Media and punditry

BOF

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Anyone else think Chris Sutton didn't get much attention from Mommy and Daddy?

Controversial just for the sake of it.

he is an absolute clearing in the woods. said it before he just says things for attention

maybe its entertaining but he just comes across as a desperate man looking for a bite

I remember reading years back (probably when he was at Blackburn or Chelsea) that Sutton admitted he didn't like watching football and didn't really care about the game.

Must be short of cash or a business venture has gone to pot as he seems to be on every media stream atm giving a view on a game or team.

He's always been quite an abrupt character anyway...remember him telling Glenn Hoddle to stick it when he wanted to call him up for an England B game.

On 14/02/2017 at 11:22, VillaChris said:

Working at home today so just listening to Ray Houghton on Talksport....he was going on about how much a better job Mourinho was doing this season compared to Wenger and claimed Man. United's recent form was much better.....Arsenal beat Hull 2-0 at the weekend.....Man. United drew with them 0-0 two weeks ago. Never studied the game they said....

Houghton is appalling to listen to.

He's so bitter than he was a good player and didn't make the millions some of the average lot do today.

You can be bitter Ray, but you don't have to slate every single thing you see when co-comm.

I actually think she's o.k although I do understand where people are coming from when a female commentator doesn't quite sound right on the TV.

I do think she's better than Jacqui Oatley though. Very competent presenter but she was terrible when she had some commentaries on TV.

I remember the fuss in the press aswell, at least there doesn't seem to be that this time.

Probably the only way to change that is to have a few more doing it so we just don't get a token voice.

People can always turn the sound down.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

She sounds like she's recoding her commentary watching a replay of the game on the TV. She just doesn't sound like she's actually present at the game as it happens. 

It's funny as I remember the exact same comments when Jacqui Oatley did comms.

I actually think that's actually one of the declines of live commentaries on the TV and radio...the best would always give the impression they weren't watching it with a tv monitor beside them.

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I actually think she's o.k although I do understand where people are coming from when a female commentator doesn't quite sound right on the TV.

I do think she's better than Jacqui Oatley though. Very competent presenter but she was terrible when she had some commentaries on TV.

I remember the fuss in the press aswell, at least there doesn't seem to be that this time.

Probably the only way to change that is to have a few more doing it so we just don't get a token voice.

People can always turn the sound down.

For me it's nothing to do with the fact it's a female voice. It's what she actually says, how insincere it sounds and the repeated use of stock phrases/expressions.

It sounds false.

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

For me it's nothing to do with the fact it's a female voice. It's what she actually says, how insincere it sounds and the repeated use of stock phrases/expressions.

It sounds false.

How many Male commentators have you brought up on this thread who use the same stock phrases/expressions?

At least she got the goalscorers correctly identified....I always remember Ian Darke on Sky confusing Shevchenko for Lampard when Chelsea scored a goal.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

She sounds like she's recoding her commentary watching a replay of the game on the TV. She just doesn't sound like she's actually present at the game as it happens. 

Funnily enough I've had that problem with MotD for a while. You'd be watching the highlights of a game where something controversial happened later, and the commentary would mage very pointed comments earlier in the highlights to tease or lead the narrative. It's like they recorded the commentary afterwards and swung it subtly towards telling the 'story' of the game rather than reporting what happened as it happened. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

How many Male commentators have you brought up on this thread who use the same stock phrases/expressions?

At least she got the goalscorers correctly identified....I always remember Ian Darke on Sky confusing Shevchenko for Lampard when Chelsea scored a goal.

I've no idea but you clearly have an inside track on my thoughts so feel free to tell me. :)

You can think my criticism is because she is female if you wish.

I think the standard of commentating has dropped over the years (i'm talking last 20-25 years). 

Heard Alan Green on the radio recently... what's happened to his voice? I can barely understand him now 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I've no idea but you clearly have an inside track on my thoughts so feel free to tell me. :)

You can think my criticism is because she is female if you wish.

Garth Crooks, Michael Owen, Darkey, Scholes (voice), Clive Tyldsley....a few to start you off there Trenty. ;)

Â