Media and punditry

BOF

I've always liked Lineker....been a very good presenter now for a number of years even if he is a bit too matey on occasions with the pundits.

No mean feat though for an ex footballer to be as polished as a properly trained media journalist as all his predecessors were.

I agree it's the Sun being the Sun isin't it. They hate the BBC so will always go OTT whenever one of their employees does something newsworthy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Liverpool should re-sign Steven Gerrard as a player and coach as the "only effects would be positive", says the club's former defender Mark Lawrenson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37995697

1. He isn't a coach.

2. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Liverpool are playing some of the best stuff in the league right now. Free flowing.

3. His legs went 3 years ago, and he was an embarrassment in his final season. Carried through games, shoehorned into the side, picking up the ball of the CBs for a pointless 90 yard hollywood ball.

4. He hasn't played a 'competitive' game in a year and a half.

5. Give it a week and he would be back trying to run the club, dictate how many games he plays, what games he plays, where he plays.

Apart from that Lawro. Great suggestion.

• Like 4

Harry Redknapp surprise surprise was ridiculous the other day saying no Costa Rican player would get in England's fifth team or along those lines.

He must've missed Joel Campbell regularly being picked over Walcott last season....

It's not the 1960s anymore 'arry...

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Harry Redknapp surprise surprise was ridiculous the other day saying no Costa Rican player would get in England's fifth team or along those lines.

He must've missed Joel Campbell regularly being picked over Walcott last season....

It's not the 1960s anymore 'arry...

the same Harry Redknapp who said no German get in England team before the 2010 game ;)

• 3 weeks later...

In our game last week the commentators apologised if the viewers had heard any unsavoury chants.

Since when has that been a thing?

They'll have to apologise a hell of a lot if they start doing that.

• 2 weeks later...

Astounded both Danny Murphy and Jena said vardy red card was a good tackle and a yellow would have been harsh, he had both feet of ground at speed and wether he got the ball first is irrelevant

then saying the penalty was harsh, Simpson had he's hand in the air, Murphy said "all he's trying to do is stop the cross"

absolute rubbish 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coda said:

That nobber commentating on our game today: Liverpool Everton "traditionally the feistiest derby in English football."

it wasnt me that heard that then. I thought it was the friendly derby

Yep Vardy was deffo a red card. Handball was another correct decision.

Few of the yellow cards were a bit suspect but other than that it's been a grossly unfair witch hunt against that ref. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coda said:

That nobber commentating on our game today: Liverpool Everton "traditionally the feistiest derby in English football."

Commentators will only refer to the football side of it though, i doubt they mentioned our game having the biggest police operation for any football match in the country, I'd be surprised if their was a fixture with more red cards then Liverpool v Everton 

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Commentators will only refer to the football side of it though, i doubt they mentioned our game having the biggest police operation for any football match in the country, I'd be surprised if their was a fixture with more red cards then Liverpool v Everton 

he did mention the red cards when he said it was feistiest game in english football

23 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Astounded both Danny Murphy and Jena said vardy red card was a good tackle and a yellow would have been harsh, he had both feet of ground at speed and wether he got the ball first is irrelevant

then saying the penalty was harsh, Simpson had he's hand in the air, Murphy said "all he's trying to do is stop the cross"

absolute rubbish 

I've not heard a commentator, apart from the Moose :puke:, agree with the ref.

Need to actually go and watch it myself now!

I think it was red by the letter of the law, though I wouldn't deem it as dangerous as it was more of a sliding motion than the sort of stamping motion you usually get when two feet leave the ground. So the "out of control" comments I've seen are a little over the top. 

• Like 1

Â