Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

People keep saying their team is crap, but is it actually? Jansson, Ayling, Phillips, Hernandez, Roofe, even dirty cheating Bamford are all good players at this level. It's not like they're Rotherham or something. 

It's not crap, but I would not have them near the top of the league either under most managers.

A 11 with our and their players would for me contain mostly Villa players. Might be biased there but I think most would agree. And our squad dept is better imo

Not so sure about the squad we had at the start of the season mind.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Their not crap at all , they just have a ruthless  streak running through the team that oversteps the mark and leads to bookings and red cards. Bamford is a disgrace , he was simulating again last night and the brutal and dangerous tackles they put in were again on show, theres no place in the game for career ending challenges.

Occasionally they just happen but Leeds must have coaching sessions on dangerous tsckle techniques.

They need to lose the chip on the shoulder attitude and play to their strengths , football , not thuggery and cheating . Only then will they realise their full potential which is undeniable great .UTV 

What next for Leeds and Marcelo Bielsa after play-off heartbreak?

"If the club offers me the possibility to carry on, I will listen to this proposal."

Leeds United's season may have ended in failure but it was certainly a season to remember. One man made that possible.

Marcelo Bielsa was their fifth different manager in five seasons to start a campaign. There was hope that the inspirational Argentine could bring the good times back to Elland Road, and, yes, the happy ending Bielsa craved didn't materialise but he's injected life into a club that have been underachieving for too long.

No matter how gut-wrenching Wednesday night's play-off implosion against Derby would have felt for the home faithful, they know they've witnessed something special this season with the way Bielsa has implemented his football philosophy on a young squad.

With such vibrant football on show, Leeds supporters are obviously desperate for Bielsa to see out his two-year deal he signed last summer. Those fans will need time to grieve over a season that promised so much but fell flat, however, when the post-mortem begins, the conversations will start and end with the importance of keeping Bielsa at the helm.

"Now is not the time to talk," Bielsa said when asked about his future by Sky Sports.

Much could depend on the level of investment from the top. Owner Andrea Radrizzani will need to assess the budget in the summer having spent big to lure Bielsa to Elland Road. His reported £3m-a-season salary may make it difficult for the hierarchy to loosen the purse strings in order to strengthen a squad that was down to the bare bones in the final few weeks of the season.

Plus, it may prove tough to keep the Premier League vultures circling the likes of Kalvin Phillips and Kemar Roofe. Bielsa will want guarantees that he has the required tools to continue his fine work.

When pressed in his press conference, Bielsa could not hide his disappointment, but said he would listen to the club's proposals for next season.

"It's not, as you can imagine, convenient to talk about this point right now," the Argentine said.

"Anyway, the process and you know about this process, that's why I'm talking about it, if the club offers me the possibility to carry on I will listen to this proposal.

Hasselbaink doubts Bielsa stay

Sky Sports pundit Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink said: "I don't think he'll be here next season. It was always going to be one year and see whether they can go up. I'd love to see him stay because he does something different. I went to watch his training sessions and for me it was an eye opener. He does make players better - you can see that. He's not afraid to play youngsters.

"Leeds and Bielsa have put their identity on the Elland Road pitch - they need to find someone who has the same philosophy and can work with young players to get them over the line. This club needs to be in the Premier League.
Regardless if Bielsa stays or not, there has to be investment to make the squad more competitive. You have to keep the philosophy of youth but they need help from the bench to come in and make a difference."

Rosenior: Bielsa a genius

Sky Sports pundit Liam Rosenior said: "Wherever he's gone there's been an upturn in performance but he just seems to struggle to get over that final hurdle. As a coach, the man is a genius. All of Leeds' key young players will go onto have fine careers. When those players look back on their careers, they'll say the turning point was playing under Bielsa. I think we should be celebrating him - it's been a pleasure to watch them play.

Whoever comes in has huge boots to fill. The squad is tiny. What he's done with this squad is brilliant. Sometimes things are out of your control as a manager, like a goalkeeper making a huge error like Kiko Casilla did or Jake Cooper pulling someone down in the box."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11715/11721148/what-next-for-leeds-and-marcelo-bielsa-after-play-off-heartbreak

Results also dropped off after they stopped spying on teams.

As much as people said spying wouldn't have much of an effect, it's a bit of a coincidence

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

It was as expected from Bielsa, another fail on his "mythical" CV

There are people on this forum who weren’t even born the last time Bielsa won anything of worth. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

Yes I'm sure Heckingbottom would have barnstormed the league with this team :D 

Well of course he wouldn’t have, but the season also doesn’t end in January. 

• Confused 1

:D:clap::crylaugh:

A DEVASTATED Pontus Jansson sat by the pitch alone after Leeds' heartbreaking play-off defeat.

The centre-back was an unused substitute in the thrilling clash at Elland Road tonight which saw Derby overturn a first-leg deficit to book their Wembley spot.

Pontus Jansson's heartbreak was plain to see after full-time as he sat on the side of the Elland Road pitch

And while Derby's players, coaches and fans continued to celebrate, Jansson remained pitchside, crestfallen and on the verge of tears.

But it is safe to say Twitter was far from sympathetic to the Leeds defender, who many believe has now played his last game for the club.

One said: "Show me Pontus Jansson crying please."

Another added: "Pontus Jansson crying his eyes out is something we can all get behind. One of the biggest t***s in football."

Villa fan @NooneAVFC tweeted: "Seeing Pontus Jansson in tears hahahahahahahah inject it now."

Ben Hoyland chipped in: "Pontus Jansson definitely not sitting there for the cameras and attention is he."

And one user got creative with his own chant.

He wrote: "His name is Pontus Jansson he’s lost his magic hat. Derby won 4-2 now he looks a t***."

TO ELL AND BACK

After 46 league matches, throwing away automatic promotion and then blowing their play-off dreams, Leeds had given everything.

They spent 185 days top of the Championship this season - more than any other side - but ultimately fell just short.

Jansson may not have played his part in the second leg but certainly went through the emotions on a bonkers night of football.

Already 1-0 up from the first leg, Leeds had one and a half feet in the Championship play-off final when Stuart Dallas put them ahead on the night as he reacted quickest to Kalvin Phillips' free-kick bouncing back off the post.

It meant Derby had to score two to force extra time, double the amount of goals they had managed in the three previous meetings against Marcelo Bielsa's side this season.

But supersub Jack Marriott proved the hero.

DERBY DELIGHT

Just 33 seconds after coming on the bench, he capitalised on a mix-up in the Leeds defence to slot into the empty net with his first touch.

And moments after the break, Mason Mount brought the tie level as he managed to lift over Kiko Casilla.

Then a third goal in 13 minutes completed the turnaround when Harry Wilson coolly slotted home his penalty into the bottom corner.

But even then, Dallas pulled one back to make it 3-3 on aggregate before Jansson's fellow centre-back Gaetano Berardi was sent off for a second yellow for a shocking late tackle.

And Derby made their advantage count when Marriott chipped over Casilla with five minutes to go and the Rams held on, even after Scott Malone saw red in injury time.

So it is Frank Lampard's Derby who will take on Aston Villa on May 27 for a place in the Premier League.

Twitter was far from sympathetic towards the defender after spotting him on the verge of tears
TWITTER5
Twitter was far from sympathetic towards the defender after spotting him on the verge of tears

And for Jansson, Bielsa and everyone else at Leeds, this season is done and the dream of competing in the top flight is over for another year.

So come August, they will be preparing for another slog in the Championship against Luton rather than Liverpool, Millwall rather than Manchester City.

And Jansson's agony was clear to see as he sat pitchside, reflecting on a brutal night to top off a brutal season.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9084892/pontus-jansson-sits-pitch-leeds/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballtwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1557987592

• Like 2

Have any of the Leeds fans contingent popped up on here in past 24 hours.

I remember them being so courteous to our plight in the summer and how they’d be thinking of us whilst in the PL next season.

Be nice to return the gesture.

• Like 3

A Chelsea fan on talksport this morning said Bielsa would be perfect for them if they cannot buy players and have to blood their talented youth players.

Good call if you ask me I think that would be the perfect job for him about 100 players to mould a young attacking team.  

They hate Sarri so could be a nice little bet.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

A Chelsea fan on talksport this morning said Bielsa would be perfect for them if they cannot buy players and have to blood their talented youth players.

Good call if you ask me I think that would be the perfect job for him about 100 players to mould a young attacking team.  

Not sure why. Third in league and europa final what more do they want the clowns? 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not sure why. Third in league and europa final what more do they want the clowns? 

Well they were the Man City of the mid 2000's. They're used to all the bought success so that's not good enough for them. Sadly the game has changed and one owner worth about £7 billion is a paraffin compared to Man City's owners. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes third was the best they could expect and if they win the Europa league that's a good season

3 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Sacking a manager who wins no trophies for a manager who rarely gets close

They followed Bielsa's form to a tee. Stormed the race for 2 thirds of it, stumbled, then the wheels fell off.

From where they were, to fail to get promoted is an enormous clanger.

• Like 1

Â