Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I do not wish to be disrespectful......but if we do not deal with this situation soon.....we will be having these conversations forever.

He is a massive problem.

ps I'm shocked the manager seems to miss it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

Never been a fan of his.. but i barely noticed him. Then when they scored.. he clearly bottles a challenge that lead to the first goal.. and got done for the second one just ball watching. He just doesnt offer anything attack or defence to justify a position. Been saying it for years. That said though... He was on his own in that second half so he probably had too much to do.

Cant believe he's still in our midfield. A lot of players left in the summer for their attitude, this guy should leave because of his ability is lacking.  I know we didn't have Tish or Mile but we must have had another option somehow

• Like 1

Villa fans will never agree on Westwood, so I am not trying to change anyones mind here, but the stats are interesting

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1084911/Live/England-Championship-2016-2017-Aston-Villa-Nottingham-Forest

Click on chalkboard and then focus on West2ood. 

he had the most passes, joint most interceptions, blocks and 3rd  most tackles, (behind Ayew surprisingly). Also, second most touches behind Ayew. 

He never lost possession or gave a foul away. 

He isn't spectacular and we could do with him chipping in with more goals for sure, but most teams need a guy like him. He starts all games for me with Jedinak. (until we sign someone better)

• Like 2

His biggest problem is the mental aspect, he never looks confident (in an attacking area, when having to hold off a player or when tackling) and is generally very timid. His first thought every time he gets the ball seems to be how quick can I pass the responsibility to someone else?

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

I thought he was unlucky with that challenge that led to the first goal, could have gone either way. But yeah he could have gone in more solid, maybe even given away a foul to stop the play, but after that, there was still time to stop the shot, or maybe even save it. 3 conceded 3 shots in the entire game. Not bad really. 

I was at the match Sunday and though he had a very good game, links defence with attack and never stops moving always available to receive the ball,

not the strongest of tacklers and never going to hit 80 yard passes, but one things for sure he will one of the first names down when RDM picks his side.

TV highlights never show what happens off the ball and players movements, and the majority on here only watch highlights.

1 hour ago, tismyk said:

I was at the match Sunday and though he had a very good game, links defence with attack and never stops moving always available to receive the ball,

not the strongest of tacklers and never going to hit 80 yard passes, but one things for sure he will one of the first names down when RDM picks his side.

TV highlights never show what happens off the ball and players movements, and the majority on here only watch highlights.

Meanwhile back on planet earth...

• Like 4

Pretty much follows the theme of this thread.

Person A gives thought out post, with reasoning.

Person B replies with snarky, condescending post that adds nothing to discussion.

Repeat ad nauseum.

I almost want Westwood to go so I don't have to read the same sarcastic, snarky comments over and over again.

• Like 2

The trouble is with Westwood is despite him being here over 4 years I am not really sure what type of midfileder he is. He certainly isn't an attacking one or box to box but I don't see him as an holding or defensive midfielder either as don't think he reads the game well enough or is strong enough in that position.

You can't really fault his technique. His control is excellent and his passing very good. He rarely takes a chance with a pass though and it is all a little too safe.

I think alongside someone more mobile he is fine or if you want to be more defensive I could certainly see him in a three with Tshibola and Jedinak. It doesn't work alongside Gardner though as they are both too ponderous and want too long on the ball and when a fast attack and quick movement of the ball is required they both have a tendency to take an extra touch or play it safe sideways or backwards. Defensively they are also both weak.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

hence the reason the ball fell to Vellios because Westwood made a weak pathetic "challenge"

Not the first time, hasn't got a tactical foul in him, it's part of what makes busquets so good, knows the risk of being beat so no matter what makes sure he's not

• Like 1

He isn't a bad player in my opinion but he does lack that little bit of ingenuity that separates good tidy footballers into top performers.

He's a bit too 'tunnel-visioned' at times and seems to decide what he's going to do with the ball without fully assessing his options, lacks the composure you'd associate with a great centre mid, maybe it's confidence but if it is he's had enough time to have gained it by now.