Media and punditry

BOF

On 06/09/2023 at 15:43, Don_Simon said:

This would be brilliant. But could you imagine the vile comments that would be made about Nicky Bandini from the TalkSport / Sun / Daily Mail target market?

Absolutely this isn't a reason to not do it, but it would bring the absolute worst out of the feral society.

Edited to add, the HLTCO guy on twitter produces fantastic analysis. Told the social media world a little while ago that he has cerebral palsy, and the disgusting comments he gets makes me want to vomit.

He’s absolutely brilliant tbh 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Absolutely. 

Have no idea why people watch MOTD. Think Des Lynam was presenting last time I consciously tuned in. 

3 min highlights are available on Youtube within 30 mins of the game ending. 

It’s invaluable for me.

It’s my excuse to stay up late on a Saturday night and carry on drinking and knock one out when the wife’s gone to bed. 

1 hour ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

It’s invaluable for me.

It’s my excuse to stay up late on a Saturday night and carry on drinking and knock one out when the wife’s gone to bed. 

Get a boxset instead

71x7T84cT+L._SY300_.jpg

1 hour ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

It’s invaluable for me.

Shouldn't need an excuse for this. Get a new wife.

Garth Crooks with his usual pearls of wisdom in his latest team of the week selection, which includes our very own Douglas Luiz

Douglas Luiz (Aston Villa): I thought that Crystal Palace assistant manager Paddy McCarthy's analysis on the penalty awarded to Villa was spot on. Any referee who needs five minutes to make a decision must have sufficient doubts, but that didn't stop Darren England from compounding his error of judgment.

The only thing I can say in his defence that it was his error and his alone. The tackle by defender Chris Richards was superb and casts doubt in my mind as to whether Mr England knows the difference between a good and bad challenge.

The penalty was a big moment and a game changer. Douglas Luiz makes my team not just because he converts the penalty so emphatically but also as a result of his performance, which was thoroughly professional throughout. His calm, steady and consistent approach has helped to transform Villa since the arrival of Unai Emery.

I get the impression he shoehorned a Villa player in as he just wanted to moan about the penalty decision!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Garth Crooks with his usual pearls of wisdom in his latest team of the week selection, which includes our very own Douglas Luiz

I get the impression he shoehorned a Villa player in as he just wanted to moan about the penalty decision!

What an absolute moron that guy is

• Like 3

Any referee who needs five minutes to make a decision must have sufficient doubts, but that didn't stop Darren England from compounding his error of judgment.

Or, the referee made the call, VAR told him to have a look, and he wanted to make sure he didn't miss anything and confirmed his decision.

Maybe that's what happened Garth. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Or, the referee made the call, VAR told him to have a look, and he wanted to make sure he didn't miss anything and confirmed his decision.

Maybe that's what happened Garth. 

Or even when they review it for 5 minutes and still can't decide if it's a mistake or not, then clearly it's not a clear and obvious mistake. 

16 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The only reason he put a villa player in was because he scored. That's all he does every week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's always been bad but Christ the amount of bias in the post match reports is absolutely sickening. You'd think Chelsea had 5 disallowed and 30 shots on target with us scoring our only chance

I don’t watch them, more people should do the same 👍🏼

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's always been bad but Christ the amount of bias in the post match reports is absolutely sickening. You'd think Chelsea had 5 disallowed and 30 shots on target with us scoring our only chance

Laughable,  we had more shots, more shots on target, their keeper made more saves and we had more corners and scored more goals. They was unlucky lol, unbelievable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Made the mistake to read the guardian report, you would not know who they lost to, and the winning side scored from the only shot on target. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I worked in the media in London for a few years, and the anti-Midlands bias I saw was pretty emphatic. It was perhaps less "anti" than simple indifference and ignorance. I knew more about Birmingham (and I didn't know much) as an American than a lot of journalists from London and the South. Absent some kind of underlying cultural movement or huge economic revival, the only thing that will change it will be winning in Europe for several years, IMHO. Can't get no respect! It's partly why I try to stick to Brum media for Villa news -- esp. Dan Rolinson, Mat Kendrick and John Townley. They don't have the resources always, but you know their hearts are always in it. But all that said, it is better than it's been this year. We are getting more love in the national media, but I knew Chelsea was going to be bad. If we beat Arsenal, it would be even worse, because Islington's the epicentre of the UK football media.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

To be fair, Chelsea had by far the better chances - they should’ve won but were terrible in front of goal.

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

To be fair, Chelsea had by far the better chances - they should’ve won but were terrible in front of goal.

As I said in the match thread I'm not entirely convinced... They had at least 2 really good chances that were miles offside but weren't flagged, should they have scored they were coming back (same with diabys big chance)

I'd have their keeper as MOTM

Emi made 2 great saves from Jackson and Chilwell (which would have been interesting for offside) and a couple from sterling trying to score from ridiculous angles

Maybe I'm seeing the shots and the saves rather than the chances

Edit - Jackson is offside for his big chance too

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

It was very even in terms of chances created and getting the ball into dangerous areas.  The saves Sanchez made from Digne and Zaniolo were as good if not better than anything Dibu had to do. 

IMG_1884.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

As I said in the match thread I'm not entirely convinced... They had at least 2 really good chances that were miles offside but weren't flagged, should they have scored they were coming back (same with diabys big chance)

I'd have their keeper as MOTM

Emi made 2 great saves from Jackson and Chilwell (which would have been interesting for offside) and a couple from sterling trying to score from ridiculous angles

Maybe I'm seeing the shots and the saves rather than the chances

Edit - Jackson is offside for his big chance too

7 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It was very even in terms of chances created and getting the ball into dangerous areas.  The saves Sanchez made from Digne and Zaniolo were as good if not better than anything Dibu had to do. 

IMG_1884.jpeg

...and yet over in our ratings thread, Martinez has been voted as MOTM :D (FWIW, I voted Konsa).

I agree that the saves Sanchez made were very good, but we hardly carved out chances for Digne and Zaniolo - they were incredibly instinctive hits.

Gut feeling if the game result was reversed, we'd consider ourselves to be a tad unlucky.  Great defensive performance, though, no complaints here.  I just understand any media report that focuses more on "Chelsea miss huge chances" rather than "Villa score from tight angle" - it's not some weird bias.

Â