October Optimism Gauge

maqroll

I'm staggered that there are people already asking for PL's head!!

He is only 9 games into sorting out one of the worst situation I can remember at VP - Have we become so impatient that we are giving managers only nine games now!! At that rate we will be going through four managers a season.

For me, I'm already seeing signs of improvement.

- The manager has got his staff in place and has already moved out the over-paid and over-rated brigade.

- Some good young players have been purchased and will only get better (I think Bennett, Lowton, Westwood and Benteke for example, will all grow to become top class players).

- Younger players are getting a chance and will only get better (Herd, Delph, Baker, Clark, Gardner etc).

- More players promising players will be purchased in January.

- We've already seen an improvement in style and particularly in attitude

- The dressing room seems to be behind him

- We have got a long road ahead but PL's track record suggests that he is the right man for the job

I think that we will have a few hairy moments along the way but will improve as the season goes on. I expect us to finish around 12th and be better next season

Keep the Faith

Absolutely spot on!

Also just to add to your valid points that PL is giving everyone a chance at the club who he see's fit, from here he will filter out the deadwood and undesirables and continue to build on a good foundation and strengthen the team and our stature slowly.

This takes time, this takes patience and if all the panic merchant doubters want us to be out the shit we are in then it's time to swallow it and accept it because it's reality and what needs to happen.

Even if we get beat in the next 4 games then so be it, it has come to be expected judging by many opinionated views on here so far but hell as long as its not a humiliating score, maybe an unlucky to have lost the game scenario etc but as long as the players try and fight out a result then it shows we are still trying of which cannot be faulted.

I am expecting it to get worse before it gets better and right now we are in the eye of the storm but it will soon pass.

• Like 2

Optimistic in the long term, less so in the short term. The club has pissed away so much money in the last few years that PL has been left with a poor squad, no money and a fan base who, while behind him, are still smarting from the disappointment of our recent decline.

Imagine a poker game where Aston Villa have leaked chips left, right and centre, and in the final few hands call in PL to claw our way back into the game with just a handful of chips - that is the current state of our club.

- We are about where I expected us to be at this stage

- In patches we have played better football than I expected us to be capable of so early on

- I expect the results will start to pick up around December

- I still expect us to finish Mid to Lower Mid table, comfortably if not massively away from the fight at the bottom

Sorry if this wasn't the shrieking hysteria you were hoping for.

Optimism falling.... what is most worrying for me is how we have looked worse and worse. We started the season dominating possession and playing a short passing game around a midfield diamond which operated as a unit. Now we look shapeless and keep half heartedly trying to play wide with wingers, thus reverting back to our traditional hoof & hope approach. made slightly more fragile by playing two up front.

I want the start of the season Villa back please.

I'm staggered that there are people already asking for PL's head!!

He is only 9 games into sorting out one of the worst situation I can remember at VP - Have we become so impatient that we are giving managers only nine games now!! At that rate we will be going through four managers a season.

For me, I'm already seeing signs of improvement.

- The manager has got his staff in place and has already moved out the over-paid and over-rated brigade.

- Some good young players have been purchased and will only get better (I think Bennett, Lowton, Westwood and Benteke for example, will all grow to become top class players).

- Younger players are getting a chance and will only get better (Herd, Delph, Baker, Clark, Gardner etc).

- More players promising players will be purchased in January.

- We have got a long road ahead but PL's track record suggests that he is the right man for the job

I think that we will have a few hairy moments along the way but will improve as the season goes on. I expect us to finish around 12th and be better next season

Keep the Faith

I think your last sentence is the key one. It requires faith - and a determination to ignore the facts of what is actually happening - to believe most of what you say above. Particularly, "more promising players will be purchased in January". How do you know that? It depends what money is available, which players are on the market and whether Lambert knows how to buy wisely to cope with a relegation struggle.

I think your last sentence is the key one. It requires faith - and a determination to ignore the facts of what is actually happening - to believe most of what you say above. Particularly, "more promising players will be purchased in January". How do you know that? It depends what money is available, which players are on the market and whether Lambert knows how to buy wisely to cope with a relegation struggle.

Obviously this is all a matter of opinion - I believe that PL is the right man for the job and will turn things around and from your comments I would guess that you do not?

After the debacle of last season, my expectation was that it would take some time to turn things around. My opinion is that PL is going about things in the right way and that we will begin to see a gradual improvement of performances and results.

I don't believe that we are awash with money but it is also my opinion that we will sign a number of additional players (3 or 4?) during the January window. Given PL's track record here and elsewhere, I expect these to be young, promising players rather than established stars (although I think a little more expereince would not go amiss)

I'm not blind to the facts as you imply - given the situation PL inhierited and the limited resources available I wasn't expecting us to be anywhere near mid-table at this stage.

Which of my opinions do you think ignores the facts?

- Some good young players have been purchased and will only get better

- Younger players are getting a chance and will only get better

- More promising players will be purchased in January.

What is your proposal? Sack PL after 9 games and appoint who?

Â