Ashley Young

maqroll

Interesting that he is shown as a full back on the Villa official site (squad list).

Im sure he can play out wide ofc, but still interesting that he is noted as a full back specifically.

I wonder if there is a known "time limit" on JT before the strikes out into management so they may be looking at Ashley as a future coach?    The whole JT thing seems to have worked well for us, Ashley Young is someone who would command respect from anyone.

• Like 1

I suspect signing Ashley Young has 2 objectives:

• Firstly to hang around the first team, and fill in where his flexibility is required, for a season and to mentor the kids in training.
  • secondly to follow the Path of JT and replace him when he moves on in c 12 months time, to manage a club.

I think Ashley will end up on the coaching staff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I suspect signing Ashley Young has 2 objectives:

• Firstly to hang around the first team, and fill in where his flexibility is required, for a season and to mentor the kids in training.
  • secondly to follow the Path of JT and replace him when he moves on in c 12 months time, to manage a club.

I think Ashley will end up on the coaching staff.

I think he might play more than we are expecting here, he has just won the Scudetto.

If he is as dedicated and as humble as JT has been, he's definitely intelligent enough to move into coaching and it sounds like an ideal transition for everyone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think he might play more than we are expecting here, he has just won the Scudetto.

If he is as dedicated and as humble as JT has been, he's definitely intelligent enough to move into coaching and it sounds like an ideal transition for everyone. 

judging by the performances of the 2 Italian ageing centre backs, we have nothing to worry about with Ashley.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TRO said:

judging by the performances of the 2 Italian ageing centre backs, we have nothing to worry about with Ashley.

Agreed, fit high intensity Premier League players should have torn them a new one shouldn't they? Especially after an exhausting schedule of games? 

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Agreed, fit high intensity Premier League players should have torn them a new one shouldn't they? Especially after an exhausting schedule of games? 

Think they pretty much did……………………………for the first ten minutes, after that ………………not so much!

On 11/07/2021 at 20:37, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I agree but I don’t think he will make a position his own as such - I think he’ll pop up as first choice back up across the front 3 or as an attacking full back. If we sent out a team right now I think it would be Grealish, Buendia, Traore behind Watkins but I think Young would be the first option if any of them were missing (ie if Traore was missing the Buendia would play right, Grealish central, Young left; if Buendia was missing then Young/Grealish/Traore etc).

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

Guy looks extremely fit in those training photos.

What a top pro he is.

Really looking forward seeing how good he still is in PL. Can't forget that there is a big difference between Serie A and Premier League in terms of tempo and intensity. It isn't the same thing

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Can't forget that there is a big difference between Serie A and Premier League in terms of tempo and intensity. It isn't the same thing

Did you watch the Euros a couple of weeks ago? 

There seems to be a belief that Serie A is still in the 90's when BatiGol et Al were around. It's now about high intensity pressing and incredible levels of fitness coupled with high levels of skill and technique. 

The defensive side will always be there with the Italians. But now the games are quicker than before. Might not be as fast as the Premier League but it's quick.

P.S who won the EURO'S playing that way.

• Like 3

Â