October Optimism Gauge

maqroll

Same as Richard. Obviously I'd prefer better results but I still think they will come in time. And no, not after it becomes too little too late. I've said as much in my blog linked in my sig. We're currently a car stuttering to start. But we will eventually.

Not confident at all i have to say although like many i do think we will get better eventually. My biggest concern is we are playing with fire for the 3rd season in a row. We've had 3 seasons of squad decimation the like of which i've never witnessed before. I shudder to think of the list of players we have either released, sold or had poached from us over the last 36 months. We have replaced quality, skill & solid experience with Youth, potential & inexperience. That is one risky policy in the World's toughest league especially when considering we barely survived the last two campaigns & we have now decimated the squad still further!

Having said all that i do like Lambert & think he has signed some real gems......for the future!

My biggest worry is where we will be by the time that happens. We are playing kind of ok in patches but the inexperience is really costing us at the moment, either with a sitter being missed or a goal conceded as players struggle to find their feet having been quite literally thrown in the deep end. Many of these guys will turn out to be top players for sure but how long is it going to take as we do not have much time for things to start turning.

We need a couple of big wins now to make up for the bad start.

Here's to hoping :s

This is possibly one of the biggest seasons in the history of Aston Villa FC.

Many of these guys will turn out to be top players for sure but how long is it going to take as we do not have much time for things to start turning.

I still don't get this assessment of our players which keeps getting banded about. Who out of our squad exactly is likely to become a 'top player'? It's a nice thought, that because they are young and not performing well enough at the moment that one day they will, but I'm not quite sure what it's based on.

Think we will pull out some surprising results in November.

And that will get everyone's optimism back up, I mean look at Norwich their fans must have thought they were as good as down, but by beating arsenal i'm sure their much more upbeat about their chances of survival.. Takes 1 good result to turn a season around. And I believe that result is coming.

I remain very optimistic about the future.

Not about this season. We won't do anything special at all, but we won't be relegated.

But beyond that, I think we'll become a very good PL side again, rather than an also ran, as we are now.

I'm not at all optimistic. We are a feeble side at the moment, riddled with flaws and our only hope at the moment appears to be a quantum leap in the standards the team is capable of on matchday. Relegation is a very real, and at this moment in time, increasingly likely scenario week on week.

Longer term, I'm not so sure. A lot could depend on the outcome this season - relegation and we're in deep, deep shit. If we manage to stay up (at the moment, we appear to be banking on luck to achieve this) I don't think we've got many glory days to come regardless.

So yeah... not optimistic at all, really.

After what I wintnessed today against norwich(at home) there is a real possibilty that unless PL starts to get the best out of bent,gabby and zog, we will be right in the shit come december. It's all very well saying we'll get better but find yourself in relegation around xmas and your in trouble- end of!

If we lose the next four games, which looks incredibly likely, we are going to be in some serious shit come January. We aren't better than the lower level premiership teams, its now proven, and the big boys are about to make things get even worse,

If we stop up again this season it will only be because, the same as last season, there are at least 3 sides slightly worse than us and not because we are any good.

Not a very good long term strategy as Coventry City will testify to. If you keep playing chicken on the motorway eventually you will get run over.

I'm staggered that there are people already asking for PL's head!!

He is only 9 games into sorting out one of the worst situation I can remember at VP - Have we become so impatient that we are giving managers only nine games now!! At that rate we will be going through four managers a season.

For me, I'm already seeing signs of improvement.

- The manager has got his staff in place and has already moved out the over-paid and over-rated brigade.

- Some good young players have been purchased and will only get better (I think Bennett, Lowton, Westwood and Benteke for example, will all grow to become top class players).

- Younger players are getting a chance and will only get better (Herd, Delph, Baker, Clark, Gardner etc).

- More players promising players will be purchased in January.

- We've already seen an improvement in style and particularly in attitude

- The dressing room seems to be behind him

- We have got a long road ahead but PL's track record suggests that he is the right man for the job

I think that we will have a few hairy moments along the way but will improve as the season goes on. I expect us to finish around 12th and be better next season

Keep the Faith

I'm not at all optimistic. We are a feeble side at the moment, riddled with flaws and our only hope at the moment appears to be a quantum leap in the standards the team is capable of on matchday. Relegation is a very real, and at this moment in time, increasingly likely scenario week on week.

Longer term, I'm not so sure. A lot could depend on the outcome this season - relegation and we're in deep, deep shit. If we manage to stay up (at the moment, we appear to be banking on luck to achieve this) I don't think we've got many glory days to come regardless.

So yeah... not optimistic at all, really.

I'm starting to feel this way too.

I was optimistic at the start of the season of a mid table finish, but with every passing result I am becoming more and more pessimistic about our chances. I think we are in for another relegation fight this year, and I'm becoming less and less convinced that we'll be safe at the end of the season. I fear we could have put too much onus on young and untried hungry players. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving them a go, but you need to find the right balance between this and experienced pro's who can lead them, we don't seem to have the know how of winning games. We could dearly do with Petrov or someone of similar ilk amongst the team to marshall the players on the pitch. I don't see many PL experienced leaders in our team if I'm honest, and that worries me.

Â