Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Defending Westwood's corners... Words just fail me. 

They're crap.

But the question has to be who is deciding to take them like that?

He is capable of whipping them in. He's done it before for periods.

So why does he keep going back to floating them?

I can't imagine that Westwood is demanding to take them and insisting he takes them like that. Why isn't someone else being used to take them, or why isn't he being told to take them differently?

Yeah his corners never lead to goals, especially vs Bournemouth or Leicester.... :/

It's upto the manager to switch up our corner routines but to say Westwoods corners are shit is just dumb based on the fact that they have led to 2 goals in 5 games, if we keep getting goals at that rate from his corners then I'll be extremely happy.

Defending Westwood's corners... Words just fail me. 

They're crap.

But the question has to be who is deciding to take them like that?

He is capable of whipping them in. He's done it before for periods.

So why does he keep going back to floating them?

I can't imagine that Westwood is demanding to take them and insisting he takes them like that. Why isn't someone else being used to take them, or why isn't he being told to take them differently?

Exactly.

Yeah his corners never lead to goals, especially vs Bournemouth or Leicester.... :/

It's upto the manager to switch up our corner routines but to say Westwoods corners are shit is just dumb based on the fact that they have led to 2 goals in 5 games, if we keep getting goals at that rate from his corners then I'll be extremely happy.

To address this - the corner against Bournemouth was good, and notably not floated. The corner that led to the goal yesterday wasn't a particularly good corner, it was Richards' skill that led to the goal. 

The fact remains that the rest of his floated corners are absolute crap. You appear to be the only person on the thread who can't see this. 

• Like 1

We had 5 corners, 3 of which found a man. I'm not saying his corners are amazing but they aren't shit and are causing problems for our opponents. The one that led to the goal was inch perfect and obviously planned as Richards made that run and Westwood landed in right on his head. Ye we should switch it up a bit and whip a few in but to say his corners are terrible and shit when they are proving effective is wrong.

Another absolutely hopeless performance yesterday. Like playing with 10 men.

What the hell are you on about? Westwood created two great scoring opportunities that really should have been goals. He also defended very well with Sanchez for about 70 minutes, then Tim's failed tactics really overwhelmed the team.

• Like 1

A lot of people saying he is told to float them in, but I do not go along with that. I think with corners, free kicks and throw ins, the players have a lot of freedom to do their thing during the game, although they will have tried different set pieces during training.

A lot of people saying he is told to float them in, but I do not go along with that. I think with corners, free kicks and throw ins, the players have a lot of freedom to do their thing during the game, although they will have tried different set pieces during training.

My point wasn't so much that it's not his decision to float them in.

He may well have chosen to do that. But, he has a manager (he's had two whilst he's been floating in corners) and coaching staff watching every game. He has a team full of other players who need to both receive the crosses and offer an alternative to taking them.

Surely, somebody would have made him take them differently? Do we really think Westwood has some sort of hoodoo over the players and staff that means only he can take corners and only how he wants to take them?

It may well be his decision to take corners like that. But I think it's pretty obvious that the players and management aren't particularly bothered about them. Why wouldn't we have changed the way we take them, especially with a new manager and coaching staff, if they thought corners were a problem.

I'm with you, I think they're crap, despite occasionally leading to goals and chances. But I'm not so sure that anybody at the club shares that view.

Anyone else just watch Neville and Carragher dissect where it all went wrong for us on their MNF gadget thing?

I never noticed it watching live on TV yesterday, but they showed how Westwood was making crazy runs forward at 1-2, leaving a 50 yard gap between himself and Sanchez. He was acting like a number 10 running where Grealish should have been, despite having 2 forwards up top. We were wide open good analysis really, we knew it was bad but Westwood showed no discipline and you see Lescott saying something to him probably stay back and protect the back 4 with Sanchez :/