Rino8

23 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Pep at Barca is an anomaly and not very likely to happen again,  he was also helped by having the best player in the world surrounded by world class players. Liverpool won't have this.

The league is so competitive at the moment that if they get it wrong and he turns out to not as good as people think he is (Gerrard was hyped at one point) or does need a few year's to decelop then the run the risk of slipping back down to 6-8th place finishes and not getting regular Champions League football.

Is Alonso just flavour of the month with extra hype based off his reputation as a player?

If they do get Alonso then yeah it might work out, but it still feels like a risk based off what he has achieved so far. It feels more like a move Spurs would try then Liverpool as they have less to lose if it goes wrong.

It could easily be another Potter at Chelsea type situation. 

With that squad it would take some doing to finish 8th in the next couple of years unless the heads go, if Chelsea and utd still aren't there yet it feels to me like a good time to give a younger guy a free hit for 2 years 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

With that squad it would take some doing to finish 8th in the next couple of years unless the heads go, if Chelsea and utd still aren't there yet it feels to me like a good time to give a younger guy a free hit for 2 years 

Chelsea once finished 10th the year after finishing 1st. 

Emery has taken us from potential relegation to a potential title challenge. 

The manager choice is crucial and to me Alonso just feels like a risk right now. 

I'd be happy for them to get it wrong though. 

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Chelsea once finished 10th the year after finishing 1st. 

Emery has taken us from potential relegation to a potential title challenge. 

The manager choice is crucial and to me Alonso just feels like a risk right now. 

I'd be happy for them to get it wrong though. 

Any suggestions on a manager who wouldn't be a risk for them?

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

The BBC have an article up about who will ne the next Liverpool boss with a poll at the bottom. 

I most definitely voted Gerrard.

Just wait til he drops van Dijk for not looking him in the eye.

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It is but at the same time alonso feels prime to do the same 8 odd year run where they stand by him and let him have a build 

Or they get an older head in to go toe to toe with pep, still lose and face another rebuild in 3 years 

They, same as everyone else, might just need to face the reality of what Peps city are 

My guess is they won't have to face that reality for too long; I'm expecting Pep to leave at the end of next season tbh. 

• Like 1

Whoever takes over will likely face a rebuild in the next few year's.  

Salah, VVD, Thiago, Becker, Robertson etc are all going to need replacing sooner or later.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Absolutely fantastic manager. He will leave a massive void like Ferguson and Wenger. 

Really good news for us, as Man United begin to sort themselves out, there will be another top 5 space opening up for the next few seasons.

There is one big worry though, surely?

Got absolutely no interest in Klopp leaving Liverpool, good on him and good for us. But listening to Noel Gallagher on Talksport Talking about his precious Man City and then being asked about Klop leaving, I almost started to jump on Liverpools side (an I hate the blameless scousers). What a biased word removed Noel gallagher is, doesn't even believe the charges on City and thinks the PL just don't like the one team wining every season and they are being elitest, wanting Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea back up the top. WTF!

• Like 1

What if as a collective all Villa fans shared the view that Gerrard was the brains behind the current form, that Emery is merely standing on the shoulders of that giant. The players let Stevie down and we'd have won the League by Christmas if it weren't for our short sighted owners sacking him just as the project came together.

56 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But listening to Noel Gallagher on Talksport

To paraphrase the clearing in the woods, gonna-be's like us shouldn't listen to has-beens

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Got absolutely no interest in Klopp leaving Liverpool, good on him and good for us. But listening to Noel Gallagher on Talksport Talking about his precious Man City and then being asked about Klop leaving, I almost started to jump on Liverpools side (an I hate the blameless scousers). What a biased word removed Noel gallagher is, doesn't even believe the charges on City and thinks the PL just don't like the one team wining every season and they are being elitest, wanting Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea back up the top. WTF!

Yes he's hard to like. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Nobody is getting a free hit at Liverpool for 2 years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nobody is getting a free hit at Liverpool for 2 years.

Yes their will be comparisons with Klopp straight away. It's going to be a bit of a poison chalice like man u after Fergy 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes their will be comparisons with Klopp straight away. It's going to be a bit of a poison chalice like man u after Fergy 

For sure, same as Arsenal post Wenger. They’ll bounce from manager to manager until they’re “back where they should be”.

They won’t just sigh and accept it was nice whilst it lasted, mid-table isn’t too bad anyway.

Â