Media and punditry

BOF

52 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Don't get why anyone still listens to Talksport.

All they do is spout drivel and hope it annoys people so that they call in.

That caller gave them exactly what they wanted.

TalkSport is **** awful.

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Isn't that just highlighting the relegation battle?  The graphic even says "the bottom 9".

It's the first time they've done bottom 9 instead of bottom 10. When we were 11th, miles ahead of Palace, it was a bottom 10. Now Chelsea are there, it's a bottom 9.

It's funny.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Isn't that just highlighting the relegation battle?  The graphic even says "the bottom 9".

You would think that, but they didn't highlight the relegation battle when we were 11th, the show the bottom 10.

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's the first time they've done bottom 9 instead of bottom 10. When we were 11th, miles ahead of Palace, it was a bottom 10. Now Chelsea are there, it's a bottom 9.

It's funny.

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You would think that, but they didn't highlight the relegation battle when we were 11th, the show the bottom 10.

I guess... why does anyone care? :D 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Because it highlights the blatant media bias to the so called 'Big 6'.

Some headlines following that game:

The Mirror:  "Chelsea slump into Premier League's bottom half"
Independent:  "Chelsea sack Graham Potter after defeat drops them into the bottom half"
The Sun:  "Graham Potter had WORST record of any Chelsea boss in Premier League era and leaves club in bottom half of..."

Next it will be "**** sake, look at the media bias all talking about Chelsea being shit and not Villa being good".

Also the ridiculous thing about the bottom 10 suddenly becoming the "bottom 9" is that Chelsea are actually closer to the relegation zone and 12th place (which is where the relegation battle really starts) than we were two weeks ago.

What I imagine is the case here is that when we were 11th there was some thought that however unlikely we could potentially go on a massive losing spree and somehow end up involved, but that - being realistic - that's not going to happen to Chelsea. I don't love it, but I think it's understandable. It's not worth getting annoyed by. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Also the ridiculous thing about the bottom 10 suddenly becoming the "bottom 9" is that Chelsea are actually closer to the relegation zone and 12th place (which is where the relegation battle really starts) than we were two weeks ago.

But with fewer games left for the gap to be caught up. They’re not in the fight against relegation.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

But with fewer games left for the gap to be caught up. They’re not in the fight against relegation.

I think @Mantis's comment was about the punditry rather than having anything to do with reality.

13 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I think @Mantis's comment was about the punditry rather than having anything to do with reality.

Sure, so do I. I just think it’s reasonable that the relegation battle is discussed by the pundits as being between the bottom 9.

45 minutes ago, blandy said:

As fruitvilla said, it was about the punditry. Of course Chelsea aren't in a relegation battle, but neither were we two weeks ago. My point was that it should've been a bottom 9 two weeks ago too, instead of arbitrarily changing it now.

35 minutes ago, Mantis said:

As fruitvilla said, it was about the punditry. Of course Chelsea aren't in a relegation battle, but neither were we two weeks ago. My point was that it should've been a bottom 9 two weeks ago too, instead of arbitrarily changing it now.

Reasonable enough. My point was that when we had 35 points, we weren't quite safe. As soon as we got to 38 points and as Emery said himself we were safe and could start looking up, not down. Up to that point we were still, albeit not that likely, sort of still in the scrap. Chelsea with 38 and 10 games to go are safe in everyone's mind, too.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Reasonable enough. My point was that when we had 35 points, we weren't quite safe. As soon as we got to 38 points and as Emery said himself we were safe and could start looking up, not down. Up to that point we were still, albeit not that likely, sort of still in the scrap. Chelsea with 38 and 10 games to go are safe in everyone's mind, too.

But it was when we had 38 points that the Premier League posted their bottom 10 table and were talking about relegation - a lot of Villa fans kicked up a fuss at the time because it was obvious we weren't in any kind of relegation battle.

Can’t remember where I saw it, in here or but the Europe thread, maybe Twitter, but there was a screen shot from Sky or BT of the top 11, with Liverpool occupying the final place of that elite group.

Now because it was only a screen shot, I don’t know the context, maybe Liverpool were playing someone who were 5th and the idea was to show where Liverpool were in relation to their opponents. That would be a fair and reasonable enough graphic to include. That’s a complete guess on my part.

Without any context though it was wryly amusing and did hint at the accusation that there’s a mindset in the media of “Oh we can’t forget those, it wouldn’t be the same if they weren’t included!” 

As Hanoi up above says (or how I’m interpreting what he says), I think there is a disparity in how these things are done, but unless it’s particularly egregious it’s probably not worth getting too vexed about.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

BBC live text today had interviews with manager/players from literally every team other than Villa tonight 

I have a feeling some parts of the media ( ones that hire ex players)are afraid to praise as it will be damaging to media icon Stevie Me

Â