Catalonia Independence

maqroll

On 10/4/2017 at 19:28, villakram said:

I've been in contact with some people in Barcelona and the level of violence, as it is, is vastly over represented in the media.

I had two friends (well, one friend one person I know of, tbh) that were over there as observers for the referendum.

One reported a lovely atmosphere, nice people, no drama.

One reported police physically assaulting people for no clear reason. Police just generally giving a kicking to anyone that ended up in front of them. Police randomly running around looking for someone to hit.

So I think there was an element of pot luck as to where you were and what police were bussed in from what other region. Closest comparison I can think of here would have been the miners' strike. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I had two friends (well, one friend one person I know of, tbh) that were over there as observers for the referendum.

One reported police physically assaulting people for no clear reason. Police just generally giving a kicking to anyone that ended up in front of them. Police randomly running around looking for someone to hit.

So I think there was an element of pot luck as to where you were and what police were bussed in from what other region. Closest comparison I can think of here would have been the miners' strike. 

That's the thing, a percentage of police around the world, get that riot gear on seem to become the aggressors when sometimes it simply isn't necessary. I presume a lot of these police have been drafted in from elsewhere like Madrid, where they've been known to be heavy handed with English fans club and country.

Although I've had the same in Barcelona, watching and a England game. Queuing at metro after the game. Someone tried to jump the barrier. I'm not even sure it was an England fan. The police piled in not caring who was there swinging their batons. I took a whack because I stepped in front of a couple of young children who were in the firing line.

Some police drafted were probably acting like they were fighting for Spain while others were doing their jobs.

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

except the miners strike was civilians attacking the police ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh. Spain has already imposed direct rule.

Game over, really, isn't it? If you're going to try and unilaterally declare independence, you'd better have an army to back it up.

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Apparently Washington has released a statement saying the U.S. cannot support Unilateral Declaration of Independence.

And they say they don't do irony.

I think the idea of "Washington " as shorthand for a statement of US policy is history.  We now have statements from the civil service, random comments from that daft person who took over from Comical Ali, and tweets from some mad old geezer on the khasi.

Comedy gold would be Phil and Trump at the same table.

Shame Phil's swerved it. If there was ever a time for his brand of comedy offense, this was it.

Lizzy's likely praying he gets impeached before it really looks like she's ducking the Prez.

• Haha 1

They need a proper legal vote from the Catalan people, similar to Scotland's, to settle the matter one way or the other but Rajoy won't allow it.

Prior to all this kicking off the separatist movement was a clear minority run by nationalists and all polls indicated it would have easily been defeated in a proper referendum but the way Rajoy has handled it since has played right into the hands of the separatists. Who know's how it will play out now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He won't go back to Spain, why would he? He won't get a fair trial

As the warrant has now been issued, I guess it's incumbent on the Belgian authorities to arrest him and go through due process.

Edit: On the fair trial, I suspect you're not wrong, Dem - but it's now not his choice.

Edited by snowychap

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

As the warrant has now been issued, I guess it's incumbent on the Belgian authorities to arrest him and go through due process.

Yeah absolutely, but apparently for what I saw on the news the Belgians are concerned he won't get a fair trial therefore may not release him. No doubt in my mind they are going to make an example of him and give him a lengthy prison sentence

Â