Media and punditry

BOF

every time I put on itv they had Ian Wright in the studio, with hes stupid glasses and constantly calling Glenn hoddle "the gov"

everytime I put on bbc they had mark lawrenso, a man who sounds like he genuinely despises football and would find something to moan about if Mila Kunis was sucking him off.

thus I spent a majority of the tournemount avoiding the commentary and listening to to my hamster running on he's wheel instead.

why the bbc & itv give airtime to rocket polishers like them, along withrobbie savage baffles me.

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 3

ITV are a funny one. A cash rich organisation, that just seems to fail when it comes to sports. Adverts are an obvious achilles heel, but look at the coverage that Channel 4 have offered for the cricket, horse racing and F1 - equally on par with anything the BBC can offer.

When you're directly pitched against the BBC for the final, you'd think they would box clever. Start the program earlier that the BBC for instance? Offer something unique in terms of coverage from France perhaps? I couldn't tell the difference that it made to me watching the BeIn Sports coverage hosted from a studio in Qatar to the studios in Paris. Perhaps venture into the cities a little more and give an insight into the teams that play at the different stadiums. 

Instead, they both cloned each other, which played into the BBC's hands as, without adverts it's always going to be the default choice. If ITV offered a USP then I'm sure the viewing figures would have been better for them.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

ITV are a funny one. A cash rich organisation, that just seems to fail when it comes to sports. Adverts are an obvious achilles heel, but look at the coverage that Channel 4 have offered for the cricket, horse racing and F1 - equally on par with anything the BBC can offer.

When you're directly pitched against the BBC for the final, you'd think they would box clever. Start the program earlier that the BBC for instance? Offer something unique in terms of coverage from France perhaps? I couldn't tell the difference that it made to me watching the BeIn Sports coverage hosted from a studio in Qatar to the studios in Paris. Perhaps venture into the cities a little more and give an insight into the teams that play at the different stadiums. 

Instead, they both cloned each other, which played into the BBC's hands as, without adverts it's always going to be the default choice. If ITV offered a USP then I'm sure the viewing figures would have been better for them.

I agree to a large extent, although I think the Channel 4 comparison is flawed . . . all sports where there's no competition on terrestrial. And ITV can do sport well sometimes. Their Tour de France coverage is excellent, and much better than Eurosport. 

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree to a large extent, although I think the Channel 4 comparison is flawed . . . all sports where there's no competition on terrestrial. And ITV can do sport well sometimes. Their Tour de France coverage is excellent, and much better than Eurosport. 

Actually, thinking about it you're right. I'd forgotten about their TDF and Formula E coverage, both of which are excellent.

Which makes it even more puzzling that they don't try something more inventive when it comes to their tournament football coverage.

• Like 1

Listening to other commentary makes me appreciate the BBC for what it is.

I have no idea who the colour commentator is. But he is possibly the worst I've heard. He talks far too much, he comes out with complete bollocks and he just doesn't seem to know what to say. You wouldn't know you were watching football if you just listened to his commentary.

talkSPORT

After 8 extremely successful years at talkSPORT , the station has decided to withdraw its contract offer from May this year.

If anyone wants a highly motivated, audience growing, award winning and passionate broadcaster dedicated to engaging with football fans around the country, give me a call!

Will comment further when appropriate! 

From Stan Collymore's Twitter account

Waiting for him to spin that in a way only he can and to be fair he's already started, they pulled a contract that's been on offer since May...so in other words he didn't sign it and now his contract with them has expired and they've decided to pull their original offer...

the real reason behind him leaving will be the reason he didn't sign it, doubt we'll ever know what that reason is but he'll make sure it reflects badly on TS rather than himself 

21 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I have no idea who the colour commentator is. But he is possibly the worst I've heard. He talks far too much, he comes out with complete bollocks and he just doesn't seem to know what to say. You wouldn't know you were watching football if you just listened to his commentary.

Jack Wood**** says hello.

22 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree to a large extent, although I think the Channel 4 comparison is flawed . . . all sports where there's no competition on terrestrial. And ITV can do sport well sometimes. Their Tour de France coverage is excellent, and much better than Eurosport

TBF it's really not hard to do a better job than Eurosport.

To be completely fair to Eurosport, they show a lot of cycling and are basically my lifeline to the sport (I both enjoy watching, and care about, cycling far more than football). Juan Antonio Flecha is enthusiastic and wears hilariously-coloured trousers, and Carlton Kirby can be alright if I'm in the right mood, but Sean Kelly's voice is just too dull. Seems like a nice guy, but so horrible to listen to. 

ITV's presentation is just much zippier, and Gary Imlach is a very talented host IMO. 

On 7/12/2016 at 00:44, kurtsimonw said:

**** me is that not satire?

"a different set of sharks, a different kettle of sharks"

"they're gonna be waiting on pins and needles"

"he's a big jungle cat on that line"

"a perfect penalty - high and wide"

"they're a baby's breath away"

"sending it to more PKs"

"Big Phil goes Barry White disco"

• Like 1

On 7/12/2016 at 00:44, kurtsimonw said:

His name is Ray Hudson, seems to have a bit of a cult following but I think he talks absolute nonsense. 

If he's the guy from the North East over in England, he admits himself that he talks rubbish during matches. I watched an interview with him, seems like a nice guy. Always seems to be commentating on Barcelona game on youtube.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

If he's the guy from the North East over in England, he admits himself that he talks rubbish during matches. I watched an interview with him, seems like a nice guy. Always seems to be commentating on Barcelona game on youtube.

thats him, according to Wiki he is an ex-Newcastle player

Â