Media and punditry

BOF

Jenas really good again on Match of the Day.

He states the obvious to me a bit but I suppose given the punditry on offer on most channels bar Neville, that's incredibly insightful!

Anyone else do a thing of when they're talking about stuff on TV just shouting at the screen the stuff you'd say which would be more enlightining.....for example when they were talking about the reasons why Spurs lost to Leicester, I was waiting for one of them to point out the obvious that Eriksen and Kane both started on the bench. Now given both of them have won Spurs a vast amount of games this season, it seemed a fairly obvious point to make but none of them made it.

Gissa a job guv. 

Preaching to the choir here, but does Savage always have to bleat on about Villa. Prick.

What's he said now?

Just like the fans of that shitty little tin-pot club he used to play for, he's obsessed with us.

said our strikers were an embarrassment and he is right sadly

Im usually pretty scathing of media outlets and the generic football coverage we get.

But fair play to Sky Sports today, their buildup to our game vs Arsenal has actually been pretty good. Talking about our plight since Lerner came in, their comments on the singings, Delph etc. 

I don't watch it very often but I found it quite refreshing. I was fully anticipating them to gush about Arsenal for 59 minutes then throw a one liner about us.

That will be Football Weekly tomorrow.  Liverpool have a lot of ex players doing the punditry thing but I've noticed a disproportionate number of journalists seem to be Gooners. 

Im usually pretty scathing of media outlets and the generic football coverage we get.

But fair play to Sky Sports today, their buildup to our game vs Arsenal has actually been pretty good. Talking about our plight since Lerner came in, their comments on the singings, Delph etc. 

I don't watch it very often but I found it quite refreshing. I was fully anticipating them to gush about Arsenal for 59 minutes then throw a one liner about us.

To be fair they did spend 15 minutes creaming over Southampton before mentioning our game! unlucky Le Tissier!

I thought Keown was great on MotD2 last night.  He absolutely savaged Lambert and backed it all up with footage which was a great bit of work considering the time constraints BBC guys have to work within.  He nearly ruined it by saying that Gabby should be a starter for us (presumably he's not watched that much Villa this season) but I enjoyed his bit about the West Brom free kick from Saturday so I'll let him off. 

To be fair he did back that up by showing gabby destroying them last season, I always think arsenal are one of the teams that struggle vs gabby, they hold a high line

Liverpool and Arsenal should be only teams Gabby should start against and maybe Sunderland

Arsenal have slightly changed their tactics though so I'm not sure Gabby could have done what he did to them last season. But Keown was spot on. I hope Lambert takes note. We won't win games by playing this slow passing game with lack of movement, sideways and backwards passing. An example of how to play against a better team away from home was Villareal at Barcelona last night. Ok they lost 3-2 but it was great to watch. 

Joey Barton is brilliant. He's absolutely slaughtered Man Utd and Phil Neville on deadline day on the Beeb and all with a smile on his face and a little bit of charm. Marvellous.

A favourite, Neville was being asked about the way that medical's work "So Phil, do they start with your weakest areas?"

Barton interjects with "Like your passing?"

• Like 2

Barton is hated generally and I get why. I personally cannot help but like him.

I do not think he was punished correctly for the cigar incident. However, that is not entirely his fault. He committed that crime a long, long time ago now. I think he will make a highly entertaining pundit.

Edit - I am also impressed that the BBC have taken a punt on him. Keown has improved dramatically as well. They could have a decent core there. The rough and the smooth as it were, good cop bad cop.

Punditry is evolving across the board. Can't we do away with Savage though?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Nice to see Tommy Hitz again on MOTD. Seems such a nice fella. I liked Danny Baker's comments on Villa in that we are like a old grand department store- but when you go inside you wouldn't want to buy anything. Said we are a big club and getting relegated would be big news which is correct. 

Â