Ashley Westwood

Nabby

It's logic that makes no sense though, isn't it? Heskey played roughly the same games over near enough the same period. Although Heskey was a regular in our best season (09-10) whereas Reo-Coker barely played that year at all. And I certainly wouldn't say Heskey was better than Benteke.

Benteke will go on to much bigger and better things so I wouldn't compare it. I doubt Westwood will.

Its only an opinion. At the end of the day what can you compare for Westwood and NRC. In my opinion he was the better player, I gave a couple of achievements that he had in his career as a reason for it.

Our midfield has been pretty terrible for the entire time Westwood has played in it. Clearly not all his fault but at the same time I think he has little impact on how we play.

So you want someone who was signed by O'Neill, who played 100 times (can it be more than 100?) at a point when we were challenging for top 4? Very specific. It seems easier just to say that managers sign good and crap players, and any player being at any team (irrespective of their league position) doesn't automatically make them quality. Players occasionally get carried in better teams or with better players around them. Ultimately, the cream rises to the top (which is why the better players of O'Neill's team are now playing for Man Utd and Man City) while NRC flopped down to the MLS with Liam Ridgewell and Stephen Dawkins. Also... Are you sure that NRC played 100 games whilst we challenged for the top 4? I don't remember us being that good for over 2 seasons. One season maybe. The other seasons we were battling for 5th or 6th, IIRC.

I was setting a specific criteria I was just giving a reason as to why I think nrc is the better player. He was a regular player for a team towards the top of the table. Its not clear proof he's better, its just a reason that I feel supports my view.

I don't think it does support your view, to be honest. It's the same kind of random stat like "Mourinho has never won a game at Villa Park" (doesn't mean he won't win the next one) or Con's defense of Bannan a few years back stating that we won more games with Bannan playing. We weren't pushing for Top 4 because we had Reo-Coker in midfield. He played regularly in a strong team, that doesn't mean he's a good player or that he's better than Westwood.

If you think Reo-Coker is better than Westwood that's a valid opinion (one that I disagree with, but valid). But that's not a stat that backs your opinion up.

Chris Smalling is a Premier League title winner. That doesn't make him a better player than Ron Vlaar.

To be fair tho, those saying Westwood is better than NRC don't really have anything to back up their opinion either. To simply say it's because NRC couldn't trap or pass a ball - it's neither here nor there tbh.

I could take or leave NRC however, he did have the ability to absolutely boss a game - 1-3 away at anfield he was absolutely immense. That is not something I have seen Westwood do in all honesty.

That said, both have different strengths and tbh we could do with a midfield consisting of players who are better than the pair of them.

• Like 1

NRC cost x 10 more than Westwood. I am not saying Westwood is a great player or the same type of player as NRC, but he was a very limited footballer when we had the money and ambition to get much, much more. 

we paid 30m for NRC?!?!?!?!

no wonder we're in such a mess!!

:P

NRC cost x 10 more than Westwood. I am not saying Westwood is a great player or the same type of player as NRC, but he was a very limited footballer when we had the money and ambition to get much, much more.

You do know we bought Westwood for under a mill,

You do know we bought Westwood for under a mill,

I doubt we did, despite the various rumours we did.

IIRC there were talks with Swansea but they were unwilling to meet the asking price.

• Like 1

Westwood cost us around £2.5mil as that's around what Swansea bid for him and was turned down.

Lambert lied (not a first there) about most fee's of players to stop the abuse he would get if they didn't work out, he paid £3.5mil for Joe Bennett.

Where is the proof that Swansea bid 2.5m for him?  You don't know the truth about any of the claims you made in that post unless you work for one of the clubs in question!! 

Westwood cost us around £2.5mil as that's around what Swansea bid for him and was turned down.

Lambert lied (not a first there) about most fee's of players to stop the abuse he would get if they didn't work out, he paid £3.5mil for Joe Bennett.

Never read so much rubbish in one post.

Where is the proof that Swansea bid 2.5m for him? You don't know the truth about any of the claims you made in that post unless you work for one of the clubs in question!!

To be fair tho, the claims about him costing less than a mill are made from as little or no evidence.

Westwood cost £800,000. That is what I have heard/read. NRC cost £8 million. And left for £0. Brought to you by the man who also gave us Harewood (4 million) and Davies ( 8 million). That's 20 million right there on very average players. If only we bought good players when we had money....

Westwood is okay but he would be no where near a top 8 prem league side sadly. Nice lad but lacks the killer pass for me. Might get better, like his attitude.

The club accounts proved he lied about he much players cost did they not?

True that Penguin, he has spent around £50mil on transfer fees since he arrived.

50mill in 2.5 years. Chelsea spent that on Torres, Utd spent 1.5 times that on Di Maria, Everton spent 2/3 that on a lazy sod. 50mill in 2.5 years, with a totally different team and managing to keep us up both times, well thats a Miracle in my view.

By way I'm defending him on what he has done, not defending him on that we haven't started to kick on from it.