Ashley Young

maqroll

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He's basically been here for what will probably be the two best periods for Villa in last two decades. MON and Emery eras.

Surely a club legend now and would love him to stay here after he retires from the game. I think he surely has another 18 months in him. 

A lot of people would have you believe that leaving villa for a better club makes you a word removed and could never be a club legend. 

If he’d been shit enough to be here his whole career THEN he’d be a legend

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A lot of people would have you believe that leaving villa for a better club makes you a word removed and could never be a club legend. 

Milner left before Ash did and it was the owner who had pulled the plug. All our best players have left Villa for bigger clubs.

Milner, Barry, Young, Downing, Benteke, Grealish etc.. 

Like Milner, Barry, Young, Grealish all left and won many trophies. That's the way it goes

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Milner left before Ash did and it was the owner who had pulled the plug. All our best players have left Villa for bigger clubs.

Milner, Barry, Young, Downing, Benteke, Grealish etc.. 

Like Milner, Barry, Young, Grealish all left and won many trophies. That's the way it goes

Exactly my point. Unfortunately where we are as a club means all of our truly good players will eventually move on. Only the ones who aren’t that great stay for a really long time. 

In terms of consistency and quality this season thus far I'd probably have him just behind Dougie. My top 3 would be..

1. DL

2. Ash 

3 Mings. 

I think all 3 have been top draw this season. I'd probably have added Kamara to that list had he not had 2 months out. 

I can’t remember what game it was (maybe his 2nd/3rd appearance after we signed him) he started a game in midfield and when I saw the team sheet I thought as good as a pro as he is, how embarrassing is it that we were starting a 36yr old guy. 

Clearly I’m an idiot. My player of the season so far. 

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just watching a recap, his goal saving header was also a crucial/pivotal moment in the game wasn't it?

Such defensive awareness. It seems mad that (depending on your age of course) most of us remember him as a flying winger that terrorised defenders. 

The fact he managers to reinvent himself as top class fullback speaks volumes about his character. 

He is so important. You just have to see this week’s training videos and the way he is around the place. Embodiment of the camaraderie in the group atm, he’s always loved the Villa, and he’s still good enough on the pitch too. Watching him celebrate with the players and fans alike shows how good he’s been for us. Id give him another year no worries at all. His experience and nous is invaluable to us. Made a big difference this year. He was one of the only decent performers under Gerrard too.

• Like 1

Ashley has been a revelation, this season in particular. As a nice additional point, he makes other 37 years old stars look like complete tools, even disregarding antics outside of the pitch. Not mentioning names.

Edited by Gompedyret

How enjoyable watching his special goal-line clearance! 🤩 Normally an outfield player makes a goal-line clearance with their foot. Or with their head but whilst standing or maybe jumping upwards.

A flying header goal-line clearance, diving across the goal, is not something we see every day! 😵 Brilliant. (Perhaps he could have made a decent keeper. If he hadn't been a great flying winger terrorising defences!)

Edited by robby b

On 01/01/2023 at 21:45, Sulberto21 said:

. I love his shithousing on the pitch.

I’d say that’s one of the main reasons Emery likes him (his performances obviously also help). But he knows when to slow stuff down, there was a bit in the game yesterday, one of the spurs players (possibly Perisic) ran past him chasing the ball, Ash just cleverly stepped across his path to initiate a slight push. We win the freekick and stop any opportunity. We have rarely had people using their brains like that 

On 02/01/2023 at 09:53, Stevo985 said:

Dont agree. He left a sinking ship for a bigger club. He had the balls to come back here and win us back and more.

At 37 he has been unbelievable. Definitely legendary status for me. Besides who stays at their clubs throughout their whole careers anyway?

Very few rarely do. Vardy is probably a exception but i think had a really big club come in for him he would have jumped ship. 

On 03/01/2023 at 14:30, Demitri_C said:

Dont agree. He left a sinking ship for a bigger club. He had the balls to come back here and win us back and more.

At 37 he has been unbelievable. Definitely legendary status for me. Besides who stays at their clubs throughout their whole careers anyway?

Very few rarely do. Vardy is probably a exception but i think had a really big club come in for him he would have jumped ship. 

Vardy didn’t begin at Leicester, he famously played for fleetwood and a whole host of non league clubs before joining Leicester in his mid-20’s.

One club players are rare but to Stevo’s original point, if they do so at a Villa or an Everton (Tony Hibbert) it’s because they weren’t good enough for anything better.

I love this man! 

37 years old and keeps performing with such consistency! 

Plus he kept Neville’s wet dream in his pocket most of the game.

• Like 1

Â