Catalonia Independence

maqroll

Funny you should mention Putin...

Guy Verhofstadt Oct 01

the separatist parties went forward with a so-called referendum that was forbidden by the Constitutional Court, knowing all too well that only a minority would participate as 60 % of the Catalans are against separation.

The guns & rubber bullets are out

I'm struggling to see what Spain is trying to achieve here? If it's an illegal vote then why not just leave them to it and ignore the result?

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, peterms said:

Apparently there's a provision in the EU treaty which relates to this.  Presumably military force means the kind of force used, rather than meaning force used by the military.

I'm now reading that Article 7 doesn't actually say that...

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Funny you should mention Putin...

I mentioned him because he's been funding any separatist movement that will

a) take his money and

b.) lead to the disruption of the West.

He's attempting to fracture the opposition abroad into as many smaller competing factions as he can

Trump, Farage, Le Pen, The Kurds, Catalonia, I think I read he even paid for some BLM stuff but I might have heard that one incorrectly, he's even had meetings and flown people out to Russia from the Texas Separatist movement

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

IMG_2195.png

Police fighting with local firemen trying to protect the civilians from said police.

Really is shocking.

This is how civil wars start. Hopefully it won't come to that but it is a scary development.

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Police fighting with local firemen trying to protect the civilians from said police.

Really is shocking.

This is how civil wars start. Hopefully it won't come to that but it is a scary development.

There was a video I saw of riot police being aggressive to 'normal' police forcing their way past them.

Wonder if Barcelona will be kicked out of La Liga? I'm sure the Premier League would take them 

Just now, Genie said:

There was a video I saw of riot police being aggressive to 'normal' police forcing their way past them.

Wonder if Barcelona will be kicked out of La Liga? I'm sure the Premier League would take them 

I'm sure they would, but that would be a terrible development and solution IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm sure the Premier League would take them 

Not a chance, it'd need to be voted on by the 20 PL clubs, and that's as close to turkeys voting for Christmas as I can imagine.

The top 4 or 5 clubs don't want a competitor for the title, the next group don't want one less European spot, and those towards the bottom don't want an extra place in the PL lost.

• Like 1

Top 20 euro clubs are probably helping organize the Spanish government response... justification to form a euro super-league.

At least Corbyn came out and said stop the nonsense, though I suppose it's hardly surprising that the Tories are at least ambivalent towards jack booted thuggery.

This is starting to remind me more and more of Franco. Is the current PM in any way connected to Francisco? 

Spain has pretty much shot themselves in the foot by being so aggressive. This will only make the Basque separatist movement want independence even harder.

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

This is starting to remind me more and more of Franco. Is the current PM in any way connected to Francisco? 

Well, the party he joined in 1981, which was a precursor to the PP, was the 'continuity Francoism' party, though democratic in nature. 

Rajoy has been a shit for years. Certainly he was an early and vigorous Iraq War cheerleader. 

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Spain has pretty much shot themselves in the foot by being so aggressive. This will only make the Basque separatist movement want independence even harder.

Whilst you are probably correct due to he closeness of the two campaigns, you do realise that Catalonia and the Basque region of Spain and France are two separate places?

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whilst you are probably correct due to he closeness of the two campaigns, you do realise that Catalonia and the Basque region of Spain and France are two separate places?

Of course. I was just saying that the separatist movements in both Basque and Catalonia will only get stronger on the back of the brutal oppression of the election. I don't think anyone in San Sebastian feels less vindicated for wanting independence after seeing the circus that the state police ensured in Catalonia over the last few days. They're not the same but will surely feel kindred in spirit after this latest debacle. 

19 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Of course. I was just saying that the separatist movements in both Basque and Catalonia will only get stronger on the back of the brutal oppression of the election. I don't think anyone in San Sebastian feels less vindicated for wanting independence after seeing the circus that the state police ensured in Catalonia over the last few days. They're not the same but will surely feel kindred in spirit after this latest debacle. 

That isn’t what you said at all. Just admit you made a mistake and move on.

Â