Media and punditry

BOF

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

20 years too late, amazed they didn't put the infrastructure in before, it's a no brainer

Streaming infrastructure wasn't around 20 years ago. It'll be an app, similar DAZN.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its smart and will probably kill both Sky and BT Sport at same time

Issue is the 3pm TV kick off issue the government have to remove unless games start at different times

Won't it just be like Netflix so everyone has all the games.  Just the UK version won't have 3pm kick offs but we will all use VPN to fake being in another country?

Most people would happily pay £25 a month for that which is double Netflix but with live games and a 30 year back catalogue they could rake in billions.

6 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Won't it just be like Netflix so everyone has all the games.  Just the UK version won't have 3pm kick offs but we will all use VPN to fake being in another country?

Most people would happily pay £25 a month for that which is double Netflix but with live games and a 30 year back catalogue they could rake in billions.

They could just not play games at 3pm, or is there some rule where they have to?

Edited by duke313

18 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

haven't heard this type of punditry / announcing in a long time. 

I assume this guy is a social media sports influencer/content creator.

Apparently Sky Soccer Saturday are culling most of their traditional football reporters and going to have lots of these types reporting on the games from next season.

At least Final score still has properly trained reporters/journalists at the games so less "ballers" and all that language.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Streaming infrastructure wasn't around 20 years ago. It'll be an app, similar DAZN.

That's how it's distributed, how it's filmed and who owns the cameras / production team etc has been around for donkeys years and that's what the PL should have invested in a long time ago

If you look at the world cup the BBC and ITV are broadcasters, a Swiss company (?) owns the production rights and sells that broadcast to those channels

I'm sure the discovery channel owns the olympics

That's what I'm saying, the PL should have created their own production company and then own the production rights and all of the footage

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

They could just not play games at 3pm, or is there some rule where they have to?

Tradition I guess.  I mean you would not put it past The Premier League to have a World Cup Schedule over Saturday and Sunday 5 games each day 2 hours apart. 12pm 2pm 4pm 6 pm 8pm GMT

Fans **** about but the broadcasting rights would be astronomical.

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Apparently Sky Soccer Saturday are culling most of their traditional football reporters and going to have lots of these types reporting on the games from next season.

At least Final score still has properly trained reporters/journalists at the games so less "ballers" and all that language.

This guy whoever he is just perfectly described a goal without watching it which is what fans want to hear. Some of the best commentary stuff Sky have produced in about 15 years

Not Paul Merson saying he kicked it at the goal and went in and cant pronounce the goalscorers name

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Tradition I guess.  I mean you would not put it past The Premier League to have a World Cup Schedule over Saturday and Sunday 5 games each day 2 hours apart. 12pm 2pm 4pm 6 pm 8pm GMT

Fans **** about but the broadcasting rights would be astronomical.

They tried that during lockdown and 4 games on the Sunday was just overkill. Can also remember them sticking West Brom-Burnley on at 6pm on a Monday night and about 10 people purchased it for PPV.😂

I think the 3pm lockout wont be along too much longer, with VPNs and streaming really accessable now i think there's real evidence it no longer really would have a massive effect on smaller clubs. 

The App is the next big step for the PL. Controlling all showings around the world and keeping all the profits is the last big jump for the PL clubs. 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's getting ridiculous how "street" everything is getting. Even the announcers between programmes on BBC, Channel 4 etc. It's gone all:

"Comin up next on da tv is a wicked show bruv, ya get me".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's getting ridiculous how "street" everything is getting. Even the announcers between programmes on BBC, Channel 4 etc. It's gone all:

"Comin up next on da tv is a wicked show bruv, ya get me".

Yep it's annoying for us older generation particularly on the beeb it used to have high standards!

When I first heard it a couple of years back i thought they had let the YTS kid have a go at announcing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, S-Platt said:

The Premier League would charge way more than £25 a month. They'll have seen Sky charge £35 a month to show some of the games. As a minimum they'll demand £50 but I still think they'll want more than that.

8 hours ago, Oaks said:

I think the 3pm lockout wont be along too much longer, with VPNs and streaming really accessable now i think there's real evidence it no longer really would have a massive effect on smaller clubs. 

They said they're not ditching it about a month ago. It's here to stay for a while.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

His name is Jaydee Dyer.

In fairness, if his LinkedIn is accurate, he has worked himself up through what looks like the traditional channels.

He has a masters in broadcast journalism. He’s done short stints in production assistant roles at the BBC and Sky to start off with. A few months with ITN. Research internships at the guardian, video editor at the mail, that sort of thing.

By 2017/18 he was a reporter covering the WSL and red button presenter for the Wimbledon coverage on the BBC, and since then he’s worked for Sky in a broadcasting role, football and the NBA.

It would seem he’s earned his stripes in a way that might be considered traditional to the old school journalists. He appears to have a done a brief podcast with Liam Payne (One Direction) two years ago, which is somewhat trendy, but he’s already established himself by then. On the face of it, having not listened to it, Payne is the “celebrity” to bring wider appeal and Dyer is the broadcaster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

The Premier League would charge way more than £25 a month. They'll have seen Sky charge £35 a month to show some of the games. As a minimum they'll demand £50 but I still think they'll want more than that.

They said they're not ditching it about a month ago. It's here to stay for a while.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.

Yeah you've got to be careful.

Charge £20 a month for the lot and there's enough people who could get it for free that go "sod it, I'm happy for the convenience if the quality is good". Charge £40 and most of those will just go "no thanks, I'll take my chances on the high seas."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Yep it's annoying for us older generation particularly on the beeb it used to have high standards!

When I first heard it a couple of years back i thought they had let the YTS kid have a go at announcing.

They're probably trying to get kids under 25 to watch TV as barely any do

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'm pretty sure @Villaphan04 posted that as a compliment to the guy. Refreshing and enthusiastic with excellent description of the action. Better than the jaded likes of Alan McInally

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

They're probably trying to get kids under 25 to watch TV as barely any do

Yep my boy just watches youtube which annoys me as its now built into all TVs 😜 

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I'm pretty sure @Villaphan04 posted that as a compliment to the guy. Refreshing and enthusiastic with excellent description of the action. Better than the jaded likes of Alan McInally

😮 - I once saw Rambo celebrate a Villa goal live whilst reporting back to the studio (vs Chelsea I think). He's a legend 👊

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Yeah you've got to be careful.

Charge £20 a month for the lot and there's enough people who could get it for free that go "sod it, I'm happy for the convenience if the quality is good". Charge £40 and most of those will just go "no thanks, I'll take my chances on the high seas."

yeah pricing would be a big talking point. i currently watch everything on IPTV, but if i could watch any PL game, regardless of kick off time, plus various other content i.e. back catalogue etc, i'd probably fork out £40 a month for that. i could afford the various tv channels but i choose not to out of principle. i feel it's morally wrong to charge people for 3 different services and then still not let me watch my team just because the game happens to be played at 3pm on a saturday.

the sensible thing would be to introduce various plans. i.e. pay per game, all fixtures of a single club, a "big 4" package, all matches, etc etc. or maybe buy "credit" so pay for 10 games, and you just pick which ones throughout the season, and top up your credit if needed. so many ways that they could make it an appealling and profitable option

• Like 2

Â