Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I don't think he should be starting each match. He has potential but I don't think he is good enough at the moment. Problem is all our other options are pretty awful. We need more options next season if we stay up. If we go down, our midfield will be fine.

I disagree - I think the midfields our weakest department and will be in the championship.

Bannan and Delph already proved in previous loans that they are decent championship midfielders. Then we add in Gardner, Westwood, Sylla and Holman and I think we are fine. Plus we have some youth like Carruthers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been really impressed with this lad of late. His ball retention is excellent and he is becoming the player that makes us tick. Doesn't mind getting stuck in either.

When you consider the level he was playing at before this season then overall I'd say he has done well.

He seems to have an excellent attitude and as with a number of our younger players if we can stay up then he will be much stronger given this experience next season.

Been really impressed with this lad of late. His ball retention is excellent and he is becoming the player that makes us tick. Doesn't mind getting stuck in either.

When you consider the level he was playing at before this season then overall I'd say he has done well.

He seems to have an excellent attitude and as with a number of our younger players if we can stay up then he will be much stronger given this experience next season.

As is often the case, I agree with you although I've been impressed with him from day one.

• Like 1

Think Sylia gave him a lot more freedom and confidence today to play his own game. Long may it last. Westwood says he mirrors himself on Carricks game style.

Dont get too carried away, it was against Reading you know...

Looked a lot better tbh. Though I have only seen the highlights.

His passes seemed to be a lot more purposeful. Still easily beaten to the ball in the last few mins that led to the Robson - Kanu chance, but the pass to Weimann was very good.

One better performance (a) to Reading wont be changing my opinion on him though. It was only Monday that he was sending basic passes out of play.

Had an awful game against Man City and an alright one yesterday - he's capable of a lot better as we've seen but it's hard for him. Him and Lowton are in very similar boats right now - both been thrown into the deep-end, managed to swim/adapt but are pretty knackered (mentally as well, the key factor) all ends up.

you can understand players having bad games against big team, they get overwhelmed and star struck

what i have to question though, is many people on here for the past few games, have been supporting delph, with zoggy and westy, but surely with that midfield, westy has to be the one to sit back, which isnt his game? at least yesderday with sylla playing, westy was able to play with more freedom, to which most of you have already stated he played better, regardless of opposition :)

you can understand players having bad games against big team, they get overwhelmed and star struck

what i have to question though, is many people on here for the past few games, have been supporting delph, with zoggy and westy, but surely with that midfield, westy has to be the one to sit back, which isnt his game? at least yesderday with sylla playing, westy was able to play with more freedom, to which most of you have already stated he played better, regardless of opposition :)

Westwood's game is to sit back and that's what he was doing yesterday - Sylla was higher up the pitch pressuring the opposition when they were in possession. It wasn't just the fact that it was a high class of opponent, he just simply had a bad game.

Westwood's game is to sit back and that's what he was doing yesterday - Sylla was higher up the pitch pressuring the opposition when they were in possession. It wasn't just the fact that it was a high class of opponent, he just simply had a bad game.

So on the Bannan thread you said 'No because that isn't his game'

In this thread you are telling us what West wood's game is.

When did you become privy to tactics and team talks?

Dont get too carried away, it was against Reading you know...

That's the world we inhabit, with the likes of Reading and Wigan, QPR etc. If he can turn in those kind of performances regularly against sides we're competing with then we're laughing all the way to survival, hopefully. 

Great game yesterday, did all the bread & butter stuff well and at the sharp end had a hand in both goals

Goal 1 - great ball to Weimann who crossed for Benteke to drill home

Goal 2 - wins a key header for Bannan to flick into post before gabby almost takes the net off the goal

Great potential

Great game yesterday, did all the bread & butter stuff well and at the sharp end had a hand in both goals

Goal 1 - great ball to Weimann who crossed for Benteke to drill home

Goal 2 - wins a key header for Bannan to flick into post before gabby almost takes the net off the goal

Great potential

Think that was Lowton with the header. One key contribution in an otherwise awful game from him. Westwood was really decent.

The thing we forget with this lad and lowton is that this is their first full season at this level, they have played the majority of games and whilst that is great experience they must be close to being nackered right now