Ashley Young

maqroll

Just now, Nigel said:

He looked good tonight. Dare I say first team ready straight from the off.

He's just won the Serie A title.  I should hope so! 

A real modern Pro, has looked after himself and should be able to come in and cover 15-20 games over the season easily. We have a really young team and another old head like that (Similar profile to JT) to cover Center half and we'd be set at the back.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 21:48, Keyblade said:

No more need to have a heart attack if Targett gets injured. He was great today. Very positive. We have some squad shaping up.

Ye Taylor used to give me nightmares!

I think even if he doesn't take a coaching role, he could still possibly take Terry's role as the older figurehead that the younger players can look up to at the club. Obviously Shakespeare has pretty much already taken Terry's role as Smith's assistant and we also have O'Kelly.

Plenty of candidates for a coaching role and JT replacement, including Young…

Would love Laursen & Mellberg back at the club… 

If he’s up to it, Cahill could give us CB cover for a year and take on JT’s role… would offer similar attributes…

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Plenty of candidates for a coaching role and JT replacement, including Young…

Would love Laursen & Mellberg back at the club… 

If he’s up to it, Cahill could give us CB cover for a year and take on JT’s role… would offer similar attributes…

We need top, quality coaches.

Not getting stuck in romance.

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Well, you’re always banging on about them and bigging them up, yet constantly criticise our manager and players…

Oh well. To each their own.

Wrong thread for this anyway.

Maybe Young could succeed JT… there are other options…

Jedinak.Don't know his qualifications mind.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd rather see them succeed elsewhere and prove themselves as top coaches and then bringing them back.

You are throwing around names like Laursen, Mellberg etc. What are their coaching credentials? Have they been successful coaches post retirement?

You don't hire people just out of sentimentality. Man Utd just hired Darren Fletcher with no credentials and they've been criticized by that appointment from many, myself included.

I think it's completely the wrong way to go. This might all sound very negative but I just want the best for the club, and get the best in class.

We have a great manager (I know you don’t agree but oh well) and an experienced assistant in Shakespeare.

What coaching experience did Terry have before he joined us? He o lay recently completed his coaching badges, while he was employed by us… and what we’re talking about his replacement…

Mellberg has managed, Laursen has expressed an interest in returning to the club and possibly may have completed his coaching badges…

Petrov too…

Cahill could do a similar thing and have a similar experience to JT, plus he could give us the CB cover we need for a season…

Bringing in inspirational and experienced figure in is not a bad idea, everyone has to start somewhere…

Of course you don’t bring someone in just out of sentimentality, you assess their ability and credentials before making a final decision… but why rule them out immediately?

Just suggestions, doesn’t have to be a former player… but players are more likely to look up to certain figures than others. Laursen would be hugely inspirational for our defenders… and could teach them a thing or two…

Anyway, this is the Young thread so maybe best to move on… not the place for this discussion…

Â