Rino8

I'm no fan but Gerrard is one of Liverpool's greatest ever players. Who can forget what he did in Istanbul and then again in the FA Cup final against West Ham. He's carried Liverpool for years apart from last season when they had Suarez.

yeah he'll end up top 5 for them for sure, but then when people start trying to put him in the same kid of bracket for england, premier league or even worse just general footballers thats when it starts to take the piss

personally i still rank him 3rd out of him, lampard and scholes

From about 2004 to 2010 I think he was World Class. The Champions league final and FA cup final are examples that will be played again and again to back up media arguments and therefore nullify them, but they are great examples of performances that he was giving quite consistently for about 5 years. 

However never a central midfielder for me, too selfish, needed to be let loose with no particular position, which is why he failed for England and why now he is poor as his legs and positioning cant get him through games. 

Gerrard has been a great club man - inspirational, effective and a credit to the Premier League (barring his court appearance - which he was acquitted on).

However, IMO - he never really hit his club form for England though - maybe because of the years of failing to play alongside Lampard or quality of team mates but he never 'owned' an International match like we've seen him do for Liverpool.

All the mawkish coverage though is way beyond his worth - it's as if the guy's died!

• Like 2

The press will be nauseating and its gonna get worse, I fully expect hours of sky programmes dedicated to Gerrard, with anecdotes' from fellow professionals saying how good he was, how he won the champions league and how its a shame that everyone was devastated for him when he fell on his arse and cost his side the premier league title.

But still, he really was a great player, he really did win that champions league and fa cup almost on his own. I dont think he was ever world class but he did a damn sight more in his career Tha 95% of other players will ever do.

yeah he'll end up top 5 for them for sure, but then when people start trying to put him in the same kid of bracket for england, premier league or even worse just general footballers thats when it starts to take the piss

personally i still rank him 3rd out of him, lampard and scholes

Maybe Beckham and Rooney too.

Gerrard was never world class

At club level yes for the period ISA mentioned. You can't just brush off some of his performances at CL over a consistant period.

No chance at International level though but then he's not the only one from that era.

by the looks of it its started, koeman "we'd love to sign him if he changes his mind" 

koeman will no doubt be responding to a question from a journo, SSN will no doubt have a segment soon with all the prem managers waxing lyrical over him in response to being asked stupid questions about him

is it too much to ask for lambert to respond with "i honestly couldn't give a **** mate"

ashley cole...

i think gerrard has had a couple of seasons where he's been very close to world class for liverpool, not for england though, he constantly flatters to deceive for england IMO, even last summer after 10+ years and 100+ caps we were still ruining our team to shoe horn him in

Â