January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

dorrans is going to sha on trial

butland is still living off the fuss in the summer, he's thrown a couple in this season, including one last weekend, if he was a prem keeper the rags would have ruined him by now

dorrans is going to sha on trial

butland is still living off the fuss in the summer, he's thrown a couple in this season, including one last weekend, if he was a prem keeper the rags would have ruined him by now

Glad to see the Dorrans link, could be a really interesting player for us and could come in straight away; holds the ball well, sees a pass and likes a shot. £4million isn't a lot. but it's a fair chunk of any budget, hopefully a loan is on the cards.

Dorrans is a tricky one. On the one hand when he's good he would be better than what we have, but he's too inconsistent which both Ireland and Bannan already suffer from.

Dorrans is a bit like Jason Kumas. Great in the Championship but not so good when markers go tight on him.

He's better than Bannan though and if we did sell Bannan then i'd bring Dorrans in on loan only to see how he would fit into the team.

What about Chung-Yong Lee from Bolton...always thought he looked decent in the prem, has some skill to play on wing but also a great work ethic, still only 24 with plenty of experience.

Edited by mikeyp102

But compared to the names JulieB mentioned they were not known hot prospects, which was the point he was making.

For example Gareth Bale was wanted by spurs and manchester united and went for big money.

Theo was one of the hotest prospects in football at the time he moved to arsenal.

Comparing our signings to the ones she mentioned is pointless.

Why is it pointless ? Can you categorically state that none of our signings will become as good ?

Part of the point is that when Arsenal, Man Utd or Tottenham go after a youngster from a lower team it's too late for Villa, so it seems to me the new policy is spot that talent very early, nurture it and develop it here and if necessary sell at a profit.

I think the signing of Vlaar is an example that PL will sign experienced players, just potentially not players with Premier League Experience, as these tend not to represent good value.

Why is it pointless ? Can you categorically state that none of our signings will become as good ?

Part of the point is that when Arsenal, Man Utd or Tottenham go after a youngster from a lower team it's too late for Villa, so it seems to me the new policy is spot that talent very early, nurture it and develop it here and if necessary sell at a profit.

I think the signing of Vlaar is an example that PL will sign experienced players, just potentially not players with Premier League Experience, as these tend not to represent good value.

Like I keep asking and no one has answered me yet.

If this is so obviously the best approach why are no other clubs buying similar amounts of players from the lower league?

All the people on here who said it was a done deal were speaking complete rubbish as well. If it was, he wouldnt have played today.

Nobody said it was a done deal, a few people including myself said we expected us to renew our interest. Not the same thing.

If this is so obviously the best approach why are no other clubs buying similar amounts of players from the lower league?

to be fair how many had tried our other approach of buying young attacking english players only to fall short and end up selling them all?

newcastle's much lauded approach is about to do the same, can you see tiote and cabaye being there next season?

every "other" approach is as good as the next if you dont win anything, even arsenal's approach seems completely out dated now