January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

With all due respect Mantis it is a well known fact that Berbatov is not 'an out and out striker.' He actually has made his career by dropping into the hole behind the main striker and that's one of the reasons why he wasn't getting games at Manchester. He had a certain Wayne Rooney in front of him.

Your point was that by purchasing Berbatov it would have influenced the purchase of Benteke. I have proven otherwise as we also put in a bid for Dempsey (who plays in the same position as Berbatov) when signing Benteke and it would be refreshing for once to admit when your wrong instead of once again going off in a tangent to try and prove a point! I'm going to leave it at that.

You haven't proven anything. Berbatov and Dempsey are not the same kind of player at all. Whilst Berbatov might not be an out and out goal scoring striker, he's still a striker. Having said that I wouldn't mind us signing Berbatov at all. I don't think anyone would've complained. But I find it hard to see him and Benteke play good together. Berbatov and Bent, maybe. Good for the short term, maybe not as good for the long term.

You haven't proven anything. Berbatov and Dempsey are not the same kind of player at all. Whilst Berbatov might not be an out and out goal scoring striker, he's still a striker. Having said that I wouldn't mind us signing Berbatov at all. I don't think anyone would've complained. But I find it hard to see him and Benteke play good together. Berbatov and Bent, maybe. Good for the short term, maybe not as good for the long term.

I disagree. Both Berbatov and Dempsey play in the same role just of the front striker and connecting midfield with attack. The poster's point was that by signing Berbatov it would have stopped the transfer of Benteke. While signing Benteke we also put in a bid for Dempsey so that actually does prove my point that by signing Berbatov it wouldn't have stopped Lambert from purchasing Benteke as well and as it has turned out Berbatov would have been the better signing.

I disagree. Both Berbatov and Dempsey play in the same role just of the front striker and connecting midfield with attack. The poster's point was that by signing Berbatov it would have stopped the transfer of Benteke. While signing Benteke we also put in a bid for Dempsey so that actually does prove my point that by signing Berbatov it wouldn't have stopped Lambert from purchasing Benteke as well and as it has turned out Berbatov would have been the better signing.

No, it really doesn't. Dempsey is an attacking midfielder and Berbatov is a striker. And besides, I guess that Berbatovs wages are far higher than Dempseys and I think that's one of our mai problems. Giving old players too high wages.

No, it really doesn't. Dempsey is an attacking midfielder and Berbatov is a striker. And besides, I guess that Berbatovs wages are far higher than Dempseys and I think that's one of our mai problems. Giving old players too high wages.

No problem. We'll agree to differ.

With all due respect Mantis it is a well known fact that Berbatov is not 'an out and out striker.' He actually has made his career by dropping into the hole behind the main striker and that's one of the reasons why he wasn't getting games at Manchester. He had a certain Wayne Rooney in front of him.

Your point was that by purchasing Berbatov it would have influenced the purchase of Benteke. I have proven otherwise as we also put in a bid for Dempsey (who plays in the same position as Berbatov) when signing Benteke and it would be refreshing for once to admit when your wrong instead of once again going off in a tangent to try and prove a point! I'm going to leave it at that.

He's certainly more of an out and out striker than Dempsey.

No actually once again you have not proven anything. My argument was based more on just Dempsey and Berbatov being different players but also on the financial side. It's highly unlikely we would've bought an experienced striker on massive wages and then bought a young striker for a big transfer fee. Not only that but Berbatov is clearly not a Lambert-type signing. Lambert clearly doesn't like buying old players that will demand high wages and good on him.

Have you not stopped to consider that the Dempsey bid was a ruse to get Genk to hurry up with Benteke? Not saying it's fact but it should definitely be considered as a possibility.

And please, stop with this obsession with people being wrong. You do it with every post when most of the time you've just given your opinion and then called people wrong because they don't agree with that opinion.

Seeing Downing been told he can leave. I´d take him back in a heartbeat, wont happen though, too high wages, never go back etc etc. IMO hes a great player and just what we need. Can see MON going for him.

• Like 1

Happy we didn't sign both Dempsey and Berbatov. Think both are over-rated and too costly right now.

Wouldn't have Downing back either, simply because he was a penis about the way he left.

In fact, the only person I would have back out of our recent leavers is Milner, because, I love him.

Seeing Downing been told he can leave. I´d take him back in a heartbeat, wont happen though, too high wages, never go back etc etc. IMO hes a great player and just what we need. Can see MON going for him.

Liverpool would probably make a proft it MON tries to buy him.

So he's at another 'crossroads' in his life then, where he needs to think about his future? Champions League football that he was after must have been satisfying since leaving us.

What a nobber!

Would Downing fit into our problematic LB position, actually being more of a wing back? I know Rodgers has played him there and we could switch him further up the field when needed. Not saying i would want that especially since he's not that great tackling someone but possibily a 2 in 1 first teamer.

So he's at another 'crossroads' in his life then, where he needs to think about his future? Champions League football that he was after must have been satisfying since leaving us.

What a nobber!

So does Liverpool still owe us money?

Downing is another one of these players whose "big move" (Keane, Bridge, Nzogbia, Wright-Phillips, Owen, Adebayor...) didn't work out and who has to come to terms with that.

Some players dust themself of and get back to form in a new club, others never reach the same hights again. I kinda think Downing is of the latter kind and will never reach the form he had with us. He'd still easilly be the best winger at our club, but not worth any massive salary