Media and punditry

BOF

11 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

This one is even worse. My favourite probably "A bullet full of knuckles" What the hell does that mean? :crylaugh:

And yet, "stonewall penalty" is still the most ridiculous phrase used. That shit needs to die.

I mean, he's not exactly good, he mostly seems to consist of stating the obvious at a very high pitch, but he's not even close to being the worst summariser I've heard. He's approximately 1% as annoying as Lawro, for example. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, he's not exactly good, he mostly seems to consist of stating the obvious at a very high pitch, but he's not even close to being the worst summariser I've heard. He's approximately 1% as annoying as Lawro, for example. 

True, he's way better than the likes of Tony Pulis and Martin Keown. 

21 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

James Richardson now presenting britains strongest man.. What a waste..

So now he's watching a giant Michael Bolton lookalike throw an oven over bales of hay

Edited by Jimzk5

Northern Ireland’s Will Grigg was one of 37 players nominated for Uefa’s Best Player in Europe Award, with the Wigan striker receiving as many votes as the Manchester United target Paul Pogba and more than the Bundesliga’s top scorer Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Grigg, who did not play a single minute for his country at Euro 2016 became one of the names of the tournament after the 1996 song Freed From Desire was adapted in his honour. Will Grigg’s On Fire reached No6 in the iTunes chart.

However, that and the 24-year-old’s 25 goals for Wigan in League One were not quite enough for him to be included on the 10-man shortlist for the prize, which is voted for by journalists from each of Uefa’s 55 member associations.

Gareth Bale is one of four players from the European champions Real Madrid to make the cut, along with Cristiano Ronaldo, Pepe and Toni Kroos. The Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, Antoine Griezmann of Atlético Madrid and France, Barcelona’s Lionel Messi and Luis Suárez are joined by Thomas Müller and Manuel Neuer of Bayern Munich on the list, which features no players from the Premier League.

The Leicester duo Riyad Mahrez and Jamie Vardy just missed out, with West Ham’s Dimitri Payet in 13th position.

The list will be whittled down to three players at the start of August, with Uefa’s jury to decide on the eventual winner during the Champions League group stage draw in Monaco on 25 August.

Last year’s winner Messi will be hoping to collect his third award after claiming the inaugural prize in 2011.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/18/will-grigg-votes-paul-pogba-uefa-best-player

Edited by Zatman

• 2 weeks later...

There is more interest in the Championship this year than ever before, I can't help think that the TV coverage (or lack of) is at odds with the appetite.

There are obviously cameras at each game - even if it's not a full works crew, so I fail to see why the EFL hasn't monetised the feeds for the international market. Whilst paltry in comparison with the PL, surely the games are worth something to TV stations wishing to do a live, or extended highlights, broadcast?

Combined, Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves, Norwich, etc would have a decent expat audience to make a selection of additional live games worthwhile IMO. If there are no broadcast rights to be sold, why not allow the clubs to stream the non-TV matches themselves?

Seems a strange way to shut-out an audience in 2016.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

as Saunders said earlier. bigger clubs than Villa have sunk to bottom of Championship. 

what is it with ex-villa players being shit pundits. Saunders, Andy Gray, Platt all useless

I think its more than most pundits are shit, some of them just happen to have played for us.

• Like 1

Â