Media and punditry

BOF

20 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Hmmmm. Just watched it now. I'm not convinced that was deserving of a straight red but I can see why it was in today's game.

When we had Richardson sent off v West Brom a few seasons ago it was no where near the speed vardys tackle was, and I don't remember many, if any pundits saying that wasn't a red card

17 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'd love to see Sky Gary Neville's assessment of the shambles at Gary Neville's Valencia. I'm surprised anyone takes a word he says seriously anymore.

I am not sure if he mentions it here as I am at work, but this was part of a longer interview where he talked honestly about his failings at Valencia, what he got wrong, and how ultimately the buck stops with him, he went in knowing the situation, knowing they have sacked a billion managers in 5 years, knowing he didn't speak the language. He took responsibility.

I have a huge amount of respect for Gary Neville.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Neville is an extremely overrated pundit. 

he was a bit fresh and gobby and sounded like he knew what he was on about and in comparison to BBC still wheeling out garth crookes and motson on a saturday i could see why he was an instant success

id say the general popular opinion of him highlights just how bad some of the others are, same with the likes of bilic, leonardo etc during summer tournaments

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Neville treatment of the refereeing performance today was scandalous. Yes Dean had a poor game but Neville never called these decisions the moment they happened but had use of multiple replays. probably why Neville failed in management and coaching as he couldnt get multiple replays to see what was going wrong

I do think the media criticism of referees is an absolute disgrace since none of these ex-players bothered to do it when their careers were up

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Referees need to be criticised publicly so that standards improved. Not doing so will gloss over what is a huge problem.

I don't think referees deliberately set out to have a bad game. Matches are quicker than they have ever been. They need help in the way of technology 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't think referees deliberately set out to have a bad game. Matches are quicker than they have ever been. They need help in the way of technology 

I agree in certain cases. But look at two of them today. Dean got it horribly wrong for the red. Didn't need technology for that. The lino also got a blatantly easy offside wrong. Dean is an arrogant narcissist and needs to be called out.

Our ref's performance today wouldn't have been helped by tech. He needed to be stronger from the start.

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'm really lost by the outrage. For Kouyate? Definitely. But how can a player leave the ground with two feet and be that late and  it not be a red?

Guardiola wouldnt agree with you ;)

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Referees need to be criticised publicly so that standards improved. Not doing so will gloss over what is a huge problem.

Referees have been criticised publicly since forever, and standards are where they are. To be honest, it's just as likely to put promising hopefuls off the career. 

Brutal truths in private, less criticism and moaning in public is the way to go. 

• Like 1

Â