January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Nah, I'd still just spend all my day on here rather than getting any proper scouting work done.

Actually, hang on, it's the perfect job for me!

Any scout worth his salt would have at the top of his list, a free agent who was once described as the Togolese Zidane.

Lambert said something a few weeks ago to the effectthat he'd rather sign no-one than someone he doesn't really want. In other words he won't sign someone in a panic and then be stuck with them and their wages for the next three years.

Player and agent power rules the January window and I guess Lambert and Randy are making the call that they have the ability to keep us up with what we have, rather than risk more financial strain.

Not saying its not foolhardy or risky, but it does seem consistent with what we have seen thus far. Lambert strikes me as the sort of bloke who will not back down from a challenge, so I don't think Lambert will walk any time soon.

From what we know of Randy, he is a stubborn bastard and we have seen that he will cling to his position until the media start to ask the right questions and from that perspective I suspect we will see a few new faces in the last few days of the window.

Whether that's enough ... Well I guess its only time will tell.

• Like 1

There will be signings. There is another issue with January which i think could be playing a part. Sabotage. QPR have just done it to Newcastle and clubs are renowned for it this time of year, Getting wind of potential deals and then coming in with bigger offers etc. With our position being very dire we have to be honest and it would not take a lot at this current time for potential targets to have their heads turned by clubs higher up the table if they got wind and came in lastminute.com. I can totally understand Lambert been very cautious and keeping everything as close to his chest as possible in order to get the men he wants. Yes its risky leaving us to play a few games before getting these players in but if it means Lambert manages to talk to and complete the signings of the players he wants without losing them to other clubs or risking having a bidding war then i agree with that.

I like everyone else will be spitting feathers if we end up with nobody come February but i am 95% sure we will have ATLEAST a CB and CM be February.

Southampton news is great for us. Why on earth would they sack Adkins - he's the man behind their success to date. I fully expected them to pull away from the relegation zone but they've taken a huge gamble now.

Don't no much about Pochettino - he'd a good couple of seasons as a CB with Heinze at PSG.

with Vlaar and Dunne returining Randy probably refused to sanction a deal for a defender... I can understand that.. but a DM? is an absolute must.. Yeah we have about 20 players in midfield to pick from but their all shit.

I can understand the stalling over splashing the cash for a new CB.....Dunne is back in training and he is, for all intents and purposes, still employed by the club at present to do a job until sold or released. In that respect, if funds ARE'NT readily available, its perfectly feasible that Lerner may have changed his mind over shelling out unnecessary (in his eyes) cash. And I could imagine Lambert possibly 'working with that option'.

But, there is definitely a need for a new engine in midfield and I find it pretty hard to believe that Lerner refuses to back that. Surely any outlay, should we stay up, could be offset against the potential earnings for Prem teams next year? Or is whats really going on just by design....all smoke and mirrors maybe?

Slightly OT but...

I read an article a few weeks back in the Aussie press on Chris Herd - in an interview with his dad he said that Lambert had been planning to move Herd back into midfield for the Southampton game before he got injured.

This suggests that Lambert is aware of the problems we have in midfield and the need for a defensive mid in front of the defence.

'Might that change next week? Possibly'

Sounds like backtracking to me.

If I'm not mistaken, you were both saying there will NOT be signing. Now, things could change...

Yes mate that's right I'm back-tracking. It's impossible that anything could change in the next fortnight - Lerner has shown that he has got a detailed, firm plan and never ever says one thing and then later does something else - grow up

Yes mate that's right I'm back-tracking. It's impossible that anything could change in the next fortnight - Lerner has shown that he has got a detailed, firm plan and never ever says one thing and then later does something else - grow up

Villa might sign someone or might not! I'm ITK!!

Slightly OT but...

I read an article a few weeks back in the Aussie press on Chris Herd - in an interview with his dad he said that Lambert had been planning to move Herd back into midfield for the Southampton game before he got injured.

This suggests that Lambert is aware of the problems we have in midfield and the need for a defensive mid in front of the defence.

He was good last season when he was beside Petrov. It illustrates the benefits of having experienced players along side the younger guys because I don't think Herd is going to manage our midfield alongside Bannan, Delph, of Westwood.

You said something like 'We will NOT sign anyone'. Which was then followed by 'Could anything change in the next few weeks, possibly'.

So that, to Me, means that your original post (and subsequently your aggressive posts to people who doubted you) was, with all due respect, utter bullshit.

IMO, of course.