Media and punditry

BOF

MoTD still shit I see tonight. "Arsenal are fabulous, Arsenal are great, Declan Rice is amazing, blah blah".

I'm no Man United fan, but there was a dodgy offside, Penalty not given, just a battle between 2 players apparently, an a Man U player pulled down in the box, giving Rice the space to score, all not spoken about??

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll never forget when he stated that Ibrahimovic had announced himself to the world after he scored that overhead kick vs England

He of course had already won 9 top flight titles at 5 different clubs (all amongst the biggest clubs in the world) by then; won countless other trophies and had Ballon D'Or nominations on 7 occasions.

Wait until he discovers that pirlo fella...

But that is the fundamental problem with punditry, the target audience is someone who watches England casually, it's the guy who watches england every 2 years in tournaments and doesn't know who ibrahimovic or pirlo are and worse than that automatically assumes you're an England fan and like the manager and players

Sky's PL coverage leans towards people who watch 5 games of football a year, probably involving the top 6

The sad reality is I watched villa yesterday, I will watch their next game too, I will try and watch them on TV 38 times this year regardless of channel, performance, commentator or anything else... Sky have zero interest in me as a viewer

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But that is the fundamental problem with punditry, the target audience is someone who watches England casually, it's the guy who watches england every 2 years in tournaments and doesn't know who ibrahimovic or pirlo are and worse than that automatically assumes you're an England fan and like the manager and players

Sky's PL coverage leans towards people who watch 5 games of football a year, probably involving the top 6

The sad reality is I watched villa yesterday, I will watch their next game too, I will try and watch them on TV 38 times this year regardless of channel, performance, commentator or anything else... Sky have zero interest in me as a viewer

Yeah it comes down to this.

I'd love to see pundits who are proper football journalists and the like. Jonathan Wilson, MIchael Cox, Nicky Bandini etc. The analysis and opinion you'd get would be far better.

But 90% of Sky viewers couldn't give a shit about those people. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Bang on chap! Sky wer'e marketing the Arsenal and Man United game the weekend, showing old games with Keane kicking off and dirty fouls. Every big football fan knows it ain't been like that since the 90s, Man  Nnited lost in the last minutes of the game yesterday, but still went over shaking Arsenal players hands, an have a chat.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That’s fair… but it’s also most fans of other clubs, right? Either you’re a die hard football fan paying for Sky to watch every game, or you’re paying for Sky to watch Man Utd vs Arsenal and will happily miss Sheff Utd vs Everton.

If people haven’t realised, in a world where FFP transfers (Ramsey, Archer) are celebrated, that football is literally anything to do with anything other than money then there’s no hope.

Don’t expect pundits who can critique Lens performance vs Montpellier. 

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

That’s fair… but it’s also most fans of other clubs, right? Either you’re a die hard football fan paying for Sky to watch every game, or you’re paying for Sky to watch Man Utd vs Arsenal and will happily miss Sheff Utd vs Everton.

If people haven’t realised, in a world where FFP transfers (Ramsey, Archer) are celebrated, that football is literally anything to do with anything other than money then there’s no hope.

Don’t expect pundits who can critique Lens performance vs Montpellier. 

Yeah it is

Personally it only really bothers me with England now, it goes so far against the grain of my opinion of Southgate that I struggle

I never watch pre game half time or post game I only watch the football so I can escape the majority of it, it's got to the point where I don't understand people that do

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah it is

Personally it only really bothers me with England now, it goes so far against the grain of my opinion of Southgate that I struggle

I never watch pre game half time or post game I only watch the football so I can escape the majority of it, it's got to the point where I don't understand people that do

I listen to the commentary in French or Spanish and they make far more sense to me. I just wish I could understand French or Spanish. 

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

I listen to the commentary in French or Spanish and they make far more sense to me. I just wish I could understand French or Spanish. 

I have German sky 😁

Bit the bullet, €30 a month for every PL game, some bundesliga games and some other stuff that I won't watch (F1, handball etc)

They don't have a co-commentator, it's just 1 guy and they're usually OK, the guff over famous anfield atmosphere carried over and they obviously rubbed themselves raw over Klopp but then seemingly 70% of the adverts at half time feature him, they love him

Extremely tone-deaf tweet from Romano at best, absolutely disgusting at worst. Posting interaction bait of an abuser is vile: there is no need to do crap like this. It's solely because Greenwood's an abuser too, how many mid-table La Liga signings get this sort of treatment?

I begrudgingly get the need to cover that piece of shit going to Getafe, but posting his **** welcoming video like nothing is wrong is ridiculous. Romano has always struck me as a bit of a grifter (hate how football transfers have been glamorised to the point where it's almost a different sport) but this is a whole new level.

• Like 3

I think everything in this thread is spot on. The media coverage of similarly morally dubious situations such as the Mendy situation and the Saudi dictatorship's buyout of football has been handled very poorly by some of the big football 'influencers'.

On the flip side, there are definitely plenty of good journalists in football media: the likes of Adam Crafton of the Athletic (his and Ornstein's approach to the Henderson interview was very good), Colin Millar of the Mirror and Tariq Panja of the NYT are all excellent and clearly have a backbone.

59 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Extremely tone-deaf tweet from Romano at best, absolutely disgusting at worst. Posting interaction bait of an abuser is vile: there is no need to do crap like this. It's solely because Greenwood's an abuser too, how many mid-table La Liga signings get this sort of treatment?

I begrudgingly get the need to cover that piece of shit going to Getafe, but posting his **** welcoming video like nothing is wrong is ridiculous. Romano has always struck me as a bit of a grifter (hate how football transfers have been glamorised to the point where it's almost a different sport) but this is a whole new level.

I'm not sure it's that bad. Listen, I think he should never play football. But what has Romano done that endorses Greenwood?

Romano is a journalist - he simply showed a video of fans welcoming the player. He didn't say anything about Greenwood in this tweet. He didn't endorse him, simply reported the thing which happened. 

I am not gonna have a go at the BBC for showing Putin's interview or a north Korea military parade. Bad guys are reported too - hence we know they are bad. 

In fact, you could make the argument that by showing the Getafe video it prolongs the conversation about how absurd the whole thing is. 

On 04/09/2023 at 06:32, Stevo985 said:

I'd love to see pundits who are proper football journalists and the like. Jonathan Wilson, Michael Cox, Nicky Bandini etc. The analysis and opinion you'd get would be far better.

there's a reason I pay more attention to podcasts with the likes of those who you mentioned, then some of the usual crowd who analyze games on tele. 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I'm not sure it's that bad. Listen, I think he should never play football. But what has Romano done that endorses Greenwood?

Romano is a journalist - he simply showed a video of fans welcoming the player. He didn't say anything about Greenwood in this tweet. He didn't endorse him, simply reported the thing which happened. 

I am not gonna have a go at the BBC for showing Putin's interview or a north Korea military parade. Bad guys are reported too - hence we know they are bad. 

In fact, you could make the argument that by showing the Getafe video it prolongs the conversation about how absurd the whole thing is. 

I get what you mean tbf, I just feel uneasy about the way he's gone about it: I fully understand about posting about his actual move to Getafe: that's football news, that's his job & remit. But I really don't see a point of posting videos like that: it's not news or even anything remotely insightful (unlike say BBC reporting on the actions of Russia/North Korea, who are actually relaying news), it's just clear interaction bait, which just feels like a very unprofessional way to handle something of this gravity: it's tone-deaf at best.

I think what I'm trying to get at is that Romano's sensationalistic approach just comes across really, really poorly with stuff like this.

Edited by wishywashy

2 hours ago, wishywashy said:

Greenwood's in town, lock up your daughters

No really

On 04/09/2023 at 11:32, Stevo985 said:

I'd love to see pundits who are proper football journalists and the like. Jonathan Wilson, MIchael Cox, Nicky Bandini etc. The analysis and opinion you'd get would be far better.

This would be brilliant. But could you imagine the vile comments that would be made about Nicky Bandini from the TalkSport / Sun / Daily Mail target market?

Absolutely this isn't a reason to not do it, but it would bring the absolute worst out of the feral society.

Edited to add, the HLTCO guy on twitter produces fantastic analysis. Told the social media world a little while ago that he has cerebral palsy, and the disgusting comments he gets makes me want to vomit.

Edited by Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

This would be brilliant. But could you imagine the vile comments that would be made about Nicky Bandini from the TalkSport / Sun / Daily Mail target market?

Absolutely this isn't a reason to not do it, but it would bring the absolute worst out of the feral society.

Edited to add, the HLTCO guy on twitter produces fantastic analysis. Told the social media world a little while ago that he has cerebral palsy, and the disgusting comments he gets makes me want to vomit.

I imagine Nicky seriously limited her career by going through her transition. 
Which is extremely depressing

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

He hasn't covered a single other Getafe transfer all season. He's tweeted about this one multiple times, including this unrelated welcome video and it's only because he's generating buzz due to his case.

Â