Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

They are the Ronnie Pickering of English football. Their Championship squad isn't good enough for 38 games in the Premier League.

This opinion fascinates me.

At what point does a championship squad stop being a championship squad? Are Sheffield now a premiership squad? 

18/19 was a huge turn around year taking a mid table squad to top of the league only to burn out through injuries and players wanting to leave. The next year with a worse squad we win the league by 10 points. Are these still mid table championship players? If so all the credit in the world should go to Bielsa and yet people are still on here saying neither are good enough. Wild stuff.

I think everybodys optimism for this season comes from the unknown, what's the ceiling for this group of players? With the right transfers where could Bielsa take things? 

We're going to take some heavy losses i'm sure, and I'll be deliriously happy with even 14th place but **** me id rather be in our situation than say, Newcastles. Even if they're a safer bet to stay up at least we have something to be excited about.

I don't know who this bloke is and haven't got a clue whether he will do well or not, but one thing I do know is that Patrick Bamford is absolute dogshit so they're immediately a million times better off.

Remembering our attacking trio for a minute, we're in no position to throw shade. Prove me wrong Villa.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I heard from a Leeds reporter/person on the Tifo podcast that Leeds will have around £70/75m to spend.

If they’re spending £30m on a striker, and were willing to spend £30m on Ben White then they’re seemingly putting a lot of faith into the majority of their Championship side.

I wonder if that’s wise. They must really be hoping that the Bielsa factor does the business for them. If not, they could easily do a Norwich/Fulham.

Fulham signed a whole new team and alienated the championship squad that got them promoted, the new players didn’t gel in time and they went under. Norwich signed no one and basically used the season to gain a year of experience for their young squad and banked a bunch of money. 

If anything it is more like Sheffield United. Keep your squad and system going that won you promotion but add a couple of signings in key positions. 

We’ll have to wait and see how they go. 

8 hours ago, Cjay said:

Goal scoring wise may not be to impressive  (although with minutes played taken into account his La Liga record as a striker is 1 in 3).

But MB demands far more from a striker than just goals. In that respect according to those who know more than i say Rodrigo has the things MB will want.

It seems a lot for a 29 year old but he is currently the Spanish national teams main striker at the end of the day.

His record last season isnt bad imo.

Directly involved in 17 goals in just under 28 games worth of minutes. Goal or an assist every 146 minutes,  2 goals and 2 assists  in the Champions League (Ajax, Chelsea and Lille) only played 529 minutes.

I'd rather this then spend £20mil on Ollie Watkins which is apparently something we may have done.

Interesting to see you posting on here again, haven't seen you on here since you flopped in the play offs whilst we gained promotion 🤔

Hope he flops miserably, as do your club.

And yes, I'm pretty childish 😏

5 hours ago, Rino8 said:

This opinion fascinates me.

At what point does a championship squad stop being a championship squad? Are Sheffield now a premiership squad? 

18/19 was a huge turn around year taking a mid table squad to top of the league only to burn out through injuries and players wanting to leave. The next year with a worse squad we win the league by 10 points. Are these still mid table championship players? If so all the credit in the world should go to Bielsa and yet people are still on here saying neither are good enough. Wild stuff.

I think everybodys optimism for this season comes from the unknown, what's the ceiling for this group of players? With the right transfers where could Bielsa take things? 

We're going to take some heavy losses i'm sure, and I'll be deliriously happy with even 14th place but **** me id rather be in our situation than say, Newcastles. Even if they're a safer bet to stay up at least we have something to be excited about.

Norwich got more points than you when they won the league and were relegated as easily the worst team in the league. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Interesting to see you posting on here again, haven't seen you on here since you flopped in the play offs whilst we gained promotion 🤔

Hope he flops miserably, as do your club.

And yes, I'm pretty childish 😏

1 post in 15 months. Probably just got over that we didn't listen to the advice to protest the owners 🙄

• Like 1

If Rodrigo was signing for Wolves I bet people on here would be going on about what an amazing signing it is and we couldn't possibly hope to make such a signing because we don't have Mendes.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

If Rodrigo was signing for Wolves I bet people on here would be going on about what an amazing signing it is and we couldn't possibly hope to make such a signing because we don't have Mendes.

I really wouldn't. Someone who can't score goals is not who we need at the moment. 

If he works for Leeds then good for him but I'd be very disappointed if we signed him. Not what we need.

Rodrigo could be a good signing but I think they need to strengthen their squad quite a bit more if they're to avoid being involved in a relegation battle.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Fulham signed a whole new team and alienated the championship squad that got them promoted, the new players didn’t gel in time and they went under. Norwich signed no one and basically used the season to gain a year of experience for their young squad and banked a bunch of money. 

If anything it is more like Sheffield United. Keep your squad and system going that won you promotion but add a couple of signings in key positions. 

We’ll have to wait and see how they go. 

I meant in terms of league position. Ie: They could feasibly finish rock bottom.

I think it's a good signing and that Leeds will finish mid table next season.

I don't particularly understand the correlation between players doing well in the Championship being destined to struggle in the Premier League.  When we went up through the playoffs, Leeds were the team we feared playing.  They were comfortably the best team in the league that season IMO.  The feat of Sheffield United was incredibly impressive and Wilder did an amazing job last season too - but I'd have rather played Sheffield United than Leeds.  They've built on that failure and then cruised the league this time round.  I think they'll be fine next season.

• Like 3

I think Leeds will do well , they have been the best championship team for a few seasons and just blew their lines when it mattered. Can't see that happening consistently over a full season. Watched them in a cup game against Arsenal last season and they did well and were rather unlucky not to get something from the game 

Philip's is a great player ( not as good as Grealish 😁) and they seem to have good team spirit . Banford needs to go though , just not good enough for the goals they will need. 

I wish them well apart from in two games. 

2 hours ago, useless said:

but wolves would be signing him to be their back up wide man

hard to tell what leeds plan on doing with him yet but if he's their main goal source then the two scenarios aren't comparable

and if he's not their main goal source then who is? wolves are in a position where they can spend £30m on one good player, Leeds aren't 

the interesting thing for me is that leeds were supposedly also in for benrahma, if Rodrigo at £30m+ is seen as a better deal than him that might give an indication as to why no one has bought him yet

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tinker said:

I think Leeds will do well , they have been the best championship team for a few seasons and just blew their lines when it mattered. Can't see that happening consistently over a full season. Watched them in a cup game against Arsenal last season and they did well and were rather unlucky not to get something from the game 

Philip's is a great player ( not as good as Grealish 😁) and they seem to have good team spirit . Banford needs to go though , just not good enough for the goals they will need. 

I wish them well apart from in two games. 

norwich got more points when they won the league than Leeds did last year. 

Norwich dominated that season, playing great football and scoring for fun. They finished rock bottom in the premier league. 

I'll wait and see with leeds, but I think they're more likely to do a Norwich than a sheff United. 

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

but wolves would be signing him to be their back up wide man

hard to tell what leeds plan on doing with him yet but if he's their main goal source then the two scenarios aren't comparable

and if he's not their main goal source then who is? wolves are in a position where they can spend £30m on one good player, Leeds aren't 

the interesting thing for me is that leeds were supposedly also in for benrahma, if Rodrigo at £30m+ is seen as a better deal than him that might give an indication as to why no one has bought him yet

I'm pretty sure we had decided against Benrahma before this deal. Not sure we were sold on how he'd fit into the way we play but no doubting his quality on the ball.

The problem Leeds have is their Plan B. Norwich and the likes of Pukki were exposed quickly and dealt with by more quality and experienced defences. 

They may have a quick start but the season is long and the gap between the bottom half and the top grows each year. 

• Like 1

Rodrigo scored just 4 la Liga goals last season. And 8 the year before. 29 so not a long term signing either. Mind you Bielsa isn't really that bothered about poaching strikers otherwise Eddie Nketieh would've been starting ahead of Bamford.

Still he can press and play centrally or out wide so fits into what they want.

Leeds got right idea targeting signings from decent euro clubs in major financial problems as Valencia are. That's why I didn't understand last year having Suso who actually worked at Valencia for years and yet we hardly bothered with the Spanish market.

Â