Media and punditry

BOF

The PL are getting X billion a season from Sky and BT plus worldwide viewers.

They need to balance it so they get more viewers and more money.

Simply offering every game is not enough if it's too expensive. People won't want to pay more than it already costs.

57 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the sensible thing would be to introduce various plans. i.e. pay per game, all fixtures of a single club, a "big 4" package, all matches, etc etc. or maybe buy "credit" so pay for 10 games, and you just pick which ones throughout the season, and top up your credit if needed. so many ways that they could make it an appealling and profitable option

Probably couldn't offer a 'big 4' package without straining the egalitarian sharing of TV revenues across the league? But the others all seem plausible. 

On 06/04/2023 at 13:35, gwi1890 said:

Can’t think how many times I’ve watched a chelsea vs Liverpool match and been bored to death. And they are also largely uninspiring in Europe the only enjoyment I get out of watching the English scum 6 in the champions league is when they get battered. Obviously I’d love Villa in a European competition but if a team like Brighton who play far more entertaining football than Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool got into the champions league I’d be far more interested in their matches than the scum 6.

I despise Goldstein, was listening to this, "your joking, who would want to watch Brentford against Real Madrid in the Champions league, when you could watch Man U or Man City against Madrid". Is this guy for real, typical Man United fan, either baiting or a complete knob jockey, I'm guessing the latter. They even then only took calls that mostly agreed with him. Even hear other presenters on TalkSport having a sneaky pop at him for his apparently huge ego, always talks about knowing a few Man United players and being mates with Rashford, complete word removed. Found out he used to present soccer AM, so says alot really.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

Sky have destroyed sports commentating by trying to be too far too diverse. I mean they love to keep up there with all their campaigns, kick it out, no room for racism, hate won't win, blah blah, an that's great, but one thing it's also done is make them employ mostly ex-players, who are not employed on merit, but to keep to the over exaggerated diverse narrative.

49 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Sky have destroyed sports commentating by trying to be too far too diverse. I mean they love to keep up there with all their campaigns, kick it out, no room for racism, hate won't win, blah blah, an that's great, but one thing it's also done is make them employ mostly ex-players, who are not employed on merit, but to keep to the over exaggerated diverse narrative.

They’ve destroyed sports commentary just by simply making it all about 6 teams.

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah, obviously Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Sounds were all employed for their vast sports broadcasting qualifications, but now it's diverse it's bloody terrible.

Makes me long for the good old days of Lawro and Hansen sounding bored to be paid to talk about football

There ate much worst than these guys believe. Eni Aluko is one, obviously brought in for one reason only.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a-k said:

Isn't bringing in solely ex-pros actually less diverse? Since they are only hiring a single target (ex-pros)?

Well, the alternative is sports journos, I guess. Nobody wants a truly diverse crew, in the most absolute sense of the word. Although I'd tune in to watch a 4 year old Chinese kid co-commentating with a middle aged accountant.

Realistically for football commentary/pundit gigs you have qualified and educated sports broadcasters or journalists up against some lad with a sub 80 IQ who used to kick a ball where the gaffer told him to, but every channel has decided that the former is boring, and the vapid ex-pro seems to be what lures in more viewing figures.

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Can't stand Murphy but it was actually Dean Saunders who said that. The clip is in the comments.

No doubt Murphy said something similar though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I despise Goldstein, was listening to this, "your joking, who would want to watch Brentford against Real Madrid in the Champions league, when you could watch Man U or Man City against Madrid". Is this guy for real, typical Man United fan, either baiting or a complete knob jockey, I'm guessing the latter. They even then only took calls that mostly agreed with him. Even hear other presenters on TalkSport having a sneaky pop at him for his apparently huge ego, always talks about knowing a few Man United players and being mates with Rashford, complete word removed. Found out he used to present soccer AM, so says alot really.

Indeed, cockney 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Can't stand Murphy but it was actually Dean Saunders who said that. The clip is in the comments.

No doubt Murphy said something similar though. 

I like how he couldn't bear to comment on how well villa are doing on motd 😂

I was just listening to Talk Sport on the topic of the decline of Dele Ali. Does  anyone remember him having suffered the horrific experience of a violent home invasion?  It's little wonder his love for football has taken a back step and it's a bloody crying shame.

All talk sport could offer has a reason for his decline was too much money, smh.

42 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I was just listening to Talk Sport on the topic of the decline of Dele Ali. Does  anyone remember him having suffered the horrific experience of a violent home invasion?  It's little wonder his love for football has taken a back step and it's a bloody crying shame.

All talk sport could offer has a reason for his decline was too much money, smh.

As posted elsewhere by a lot of people, TalkSport is **** awful.  It's a baiting station with "controversial" opinions that rile people up and get them to call in.  That's it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bobzy said:

As posted elsewhere by a lot of people, TalkSport is **** awful.  It's a baiting station with "controversial" opinions that rile people up and get them to call in.  That's it.

It beats the shipping forecast, imo.

Â