January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I think the £10m plus loans is pretty much what we will end up spending. Unless Bent is sold of course.

Saying that maybe any money we spend this window will be on the proviso that we sell Bent in the summer.

Still think we need a CB, DM and ACM are priorities though.

Glad really that Lamberts focusing on tonights game, he'll want to get this one right. Then I think we might see a couple of swift moves into the European market.

I hope he's got his eyes on a no-nonsense brick shithouse to use in rotation with Vlaar and Baker. And please McGrath theres some substance to the Coutinho/ Aubameyang whispers.

Glad really that Lamberts focusing on tonights game, he'll want to get this one right. Then I think we might see a couple of swift moves into the European market.

I hope he's got his eyes on a no-nonsense brick shithouse to use in rotation with Vlaar and Baker. And please McGrath theres some substance to the Coutinho/ Aubameyang whispers.

Add Gouffran as third with those two.

Long-ish post, but whilst the transfer talk is a bit quiet, give it a read…

I think if you look at any consistently successful team in the PL, they have 2 things – (1) quality players throughout the spine of the team and (2) strength in depth. We at the moment have neither.

I say neither but that is quite harsh – we do have some quality players, unfortunately we don’t have them evenly distributed throughout the core positions in the side, plus of the quality players we have, quite a few are injury prone – which is why point (2) Strength in depth, is so important, to us more than anyone!

I think Lambert will have in mind the aim to get a squad of around 25 senior pros – all of whom are solid players at a minimum. He knows he needs to dump the old, bad attitude, high earning/low performers which have blighted us for so long – and the speed in which he can do that will be key to how quickly he can achieve his ideal squad.

For me the blueprint needs to be something like what’s set out below – 22 players, one for every position on the pitch, supplemented with a few low earning utility players + youth. The teams below are a ‘what if’ example – some of these players are not going to come (Lescott for example), but they represent the kind of quality we need in those areas. Of that second team I actually think the likes of N’Zogbia (unless he picks up fast), Given (for wage reasons) and Lichaj (quality reasons) could be phased out in the long run, but when you look at the players on the sold/released list, they are not the priority in terms of shifting people!

Team 1

----------------Benteke-----------------

Gabby ---------------------- Weimann

-------Coutinho --- Westwood--------

-----------------Diame-------------------

Bennett --- Vlaar --- Lescott --- Lowton

---------------- Guzan ------------------

Team 2

----------------Bowery-----------------

N’Zog ------------------------ Goufran

------- D. Stevens --- Bannan------------

-----------------Delph-------------------

Cavanda --- Baker --- Clark --- Lichaj

---------------- Given ------------------

Additional squad players

Herd

Albrighton

El Ahmadi

E. Stevens

Gardner

Carruthers

D Johnson

Sold / Released

Holman

Ireland

Bent

Dunne

Hutton

Warnock

I see what you are thinking there but dont expect the likes of Coutinho, Lescott to come here. I think Lambert wants to build a squad of 24/25 players all of who to a large extent have similar level of ability. I.e. If we do need to rotate we can and it isnt to the detriment of the side too much. Will take a few windows yet, thats for sure. Also Diame isnt a DM, he likes to bomb forward and sometimes plays wide midfield.

I know what you are saying Omariqy, but I wouldn't like to completely rule out those types of players. I agree that the likes Lescott are very unlikely but Coutinho shouldn't be - I mean look at Newcastle, they've just signed Matthew Debuchy, the first choice fullback for France and they are only a couple of points above us, with far less heritage as a club!

And yes that vision is a long term one, but I also think there is a now a need to try and get at least one central defender and and one central midfielder of true quality in to get us out of the hole we're in.

Just when Bennett starts to show a bit of promise, why would Lambert go out and buy a left back when he already has Stephens & Lichaj that can play there, I know that Cavanda is a prodominantly right sided player but Lowton has been extremely solid this season. I don't see it to be honest. The team/s you have above maybe begin to take shape in the summer but I think you are expecting an awful lot if you believe to see a new CB, FB DM, CM, AM, W by the end of the month.

Just when Bennett starts to show a bit of promise, why would Lambert go out and buy a left back when he already has Stephens & Lichaj that can play there, I know that Cavanda is a prodominantly right sided player but Lowton has been extremely solid this season. I don't see it to be honest. The team/s you have above maybe begin to take shape in the summer but I think you are expecting an awful lot if you believe to see a new CB, FB DM, CM, AM, W by the end of the month.

Because Lichaj is rubbish

We still need a backup and someone to rotate with Lowton as we don't have anyone good enough to play there.

Folski - if you read my post properly you will see that I'm suggesting this to be a long term plan, so this month would only see a couple of these players come in - but they need to be part of this bigger plan.

And regarding Cavanda - firstly he's able to play across the back, so cover a multitude of positions and secondly Lichaj and Stevens are not really good enough and Lambert knows this.

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS

I would like to see Gouffran and Coutinho in for a bit of excitement and M’Vila in DM (he’s apparently just turned down QPR).

It would also be nice to see another big Scandinavian CB to pair up with Vlaar just like the days of Mellberg & Laursen.

Aubameyang is not worth pursuing as he will head off to African Nations Cup.

I would think that little lot would cost in the region of £20M but if we ditch the deadwood i.e.: Makoun, N’Zogbia, Ireland, Dunne, Warnock, Hutton & Bent we would save money in wages and top up the kitty at the same time. I know we need experience but it’s no good if it’s all injured or sitting on the bench so why not trust in ability!?

We can all dream…

Lichaj is out of contract at the end of the season and Stevens isn't good enough. Leaving us with just Lowton and Bennett. Cavanda can play either side and therefore can challenge both of those for a starting spot. Also Bennett is injury prone and both him and Lowton could suffer burn-out if they are left to it all season. Maybe we will see Cavanda in and Lichaj out?

Folski - if you read my post properly you will see that I'm suggesting this to be a long term plan, so this month would only see a couple of these players come in - but they need to be part of this bigger plan.

And regarding Cavanda - firstly he's able to play across the back, so cover a multitude of positions and secondly Lichaj and Stevens are not really good enough and Lambert knows this.

Fair point I wasn't jumping on your back but I would still see that move for Cavanda being a first choice, as coming from a club like Lazio I would imagine he would want to play ahead of players who have come from Sheffield United & Middlesbrough, especially when he would want to enhance his international prospects. I would see that as unfair on both JB & ML, we do need cover at the full back positions I agree but I think there are more pressing matters to take care of at the minute.

It's more (quality) depth at full back. Hard to turn down. Maybe it's also someone for Benteke to bond with? There aren't that many French speakers in the team. Another reason why, if that ridiculous link of Coutinho would somehow go through, that we may go back to Porto for the defender Ba.