Rino8

trouble with the pool is the owners are pure moneyball so they'd never pay those sort of wages.

They seem to think that they can sign young players and then turn them into stars. The problem is that they vastly overpay for those young players and then they don't really improve. Part of me feels sorry for Rodgers because I'm not sure how much, if any, input he has into the transfers but another much larger part of me finds it all hilarious because he's an creepy weirdo and Liverpool are an annoying football club with the worst supporters in football.

the transfer committee they have sounds like a bad policy to go with

Apparently the owner is investigating this committee given that they have wasted over nine figures worth of money. I just heard that the committee can veto any transfer Rodgers wants if they think it's too expensive but Rodgers can also veto any targets the committee proposes. So it looks like they all have to agree before a player is signed which means Rodgers can't spot a player for shite.

Edited by villa89

Classic committee decisions then, rather than a risky like for like big money signing with the Suarez money they've agreed to hedge their bets by spreadimg it around on several young players in the hope at least 1 will grow into a star.

Football doesn't generally work like that.

Brendan Rodgers Liverpool signings so far

Fabio Borini £10,400,000

Joe Allen £15,000,000

Oussama Assaidi £3,000,000

Samed Yesil £1,000,000

Daniel Sturridge £12,000,000

Philippe Coutinho £8,500,000

João Carlos Teixeira £830,000

Luis Alberto £6,800,000

Iago Aspas £7,000,000

Simon Mignolet £9,000,000

Kolo Touré Free Transfer

Aly Cissokho On Loan

Mamadou Sakho £15,000,000

Tiago Ilori £7,000,000

Victor Moses Chelsea On Loan

Rickie Lambert £4,500,00

Adam Lallana £25,000,000

Emre Can £9,750,000

Lazar Markovic £19,800,000

Dejan Lovren £20,000,000

Divick Origi Lille £9,800,000

Javier Manquillo On Loan

Alberto Moreno £12,000,000

Mario Balotelli £16,000,000

£218million.....

• Like 1

and people have a go at Lambert wasting money!

It could be worse, eh? Imagine if Villa had just appointed the person who oversaw a lot of those signings like Aspas, Alberto etc in a capacity to sort our their scouting. That'd be terrible.

Oh.

• Like 1

It could be worse, eh? Imagine if Villa had just appointed the person who oversaw a lot of those signings like Aspas, Alberto etc in a capacity to sort our their scouting. That'd be terrible.

Oh.

But thankfully Villa haven't done that.

Liverpool's transfer activity was overseen by a transfer committee consisting of various people with the manager having the final say, Riley who we have appointed was a scout for Liverpool and not part of the committee.

Riley is a scout, and is heading up our scouting that isn't the same thing as identifying targets and agreeing the deals to sign them.

Oh.

But thankfully Villa haven't done that.

Liverpool's transfer activity was overseen by a transfer committee consisting of various people with the manager having the final say, Riley who we have appointed was a scout for Liverpool and not part of the committee.

Riley is a scout, and is heading up our scouting that isn't the same thing as identifying targets and agreeing the deals to sign them.

Just think it's a bit rich taking the piss out of Liverpool for signings when we've got a CEO crowing about taking one of their team responsible for them.  Don't think it matters too much either way because the likelihood of us spending £8million is so small these days that worrying it'll be on one of the many flops above is pointless :)

What I think is really rich is a CEO trying to take credit for the work of others but that is another story/thread.

In terms of Reilly, I've really no idea about his ability as a scout all I'm saying is that I don't think that because he was a scout at Liverpool he should be tarnished by the decisions of a committee, headed by a manager, which he wasn't part of.

That we have our own issues doesn't in my view prevent us being able to laugh at a club that has spunked a couple of hundred million up a wall on a job lot of rubbish players.

• Like 1

I have to be honest, I'm in agreement with Pilchard here. Surely anybody remotely related to picking out that 'job lot of rubbish players' should be pretty much written off. He must have been one of the people to recommend some of those players?

Who knows. He might have recommended a completely different list of players, he was just one of the scouts employed by the club.

The point I was making is that stating we appointed "the person who oversaw a lot of those signings" is simply factually incorrect, period.

That point isn't really debatable for the reasons I've already illustrated.

If some want to attribute some of the signings to his scouting then so be it but the reality is non of us have a scoobie which if any he scouted.

I have to be honest, I'm in agreement with Pilchard here. Surely anybody remotely related to picking out that 'job lot of rubbish players' should be pretty much written off. He must have been one of the people to recommend some of those players?

Not in the slightest. A scout scouts tons and tons of player but ultimately it comes down to the manager, and in Liverpool's case, this bullshit committee.

Not in the slightest. A scout scouts tons and tons of player but ultimately it comes down to the manager, and in Liverpool's case, this bullshit committee.

I was going to say this.

As I understand it scouts will scout tonnes of players. They don't have the final say at all.

That's not to say this chap is in no way responsible. For all we know he might have highly recommended all of Liverpool's signings.

But conversely, he may well have recommended a list of superb players who the "committee" all vetoed for whatever reason.

As usual, we should probably wait and see what he does for Villa before writing him off/praising him based on things we don't really have any knowledge about.

• Like 1

That transfer list is shocking. Toure on a free was obviously good business. Sturridge and Coutinho have been value for money, but can you say that about many more?

I'd say Cissokho on loan was good business, mainly because if they'd have bought him permanently we would have had to spend a lot more than £1.75m to get a cracking left back!

• Like 1

Â