Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Yep, and Ron Vlaar has been the captain - the so called 'inspirational figure' in both them games. This guy should not be immune from criticism. He hasnt been great since he signed. Not one bit. Being our best defender is nowhere near enough considering how shite the rest are - especially when your a far far more experienced player. If anything,his pedigree makes him more open to criticism for his far from impressive displays.

Vlaar didn't even play in the first leg, check your facts before you spout utter drivel. All players makes mistakes, and our defense has been lot better since he's been back, if you didn't notice we've stopped leaking goals by bucketloads.

Vlaar didn't even play in the first leg, check your facts before you spout utter drivel. All players makes mistakes, and our defense has been lot better since he's been back, if you didn't notice we've stopped leaking goals by bucketloads.

erm, the 2nd leg and the West brom game where we fell a part in the 2nd half. You know, the 2 games you quoted??

Edited by Woodytom

erm, the 2nd leg and the West brom game where we fell a part in the 2nd half. You know, the 2 games you quoted??

Thought you meant first leg against Bradford. I'd put much more on Lambert's shoulders for our team playing shit on second halfs, even as captain one player can't do much if every one else plays utter shit.

Thought you meant first leg against Bradford. I'd put much more on Lambert's shoulders for our team playing shit on second halfs, even as captain one player can't do much if every one else plays utter shit.

Agreed, I just dont see why everyone is making out that Vlaar was anything but pretty poor himself?

In fairness to Vlaar he didnt miss a header for their goal coz he wasn't watching and never made a challenge! Benteke mistimed his jump fractionally and missed with his header while Vlaar was too busy watching Hanson run about to bother about the ball!

That mistake aside forgetting all stats and staistics and basing it purely on what ive seen of him this season I feel much more comfortable when he's in the team. He's our most composed defender by a mile. He deserves the captaincy too and with the exception of maybe Guzan has been the most consistent performer too.

The question mark over him is his fitness. He's had injury troubles in the past and I think thats why the bigger clubs weren't really looking his way.

But he is quality imo

I thought Vlaar played well yesterday (Other than the Bradford goal).

He seems to be the only defender that doesn't crap himself when he's got the ball with opposition players running at him.

What Adrian Durham has just said about Vlaar is bang on the money. 27 year old dutch international getting easily outdone by James Hanson of Bradford City! Whatever way you look at it, that goal cost us the tie.

Quoting Adrian Durham to back up an argument basically loses you any credibility you already had.

Quoting Adrian Durham to back up an argument basically loses you any credibility you already had.

Yeah, he talks rubbish, but you can't disagree with that. I like Vlaar, I think he's important to us, but he was done like a kipper there and it cost us. It's not Vlaar's fault mind, we conceded 3 at their place.

He does need to improve, and I think he will with Dunne next to him, I'd rather have Frank Clark playing in defence than Ciaran. 

My post was tongue in cheek.

No one's saying Vlaar didn't get done for the goal. But you can't isolate one incident and say it cost us the game.

He was solid for the rest of it. You only have to see our defence in the first leg when it was completely all over the place and compare it to Tuesday to see it was much better.

No-one's saying Vlaar is perfect. but he's a lot better than anything we have already.

Had to suffer a fair amount of 'ribbing' in work this week from people who watched the game, but pretty much everyone qualified their abuse with praise of Vlaar. The general consensus, from a more objective audience, was that we'd have probably lost the match were it not for our captain.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep,

and Ron Vlaar has been the captain - the so called 'inspirational figure' in both them games. This guy should not be immune from criticism. He hasnt been great since he signed. Not one bit. Being our best defender is nowhere near enough considering how shite the rest are - especially when your a far far more experienced player. If anything,his pedigree makes him more open to criticism for his far from impressive

displays.

Utter drivel eh? Jarpie 3 goals is still a bucketload when you're in such deep shit as we are. Learn to count please.

I totally agree with Woodytom. Yet another goal conceded from a header solely down to our supposed rock in defence losing out to his man pathetically 1v1.

He being our defence's lynchpin is one of the reasons why we are such a shambles and far worse than any of the other clubs in the league.

Edited by GasGasGas

• From where I saw it 2 goals today were Vlaar's fault.
  • Cant hold off Anichebe, and get GOAL-SIDE which is a what a year 6 gets taught. Which allowed Anichebe a goal.
  • Can't position himself correctly for the header vs fellaini.
  • and arguably the 3rd one, where fellaini just walked past literally 5 players was disgusting to concede.

Â