Media and punditry

BOF

i get where he's coming from that playing them home and away is great for the plymouth players but to suggest that merely playing liverpool twice would be remembered more than beating them at anfield? behave

i know it was a weak liverpool team but it'd be ronnie radford stuff in 20-30 years time

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The BBC, particularly Gary linekar have recently become a very smug bunch haven't they?

certainly wouldn't mind seeing them being brought down a peg or two.  

Linekar has been a smug git for years. I can't stand him.

• Like 1

they blatantly dont watch football outside of what sky pay them to watch, i would quite happily get paid £40k a year off sky and watch the Argentine 3rd division in my spare time incase one of the players one day rocked up in a europa league game i was covering, with the amount of football of tv, the amount of blogs, even games like FM building your knowledge base, IMO theres absolutely no excuse but these guys are ridiculously insular, its a big part of the reason ITV england fans discovered pirlo 10 years after everyone else and go in to every ther summer convinced we'll do ok

id bet my house on merson being unable to name a hull starting 11 or comment on how they set themselves up let alone come anywhere near explaining what silva did at olympiacos, tbf i cant either, can tell you a saw them twice in the CL a few years back vs juve in 2 incredible games, i know their CL record has improved, think they've even won away games under him and come close to getting out of some hard groups recently

surprised there arent more football based youtubers blowing up, think the only one i see a bit of is the drunk geordie

It really is undisguised propaganda. The purpose is not really to entertain - and certainly not to inform - but instead to mythologise the Premier League at the cost of the rest of world football, presumably largely because Sky have so much invested in the sport. 

• Like 1

and we wonder why

Chelsea Conte

pool Klopp

Spuds Poch

ManC Pep

Arsenal Wenger

ManU Jose

Everton Koeman

The English national team last won a WC 51 years ago

and didnt even qualify for some WC's

Take a look at the "main players" of all the title winning teams since Sky invented football

English players are Shit at football

English managers are shit at managing football teams

So is anyone expecting English pundits to know WTF they are talking about?

F**** no

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I see Merse has now recommended England international legend Thierry Henry for the Hull job

Is he still drinking?

Has the Birmingham Mail got a work experience in or something? Even by their standards, their output has been shite over the last couple of days. 'Reasons why Villa are the biggest club in the Midlands' (stating the ******* obvious), followed by 'Reasons why Villa are desperate to sign Lansbury' (cus our midfield is shit, didn't even need to read the article), and a heap of click bate nonsense mostly taken from speculation from other news outlets. I suspect tomorrow, we'll get another blog from that nose clearing in the woods, 'Why blose have da best fans, and Villa are just fannys from Staffordshire'. Terrible rag. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Has the Birmingham Mail got a work experience in or something? Even by their standards, their output has been shite over the last couple of days. 'Reasons why Villa are the biggest club in the Midlands' (stating the ******* obvious), followed by 'Reasons why Villa are desperate to sign Lansbury' (cus our midfield is shit, didn't even need to read the article), and a heap of click bate nonsense mostly taken from speculation from other news outlets. I suspect tomorrow, we'll get another blog from that nose clearing in the woods, 'Why blose have da best fans, and Villa are just fannys from Staffordshire'. Terrible rag. 

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, given you presumably haven't paid a penny for any of it, how much better do you have a right to expect it to be?

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, given you presumably haven't paid a penny for any of it, how much better do you have a right to expect it to be?

I'm not sure that's really the point any more.

Newspaper circulations are in decline, that decline is terminal and has been in motion now for well over a decade.

Its not about selling papers, that model is gone and any paper depending on it will close. It's about online now, it's about unique visitors, bounce rates and clicks. 

Sadly the Mail seems to have opted to go for click bait rubbish and stretching a tweet from the Dr into an article.

The standards are so low, as shown when they recycled on old article before we played Small Heath which had quotes that were out of date by 6 months.

I'd say the journalistic standards were low but frankly it's not even journalism. All they seem to do is put out click bait and content they've picked up from elsewhere.

The Mail has been poor for a decade or more but it is fast becoming an irrelevance to Villa fans and I'd expect the same is true of other midland teams.

I don't think they can afford to lose that traffic and as non paying consumers rather customers people have a right to comment and ultimately go elsewhere for their news.

That they've not given some guy in half a blue shed 25p doesn't really come into it.

• Like 1

Yeah, what Trent said! :D

I'd just like to see some actual journalism from the biggest newspaper in the area. Some actual fact based stories, with quotes, obtained from sources and contacts. I don't want to see a list of stuff they got off Wikipedia, some half speculation akin to the Club Call shit we used to see on Teletext, and some bitter blog written by a sha fan who probably still lives with his mother, who may or may not still be alive.  

All this stuff you're saying, it costs money. I know they seem like it, but the people running the paper are not complete idiots. They know it's crap. But they're desperate. You load up the page now, they have not only banner ads and pop-ups, but they have those auto-playing, audio-on videos that drive traffic away from the site (can't load the site at work). But why? Because they're that desperate for money. 

'Some actual journalism . . . with quotes, obtained from sources and contacts' costs money. They're losing it, hand over fist. They can't afford it. 

49 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

All this stuff you're saying, it costs money. I know they seem like it, but the people running the paper are not complete idiots. They know it's crap. But they're desperate. You load up the page now, they have not only banner ads and pop-ups, but they have those auto-playing, audio-on videos that drive traffic away from the site (can't load the site at work). But why? Because they're that desperate for money. 

'Some actual journalism . . . with quotes, obtained from sources and contacts' costs money. They're losing it, hand over fist. They can't afford it. 

Yeah, I know how media (especially online) works, but my point is still valid. My point is, we should expect better from the region's biggest 'newspaper' (or it's online site in this instance). It's a poor excuse of a media outlet. The fact that the people running it know this, makes it worse.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

This crap is worldwide, it happens on Australian sites too. Plus, we get the bonus clickbait of one sided facebook rants disguising itself as news exclusives.

• Like 1

Â