January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Like I keep asking and no one has answered me yet.

If this is so obviously the best approach why are no other clubs buying similar amounts of players from the lower league?

I htink the point is it's the approach Paul Lambert has decided to take as Aston Villa Manager, is it the best approach ? that remains to be seen, but he seems determined that it will be the way he tackles the job. MON tackled the job using the opposite approach, and to be honest like you i think that somewhere between the two approaches you get the best of both worlds, however the problem with that is we still have a lot of deadwood earning a lot of money.

Given 60K

Warnock 40K

Hutton 35k

Richard Dunne 50K

Stephen Ireland 60K

Charles N'Zogbia 60K

Jean II Makoun 45K

Bent 60K

Agbonlahor 55K

and perhaps less fairly :-

Petrov 50K

That's around £515,000 per week or £27M per year in wages.

Now, if all of those players were contributing week in week out there wouldn't be such a problem, but these players are mostly either going through the motions when they do play, or have already been told they are surplus to requirements. The exceptions being Gabby, and Petrov. In my opinion Gabby is as abad value as the rest, but his position as "one of us' seems to put him above criticism.

So, anyone who says there is not a problem with wages at Villa Park is very wrong in my opinion, the problem is that 1 third of the squad is taking 2 thirds of the wages and contributing absolutely nothing, and i think until some of those players are moved on you'll see us continue to spend £2 - £5M on players from the lower leagues in the hope that some gems can be unearthed that will build a solid mid table team before that squad is added to with the kind of players we all crave that can add quality........once some of the above leeches have been removed.

If it wasn't obvious before, today showed we badly need new and better players, not just more of what we already have.

We beat Ipswich, big whoop! Lamberts men did the mere minimum for once wich is good but nothing more than what must be expected.

By all means enjoy this,

Go ahead and clap. Mediocrity deserves applause. Why don't we go find a Ford Focus and clap around it!

What the **** **** are you going on about ?

• Like 1

FFS can we just enjoy the win and the confidence and momentum we will hopefully have gleened from today. I know it's only Ipswich but we came from behind for the 2nd game running which shows character

didn't we lose to Ipswich some years back when we had a much better and more stable team, in fact we've been roasted in the cups on many occasions including under MON. Today had banana skin written all over it and we came through it.

we certainly don't lack conviction and determination and that lone is worth celebrating

It was a big mistake to sell Collins and Cuellar whilst Dunne was injured and only replace one of them.

We need to rectify that this window.

Collins was the biggest disruptive influence at the club and had to go

No but if last summer is anything to go by the rule should be 'If we are linked with a player on twitter we won't be signing them' :P

You say that but the link first re-appeared on here when Richard said it was nailed on. I then checked with someone who I got to ask Dale himself. This person wouldnt make up anything because its in his interest to have Dale stay and this person is also a good friend. I then posted what I have been told that he is on his way to us in Jan and its pretty much done. The twitter guff came afterwards. There are 1 or 2 people who have DM'ed me info that has been spot on, both on Twitter and here. With Villa its pretty much gonna be the case that a handful of people will know about the deal until it gets really close then people start to hear more info. I am certain that Dale will be a Villa player.

Dont get me wrong Twitter is 95% bull but there are one or two on there who managed to get some information regarding some of the moves. Although it was few and far between.

FFS can we just enjoy the win and the confidence and momentum we will hopefully have gleened from today. I know it's only Ipswich but we came from behind for the 2nd game running which shows character

absolutely. There were loads saying we would lose, others saying it didn't matter and yet now , well it was only a lower table championship team the result isn't that good! Amazing for me and as I said in the match thread, every silver lining has a cloud it seems

We have to stop leaking goals. A centre back is the priority - I really fear for us if Lambo is able\willing to plug this gap. It shouldn't cost the earth - Ive mentioned Distin a couple of times, but such is his form - even @ 35 years old, he looks like getting a new contract at Everton.

I just think we need an older head - to handle the few pressure cooker games between now and the end of the season

the papers make up plenty of nonsense, but they are (sometimes) closer to the truth than a ten year old anonymously posting on twitter as ITK to get attention.

One question no one has answered is why Lambert didn't buy Stephens in the summer? If he went with Westwood instead who did well, why go back in for Stephens? Not saying i don't think we should sign him at all, just saying.

I can tell you that the chairman went back on his word and tried to outsmart us and pay over the odds when a deal was almost agreed. This left DS devestated as he thought his dream move was off. I dont think he has been the same since for Charlton. I found out this about 2 or 3 months ago. At that point it looked like that we wouldnt go back or as far as DS was concerned he had missed out on his move. Tbf in the summer I thought Westwood was our alternative. Turns out I was wrong and we were always going back in for DS.

I htink the point is it's the approach Paul Lambert has decided to take as Aston Villa Manager, is it the best approach ? that remains to be seen, but he seems determined that it will be the way he tackles the job. MON tackled the job using the opposite approach, and to be honest like you i think that somewhere between the two approaches you get the best of both worlds, however the problem with that is we still have a lot of deadwood earning a lot of money.

Given 60K

Warnock 40K

Hutton 35k

Richard Dunne 50K

Stephen Ireland 60K

Charles N'Zogbia 60K

Jean II Makoun 45K

Bent 60K

Agbonlahor 55K

and perhaps less fairly :-

Petrov 50K

That's around £515,000 per week or £27M per year in wages.

Now, if all of those players were contributing week in week out there wouldn't be such a problem, but these players are mostly either going through the motions when they do play, or have already been told they are surplus to requirements. The exceptions being Gabby, and Petrov. In my opinion Gabby is as abad value as the rest, but his position as "one of us' seems to put him above criticism.

So, anyone who says there is not a problem with wages at Villa Park is very wrong in my opinion, the problem is that 1 third of the squad is taking 2 thirds of the wages and contributing absolutely nothing, and i think until some of those players are moved on you'll see us continue to spend £2 - £5M on players from the lower leagues in the hope that some gems can be unearthed that will build a solid mid table team before that squad is added to with the kind of players we all crave that can add quality........once some of the above leeches have been removed.

Well Bent played today, and despite the media hype - he was only not in the squad for 4-6 games. Gabby\Ireland have always been pretty close to the squad. Hutton\Warnock have just returned from loan spells.Dunne has been pretty much an ever present until his injury.

If we vilify our high earners and bomb them out of the club - we really have no future in the prem. Premier players earn big money - we need to accept this.

If we bomb all those players and replace them with players happy to take £10k a week. We won't be in the prem for long. - Be careful what you wish for.

Given 60K

Warnock 40K

Hutton 35k

Richard Dunne 50K

Stephen Ireland 60K

Charles N'Zogbia 60K

Jean II Makoun 45K

Bent 60K

Agbonlahor 55K

thats a ridiculous amount of money, what a waste, the current situation were in nobody deserves to earn that at this club

Given - thats alot for a back up/cup keeper

Makoun - we should refuse to pay any wages until he gets back here, well and truely mugged us off

Bent - maybe if he was one of the league top scorer every season

Gabby - he was free, so makes up for it

I know this may sound very stupid but come Feb 1st I'd be pretty happy with this

-------------Guzan

-------Vlaar------Chester/An experienced Cb

------------Leerdam

-----Westwood------Stephens/Bannan

Weimann----------------Coutinho

--------------Benteke

Subs

Given/another keeper with Siegrist getting games on loan

Clark

Lichaj

Herd

Ireland (or Ireland's replacement)

Agbonlahor

Bent (or Bent's replacement)

Well Bent played today, and despite the media hype - he was only not in the squad for 4-6 games. Gabby\Ireland have always been pretty close to the squad. Hutton\Warnock have just returned from loan spells.Dunne has been pretty much an ever present until his injury.

If we vilify our high earners and bomb them out of the club - we really have no future in the prem. Premier players earn big money - we need to accept this.

If we bomb all those players and replace them with players happy to take £10k a week. We won't be in the prem for long. - Be careful what you wish for.

Bent like it or not seems not to be in Lambert's plans, he wasn't being picked before his injury, and i suspect had this been a league game he would not have played today. He's as good as gone once a decent offer comes in.

Gabby / Ireland have been in and around the first team you're right, has either really justified their place ?

Hutton / Warnock while no worse than what we have been playing at left back and right back are not really any better either, so even with them back in the fold do you really expect to see them play ?

Dunne has been pretty much shit since his first season with us, and since his contract is up at the end of the season i don't expect even when fit he'll play for us.

Like it or not, the players above have hardly contributed anything to our cause this season, some of those players haven't been given a chance by this manager, others have been given a chance but not taken it, but it's a fact that these senior players have done nothing to help us (with the possible exception of Bent, who i'd personally like to see stay).

In any case you missed my point. The point is that we already have Experienced Premier League players in our squad, but they are the ones contributing least, and also the smae players that are holding us back from making some of the signings that certain posters have stated we should be signing (such as Lescott). In my opinion, if we didn't have Warnock, and Hutton on the books for example the Lescott signing would make an awful lot more sense.