (in a stupid friendly tournament), as well as Switzerland (where he was OK) and Cyprus.

Guess he is on about the same level as Baker, who would also rule in Norway.

Really wish we'd got Berbatov. That guy is absolute class.

This only seems to happen under certain managers imo - Jol being one of them.

I do not think he would have made any impact for us and we already have a sulking striker of our own to deal with atm.

Might very well be one or the other, but from what i've seen of Bony (only a few games to be honest) they are not really that similar and might work very well together.

Bony is faster, shorter and has a better touch and technique than Benteke who is equally strong but taller and more of a target man

thats how i saw it, i reckon Bony & Benteke would be some partnership! Benteke a more taller target man, but Bony more of a poacher plus being 23 and 22 would be excellent.

Check his goals out here!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKWodin3QOk

I have faith in Lambert to get it right.

The only new player I'd even vaguely heard of that he brought in over the summer was Vlaar - and even then a lot of people had written him off after a poor Euro 2012. So i'm sure whoever he brings in this time will be new to us, from lower leagues or abroad.

The only thing I demand is that we bring in a left back. Bennett has looked massively out of his depth so far (hopefully just due to injury/fitness and settling in problems) and though Stevens played well against United...that's 1 game.

We were also trying to sign Dempsey so the possible signing of Berbatov would not necessarily have meant 'no Benteke.'

Dempsey isn't a striker. We would not have ended the transfer window with Gabby, Bent, Weimann, Delfouneso, Berbatov, Benteke and Bowery. You don't need that many strikers.

Anyway, Berbatov would never have happened and I don't know why people keep on going on about it. He would have always chose us over Fulham because of the Jol connection, he would've demanded too high wages and he's quite old. Benteke was the long term option and Berbatov was the short term one. Thank God our manager has the long term in mind, which is more than can be said about some of our other managers.

Dempsey isn't a striker. We would not have ended the transfer window with Gabby, Bent, Weimann, Delfouneso, Berbatov, Benteke and Bowery. You don't need that many strikers.

Anyway, Berbatov would never have happened and I don't know why people keep on going on about it. He would have always chose us over Fulham because of the Jol connection, he would've demanded too high wages and he's quite old. Benteke was the long term option and Berbatov was the short term one. Thank God our manager has the long term in mind, which is more than can be said about some of our other managers.

Fonz and Bowery were never going to be 1st teamers as you can see with Fonz out on loan. That would have left us with Bent, Benteke, Gabby and Weimann none of whom are a number 10 play in the hole striker and that's why we went for Dempsey. So Berbatov could still have been a possibility and wouldn't have affected the purchase of Benteke which was your original point. Both Berbatov and Dempsey play similar roles so there's your answer.

Fonz and Bowery were never going to be 1st teamers as you can see with Fonz out on loan. That would have left us with Bent, Benteke, Gabby and Weimann none of whom are a number 10 play in the hole striker and that's why we went for Dempsey. So Berbatov could still have been a possibility and wouldn't have affected the purchase of Benteke which was your original point. Both Berbatov and Dempsey play similar roles so there's your answer.

Berbatov is an out and out striker, Dempsey is not. We would not have bought both Benteke and Berbatov.

players can have experience from an earlier age nowadays, so we dont need to look at 30+ players anymore, id say 27, 28 at most, we could still get 3 years from a decent player on the wrong side of his career

Vegard Forren would never get into the Arsenal-side, at least not now. There is a pretty big gap between the Norwegian Tippeliga and the Premier League. He would be good in Belgium or something like that, but to say he is the next big thing already is a bit early. He has 4 games for Norway, against Thailand, South Korea (in a stupid friendly tournament), as well as Switzerland (where he was OK) and Cyprus.

Guess he is on about the same level as Baker, who would also rule in Norway.

Remember that he's on the team that's won the league twice in a row and he's got experience from europe - more than you can say about most of our cb's. Baker is okay, nothing more, nothing less. Forren is, from what I have seen, much better with his feet, in tackles, in the air and most of all at passing out of defense. On top of that he scores alot of goals from corners and free kicks. He's a bit like Vermaelen.

Berbatov is an out and out striker, Dempsey is not. We would not have bought both Benteke and Berbatov.

With all due respect Mantis it is a well known fact that Berbatov is not 'an out and out striker.' He actually has made his career by dropping into the hole behind the main striker and that's one of the reasons why he wasn't getting games at Manchester. He had a certain Wayne Rooney in front of him.

Your point was that by purchasing Berbatov it would have influenced the purchase of Benteke. I have proven otherwise as we also put in a bid for Dempsey (who plays in the same position as Berbatov) when signing Benteke and it would be refreshing for once to admit when your wrong instead of once again going off in a tangent to try and prove a point! I'm going to leave it at that.

It's highly unlikely that Berbatov would have been on our radar anyway given his wage demands. Signing players like him (of his age and wages) seems to be contrary to what Lambert is trying to do here.

Yeah but he went for Dempsey who would probably be on a fair whack at Spuds.