Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I guess we will see tomorrow if Westwood is dropped.  I'd find it hard to trust him on it if he is dropped for Sanchez tbh. 

I think it's a bit odd that people are basing such fundamental judgments about Sherwood on whether he picks particular players. Gil, over in the Gil thread, and now Westwood here.

He's the manager and the only way to judge him is if he's picking teams that play competitive football and win enough points to get us safe in the league and give us a shout in the cup. It's not his job to pick players because some fans like to see them on the pitch.

• Like 3

I guess we will see tomorrow if Westwood is dropped. I'd find it hard to trust him on it if he is dropped for Sanchez tbh.

I think it's a bit odd that people are basing such fundamental judgments about Sherwood on whether he picks particular players. Gil, over in the Gil thread, and now Westwood here.

He's the manager and the only way to judge him is if he's picking teams that play competitive football and win enough points to get us safe in the league and give us a shout in the cup. It's not his job to pick players because some fans like to see them on the pitch.

My point is Sanchez has been a liability in most games and I wouldn't be happy with him coming into a midfield that just bossed Liverpool and less so to do with how much I may like Westwood as a player. If he does play Sanchez over Westwood then it would be a clear indication that he doesn't fancy Westwood especially considering how both gave performed in recent matches.

This thread 

..............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,.............................. .....

...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,..........................................
......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,......................................
..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\... ..................................
................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\....................................
................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,................................
.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,...............................
...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)..............................
.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../...............................
.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................
.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.......................... ...
...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,........... .........
...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............
.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,
.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........
..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........
......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........
........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......

• Like 1

Just can't see why he isn't being given a chance. Even when he had his chance, he was fantastic. So weird.

Erm, he is?

Speaking hypothetically. If he's offloaded then he wasn't given a fair chance imo.

I guess we will see tomorrow if Westwood is dropped.  I'd find it hard to trust him on it if he is dropped for Sanchez tbh. 

Isn't speculating about what fans want and players exactly what a fan forum is for?

As Bunnski said, it's not necessarily about Sherwood, but just speculating if Westwood is fancied or not. Again, the very purpose of a fan forum.

Not sure why you're so annoyed about.

Just can't see why he isn't being given a chance. Even when he had his chance, he was fantastic. So weird.

Erm, he is?

Speaking hypothetically. If he's offloaded then he wasn't given a fair chance imo.

I don't believe Nursery is ITK anymore. He was Lamberts mate. Just covering his arse after he released that piece before the cup semi saying that Westwood was a dead man walking.

Could be wrong, but I can't see much to go on to be honest.

Nursey has got quite a bit wrong this season, even before Lambert's sacking. I remember when he tweeted to say the Sánchez deal was a few days from completion only for it to be announced straight after!

Saying that, he certainly is nailing his colours to the mast with this one. Not just the article but has reiterated his belief that Sherwood doesn't like/rate Westwood much a couple of times since. We'll see I guess.

Edited by Isa

If that is the case, I would hope that Westwood has a few more games in which to change Sherwood's mind. I don't know how much we would get for him, but it is unlikely to be enough to afford much of an upgrade on the player that Westwood will hopefully become.

That';s fair enough. I'm not saying things are for sure, just speculating based on the media (which is what I thought forums were for!) 

To be fair, this is what you said: "Just can't see why he isn't being given a chance" which doesn't sound very speculative.  I fully expect him to play a part tomorrow.

Westwood was dropped for Sherwood's first game and given how Cleverley and Delph played v West Brom I think it's a fair assumption Nursey made that Westwood would be a fall guy from the new high tempo style.

We see it countless times though in football completely out of favour players get a break or chance and take it dramatically.....extreme example but Gareth Bale in early 2010.

I'm not expecting Westwood to play to the standard of his Liverpool performance every week but even a bit below that level he won't be sold this summer.

That';s fair enough. I'm not saying things are for sure, just speculating based on the media (which is what I thought forums were for!) 

To be fair, this is what you said: "Just can't see why he isn't being given a chance" which doesn't sound very speculative.  I fully expect him to play a part tomorrow.

That was assuming the Nursey article is true. I should have clarified that.

If he doesn't start today it adds fuel to the fire. But it's also worth bearing in mind that Sanchez will definitely be better suited to dealing with Toure!

If he does start I think you can put that one to bed.

I'm not here to discuss the media really. It's all about the football for me and I gave up paying much attention to "ITK" info a long time ago. Thus I treat it with the disdain it has earned.

bang on, and in modern day football it's about picking the right players for the right matches, you don't just pick the same XI week in week out........unless you're Martin O Neill

• Like 1

The reason Westwood did so well against Liverpool is he was given a simple, well defined role: Defensive midfielder. He protected the back 4 and gave them an easy out ball.

Under Lambert, it seems he tried to (or was asked to) play exactly the same way as Delph and Cleverly did in midfield. He's not suited to that.

I don't think Westwood was asked to go forward like Delph and Cleverly. I thought the problem with the midfield under Lambert was that he wanted no one to go forward or even put the ball in the box lol.

This to be fair. Found it funny how other players got a pass for how bad Lambert's tactics were but Westwood wasn't. I think he'll really step up under Timmy.

They didn't get a pass. They just didn't receive praise to the extent Westwood did by some, so there was no need to highlight their inadequacies so much.

Cleverly was pretty much viewed as hopeless by most.

Delph - most knew that he was a decent player but just not playing well.

Westwood - received ott praise IMO, hence why ppl highlighted his inadequacies.

Of course, it could be the other way around.

• Like 1