Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Tried very hard yesterday and wasn't MIA or AWOL in the first half like Cleverley was but to be a PL midfielder he must really learn to pass a ball more than 3 yards in any direction.

Yesterday Effort &/10. Appliacation 3/10.

We are really missing any quality from AW and TC!

Without doubt the best of the midfield three yesterday. 

Not for me!

Sanchez the best by a country mile as he was the only midfielder not to hide away and he could pass to a claret & blue shirt more than 10 yards from him!

Westwood showed some effort but it was wasted by his poor passing.

• Like 1

Thought he played quite well yesterday. Certainly did more than Sanchez and Cleverley.

Disagree. Sanchez was comfortably the best of the three, in spite of giving away another goal opportunity.

I think that speaks volumes about the abilities of Westwood and Cleverly. 

Bang average, as per.

He's good enough for the premiership, but not for a team who want to win things. Unfortunately, that's exactly how Lerner has set us up which is why he gets a game week in week out.

Cleverley aint much better. If we spend 7m on him then we might as well pack it in.

Sorry to be negative, but that's what 6 losses in a row can do.

It never ceases to amaze me as to how low the bar is set in regards to what constitutes a good performance where Westwood is concerned.

If it's Cleverley setting the bar then are you that surprised?

We have 2 centre mids and neither of the can pass straight! Shockingly bad!

It never ceases to amaze me as to how low the bar is set in regards to what constitutes a good performance where Westwood is concerned.

I don't know what games you watch.

I don't mind people criticising Westwood or Cleverley. But their passing surely isn't the thing to be picking.

Cleverley had a 97% pass success rate yesterday. I'm not saying that proves he played well, because it doesn't. But surely saying he can't pass straight is a bit rich?

• Like 3

I don't mind people criticising Westwood or Cleverley. But their passing surely isn't the thing to be picking.

Cleverley had a 97% pass success rate yesterday. I'm not saying that proves he played well, because it doesn't. But surely saying he can't pass straight is a bit rich?

97% blimey I cannot remember one of those?

How many 'key passes' did he or Westy make?

97% blimey I cannot remember one of those?

How many 'key passes' did he or Westy make?

I've no idea (but Whoscored.com says Westwood made 2. More than anyone on the pitch apart from Cissokho)

But that wasn't the point.

Edited by Stevo985

They are both competent technically and basic ball retention isn't a problem. The bigger issue is that neither really have much influence in possession.

As for comparing the two, well Westwood plays a decent forward pass once in a while I suppose, something I've never seen from Cleverley. Though he is far superior off the ball, especially defensively, compared to Westwood. If I had to choose between them then I'd go for Cleverley as at least he has the attributes to play the holding role, which he may well do should Delph leave. If Delph is to stay beyond January though, then I'd have neither and rather spend the Cleverley money on a more creative attacking-midfielder.

Edited by Isa

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/829606/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2014-2015-Aston-Villa-Tottenham

Stats for the game.

Cleverly on 93.3%, Westwood on 75.6% but played 7 long balls, 2 which were accurate to Cleverly's 0 also played 2 key passes to Cleverly's 0. Looking at it it doesn't seem Cleverly does anything with the ball apart from the easy pass. Most worrying thing to me is the fact not a single player in our team played a through ball for the entire match....

Edited by penguin

For me,Westwood is a perfectly competent, functional midfielder.

But that's about it.

The problem is, he doesn't really influence a game.  

The only game he has even done so is that Newcastle game, away, last season, where he was superb until he went off injured.

But he has never come close to that level of performance since.

Maybe, with better players around him to share the load he would progress, but right now, he looks like he has peaked.   

That block after Gooses save was epic haha, he had 3 interceptions today and 2 key passes, one of which was a first time pass that set Gabby on his way when he blasted over but I guess not too many people on here would of noticed his good work as they were probably too busy moaning....

• Like 1