Media and punditry

BOF

The one thing that always sticks with me for Martinez is that during an international tournament in the last few years (cant remember which, at a guess Id say the 2014 world cup - he was Wigan manager at the time though) he was adamant that teams would be using 3 at the back on a regular basis within a couple of years and the BBC studio team had no idea what to say.

On 06/07/2016 at 22:49, mikeyp102 said:

Not impressed by giggs as pundit at all..

Blander than a sand sandwich

We all now know it wasn't his sparkling personality that caused his brothers wife to drop her knickers for him

• Like 2

Of the 16.3 million that watched the @UEFAEURO final, 13.6 million of you chose to watch it on @BBCOne . Thanks all.

Surely ITV need to take a look at themselves and realise what makes them so bad to watch? They really need to sack their main commentator. He's horrendous and full of cringe. 

• Like 2

I'd love to somehow see what the figures would have been if Lawro had been commentating.

Maybe it's just me, but my process flow last night was

Turn on BBC 
|
|
|
|
V
Is Lawro Commentating? --------Yes---------> Turn over to ITV
-----------------------------------------No---------> Carry on watching BBC

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Of the 16.3 million that watched the @UEFAEURO final, 13.6 million of you chose to watch it on @BBCOne . Thanks all.

Surely ITV need to take a look at themselves and realise what makes them so bad to watch? They really need to sack their main commentator. He's horrendous and full of cringe. 

Its purely got to be down to adverts? Who wants the celebrations at the end ruined by constant breaks?

Always BBC for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

It's adverts.  There might be a few people who chose one channel over another because of the commentators or pundits, but people tend to hate adverts and if they can watch something without adverts then they generally will. Nothing ITV can do about that. 

I actually don't mind the adverts at half time, I don't really like watching analysis on a match for 10-15 minutes especially a game like yesterday, max of 5 is more than enough.

Didn't think ITV were that bad for this tournament, good pundits and presenter and reports. They were still broadcasting the final celebrations long after the BBC aswell.

I think the crux of it is for national events like major sporting ones people tend to stick with the BBC, it's just a long standing thing.

43 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I actually don't mind the adverts at half time, I don't really like watching analysis on a match for 10-15 minutes especially a game like yesterday, max of 5 is more than enough.

Didn't think ITV were that bad for this tournament, good pundits and presenter and reports. They were still broadcasting the final celebrations long after the BBC aswell.

I think the crux of it is for national events like major sporting ones people tend to stick with the BBC, it's just a long standing thing.

The adverts at half time are ok.

But the adverts at full time are really irritating as it often interrupts celebrations which, depending on the game, can be brilliant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It's adverts.  There might be a few people who chose one channel over another because of the commentators or pundits, but people tend to hate adverts and if they can watch something without adverts then they generally will. Nothing ITV can do about that. 

Given the ad-revenue ITV generate it's amazing how poor the production quality is. Tournament after tournament ITV have inferior production from everything from the intro (visuals + music) to the video packages they put together. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

as some people like watching it on here, it was John Giles last ever game on RTE last night, very sad they treated a football legend so shabbily

I just assumed he was retiring given he is in his 70s now.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Given the ad-revenue ITV generate it's amazing how poor the production quality is. Tournament after tournament ITV have inferior production from everything from the intro (visuals + music) to the video packages they put together. 

Really, the interview pieces Gabriel Clarke fronts are pretty good imo, he's a superior interviewer to anything on BBC imo.

Last night as soon as Portugal lifted the cup BBC cut off celebrations and finished the programme. Went for a shower then went downstairs to eat, flicked on ITV and they still had post match analysis on so not sure it held true last night.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I just assumed he was retiring given he is in his 70s now.

no he wanted to stay on but RTE didnt want to renew his contract. RTE is ran by rugby lovers that football is not as important to the station

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

no he wanted to stay on but RTE didnt want to renew his contract. RTE is ran by rugby lovers that football is not as important to the station

Ah a shame...let's hope he lasts longer in retirement than Bill O'Herilhy did. :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Xela said:

Its purely got to be down to adverts? Who wants the celebrations at the end ruined by constant breaks?

Always BBC for me

That was it for me, the (lack of) adverts.

Â