Media and punditry

BOF

Phil Neville is my new favourite hopeless ex pro pundit....miles away from his brother in terms of insight.

Have a watch of his MOTD2 analysis of City losing at Everton last week...basically absolved Stones of any blame and criticised the other players for not anticipating his errors. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I blame Murdoch's populist model and the premier league for the dip in quality to be honest, the rest just follow suit. The old(er) school of presenters, pundits and commentators had charisma and character and were not afraid to call it as they see it, the wave we have now are predominately children of the premier league era, brainwashed by blandness and are subconscious salesmen for an increasingly poor quality product that is the premier league. The ones who are from a past era, but have comfy seats on Sky are not willing to upset the gravy train they are riding on. I remember seeing Souness on RTE once, he was far more 'unplugged' and scathing than I've ever seen him on sky.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

Both Sky and BT are full of 'yes' men now. I think it is because they are afraid to hire someone with an opinion since the Keys/Gray episode. The closest we have to someone with an opnion is G Neville, and that is the reason he is head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment. They will never take a risk on a Collymore for example.

I find it amusing the furore over jake humphries 'talking of slips' comment to stevie geeeee 

even the telegraph have commented on it!?!? 

Ffs, it was an amusing comment and not intended to humiliate him. I thought 'ballers luvd d bantz'

it's only Steven gerrard, not royalty, the baby Jesus or anyone remotely important. 

Why do the media pander to these supposed star players? No wonder they're a bunch of arrogant shits. 

Edited by theboyangel

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's an old boys club.

There are so many journalists and amateurs on podcasts that would provide so much more insight into football games than Wes Brown and Alan Shearer would.

On the back of your mention of it on here, I gave the football ramble a listen and will do so again. Far more enjoyable than other punditry I've seen/heard recently.

Cheers! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I blame Murdoch's populist model and the premier league for the dip in quality to be honest, the rest just follow suit. The old(er) school of presenters, pundits and commentators had charisma and character and were not afraid to call it as they see it, the wave we have now are predominately children of the premier league era, brainwashed by blandness and are subconscious salesmen for an increasingly poor quality product that is the premier league. The ones who are from a past era, but have comfy seats on Sky are not willing to upset the gravy train they are riding on. I remember seeing Souness on RTE once, he was far more 'unplugged' and scathing than I've ever seen him on sky.

Souness doesn't go on RTE anymore, Dietmer Hamann replaced him and he is quite good too. The analysis on RTE can be a bit ridiculous and repetitive at times with Dunphy trying to outdo himself but there was a period a few years ago where it was usually more entertaining than the match itself.

A good example of Souness

If that was the BBC Lineker wouldn't let a discussion take place.

Also on RTE they used to take the piss out of the BBC quite a bit too. Apres match being part of the coverage.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he might be boring but I do think Shearer is best pundit on British TV at the moment. He might not be great for soundbites but he does say it how he sees it

He's improved a lot recently (tedious argument about whether Sanchez is 'world class' or not aside). 

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

On the back of your mention of it on here, I gave the football ramble a listen and will do so again. Far more enjoyable than other punditry I've seen/heard recently.

Cheers! 

Best one out there imo.

You won't get the insight or tactical analysis you would with something like Football Weekly or Football Daily, but it's just the right balance of serious and nonsense chat.

• Like 1

I remember dirty Leeds very well.

The point Revie wont admit to is that, he muscled out one last season from a lot of those old guys, and some of their replacement did a better job.

He knew it was over for that Leeds team, left, then preceeded to F*** up his England chance

watching MOTD

man city vs palace, the female commentator was **** awful, to be fair to her ive heard a couple do it now, how is jesus pronounced jay-juice? they've got gabriel jayjuice and heyzeus navas, no wonder merson gets confused

and sinclair its a foul maybe a yellow but its not a second yellow, how is that a thing?

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

watching MOTD

man city vs palace, the female commentator was **** awful, to be fair to her ive heard a couple do it now, how is jesus pronounced jay-juice? they've got gabriel jayjuice and heyzeus navas, no wonder merson gets confused

and sinclair its a foul maybe a yellow but its not a second yellow, how is that a thing?

Gabriel Jesus is Brazilian and pronounced in Portuguese, Jesus Navas is Spanish.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

watching MOTD

2 different languages with different ways to say it. if anything she is too good at her job

• Like 1

Â