January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

My thinking was if the worst happens ie lose to WBA and don't get past Bradford, Lerner pulls trigger new man in and a week of window left to get through £20 to £30m

Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Just swap "Lerner pulls trigger new man in and a week of window left to get through £20 to £30m" for "Lerner sticks with Lambert and gives him **** all to spend" and we're on the same page.

If you listen to Lambert's interview, he says there will be no big money buys - in this context, by "big money" I think he means decent £5m-type signings with corresponding wages that he was lead to beleive at the start of the window were possible

My understanding is that there would be limited funds to bring in a couple of loan signings or maybe £1m league 1 players but would they improve the first XI - probably not. For example a Lowton-type CB would end up fifth choice so how would that help us

I just can't figure Lerner out - £10m doesn't seem a huge gamble when he could lose ten times that much if we are relegated

Big money could also be in reference to Bent as he has referred to this before but more likely between the 5m-8m amount?

However, it doesn't really matter what he was referring to. If he has summitted a list of players he wants and the chairman won't back him then i really can't see anywhere for Lambert to go other than to tender his resignation.

If we lose our next couple of games will that change the chairman's mind given that what you and Hairyhands say is correct of course?

Wonder if Lerner is holding back the money for a new manager ?

This has been my thinking also CI since the news from the said posters. Edited by Morpheus

If there's no money there's no money, what can I do about it? Could get all shouty on a message board though I'm not sure who that benefits.

Oh well, we go with what we have then. If you choose to believe the ITKs that is. I mean they're usually spot on.

Interesting caveat too, "he might change his mind again". Thanks.

How much do you think to pay off Lambert and recruit a new manager?

One reason, only one and not the main one by any stretch, why it is madness to get rid of Lambert. Just compounds the mistakes made over the last few years. Mind you given past Lerner actions and total cock ups nothing would surprise me

Exactly. Expect the unexpected with dumb & dumber running the club.

If there's no money there's no money, what can I do about it? Could get all shouty on a message board though I'm not sure who that benefits.

Oh well, we go with what we have then. If you choose to believe the ITKs that is. I mean they're usually spot on.

Interesting caveat too, "he might change his mind again". Thanks.

Haha c'mon mate, they have to cover all bases here. Don't want to put their ITK status at risk.

Big money could also be in reference to Bent as he has referred to this before but more likely between the 5m-8m amount?

However, it doesn't really matter what he was referring to. If he has summitted a list of players he wants and the chairman won't back him then i really can't see anywhere for Lambert to go other than to tender his resignation.

If we lose our next couple of games will that change the chairman's mind given that what you and Hairyhands say is correct of course?

This has been my thinking also CI since the news from the said posters.

These quotes are a direct response to being asked if there would be big money signings like when GH signed Bent and Makoun 2 years ago in the January window. Nothing really new in what PL said.

I thought he was referring to Bents 20 mill as big money signings in his conference as well. Lets face it you dont get much for under 5 mill in todays market.

I've no idea at all what is in Lerners mind

I know ITK's are ridiculed on here but mostly people hear the odd thing which they pass on, never the full story. At the start of the window PL definitely believed he could bring in a number of "decent" players (2 or 3?) - he was asked to submit a list of quite a few names and PF went to work on it. The only name I know we enquired about was Sissoko but wage demands were far too high.

For some reason things changed yesterday and PL was told that there is no money for the £5m-type signings he thought we would bring in. Reading between the lines, I think there may be funds to bring in a couple of £1-2m players or loanees but PL may not want to do that because he needs players who can make an immediate impact

I really don't believe that they are waiting until after the Bradford game to sack Lambert but who knows

I also don't know why PL doesn't walk. I don't think he is here for the money personally more for the challenge and the opportunity. It could be that Lerner has convinced him to buy into the financial plan but he looks like a man on the edge to me. It wouldn't surprise me if we struggle tomorrow and Tuesday if he went but i think that would be his decision not RL/PFs

Whatever, what a mess our club is in at the moment

HH, and VC may be right, there may be no further investment by RL, maybe he has had enough and decided to rein in his spending.

But that would'nt make sense.His investment , AVFC, would diminish in value significantly if we were to be relegated.It would be like owning a house and refussing to repair a leaky roof, a little investment would secure the property, and maintain its worth.

Maybe its a ploy.The Jan transfer window is notoriously expensive, maybe PL, and RL, are playing a game of poker with the agents, and waiting for better terms, and expectations of them before doing any deals, otherwise i do think we are in trouble.

I can't believe he hasn't walked if its the case the terms have changed ....bearing in mind one of his Mentors and who he referred to as Gaffer in the interview today ,MON supposedly walked and successfully claimed constructive dismal for that very issue.

HH, and VC may be right, there may be no further investment by RL, maybe he has had enough and decided to rein in his spending.

But that would'nt make sense.His investment , AVFC, would diminish in value significantly if we were to be relegated.It would be like owning a house and refussing to repair a leaky roof, a little investment would secure the property, and maintain its worth.

Maybe its a ploy.The Jan transfer window is notoriously expensive, maybe PL, and RL, are playing a game of poker with the agents, and waiting for better terms, and expectations of them before doing any deals, otherwise i do think we are in trouble.

and i bet agents are round PL / PF like flies round sh#t at the moment as they know we'll be desperate. in the end its who is fooling who though - agents can flog their players to whoever pays the most, they dont care if we go down or not. i get the impression PF wouldnt know one end of a deal from the other

I can't believe he hasn't walked if its the case the terms have changed ....bearing in mind one of his Mentors and who he referred to as Gaffer in the interview today ,MON supposedly walked and successfully claimed constructive dismal for that very issue.

Factual correction: MON did not successfully claim constructive dismissal. Both parties settled out of court prior to the Tribunal with neither side admitting liability.

I would love that to be the case but sadly it's not

A couple of decent signings would make a world of difference to us - I just can't figure out what RL's thinking is. He will lose a foture if we go down

The ITK b*llocks has really reached a new, hilarious low on VT. Great amusement for a Friday.

I could understand your comment if ITKs were coming on saying we were signing Wayne Rooney or Lionel Messi but what is your problem with ITKs saying that we will not be making any big money signings and then the Evening Mail and Paul Lambert confirm that a few hours later

HH's ITK's have been spot on so far