Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He hit a few bad passes today but he is our only midfielder that always tries to pass it forward quickly and he isn't afraid to try low percentage balls. Still room for improvement but he is an important player for us

And yet bannan used to get vilified for trying "Hollywood passes"

• Like 3

I think he'd be better off on the right side of the diamond, he's a very good crosser when he does get up the pitch and even his passing in an advanced area is decent, but he doesn't do enough defensively as a dm. Get in a good dm and he could flourish on the diamonds right side IMO.

His passes aren't overly bad but, as a defensive midfielder, he simply doesn't defend well enough.

Too concerned with getting into a defensive position and pointing rather than reading, closing down, marking and tracking.

• Like 2

I think when we start investing more in quality rather than quantity (hopefully this summer) - he'll be one of the first we'll replace with a better model. He's been good for the money and will be a good squad player for us but he's just not quite good enough to start for a top 10 team. 

• Like 1

He hit a few bad passes today but he is our only midfielder that always tries to pass it forward quickly and he isn't afraid to try low percentage balls. Still room for improvement but he is an important player for us

There's a significant difference between "trying to pass it forward" and "hollywood passes"

There's a significant difference between "trying to pass it forward" and "hollywood passes"

I thought he was referring to "low percentage balls" when he said that.

I think he'd be better off on the right side of the diamond, he's a very good crosser when he does get up the pitch and even his passing in an advanced area is decent, but he doesn't do enough defensively as a dm. Get in a good dm and he could flourish on the diamonds right side IMO.

Agree with this to an extent, although wouldn't want him out wide.  If we got a proper destructive DM in and then had Westwood/Delph as the two more advanced central midfielders, I'd be happy.

I like that Westwood is calm on the ball and just keeps things ticking over - he's just not physical enough to win the ball back if/when he loses it.  There's definitely a place for him in our squad though, definitely.

I like him, he needs to be a bit stronger but I like that he is always looking to pass forward and mainly his passes find their intended man. He is regularly our highest passer and most accurate.

KEA should be out of the team first.

He's good on ball and an accurate passer.

Pretty weak defensively, would like to see him make more tackles and marshal his area a bit better.

If he improves great could become a top player if stays still or goes backwards we will need to do better.

Some competition would be nice not sure we really have anyone else who can do this role without disrupting the team (ie making Delph play more defensively)

I thought he was referring to "low percentage balls" when he said that.

My bad. Missed that phrase.

In that case I agree. He shouldn't really get praise for that.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1