Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I think the fact that we are offering him a new contract means we have no alternatives

thats the worry,,it again says where randy intent is for the next season,ron has been poor last season,i base this on finishing 17th & letting in goal after goal

Vlaar new contract = +15k on the wage bill.

Vlaar going = +£6-8m replacement and +£15k on the wage bill.

Make no mistake, this is about saving money on a replacement - even if said player might indeed be much better.

Put together a decent defence that helps us to finish higher up the table and that £6m-£8m will seem cheap.  Vlaar isn't very good, and he isn't very reliable.

I agree with you. As would any other club in the league.

But not one with Lerner as owner.

Put together a decent defence that helps us to finish higher up the table and that £6m-£8m will seem cheap.  Vlaar isn't very good, and he isn't very reliable.

Keep Vlaar and invest that 8m into a good quality left-back and we'll finish higher up the table.

I think Vlaar suffered from last summers World Cup. He is never a 38 game a season player, as he is always picking up niggling injuries. However, the extra exertions on his body last summer took their toll on him this season. I did fear that would happen when I saw Holland reaching deep into the WC finals. Hopefully if he gets a bit more rest this summer with a standard pre-season, then we may see a better Vlaar next season. If I were Vlaar I would consider International retirement in a bid to prolong his playing career.

• Like 2

Put together a decent defence that helps us to finish higher up the table and that £6m-£8m will seem cheap. Vlaar isn't very good, and he isn't very reliable.

Keep Vlaar and invest that 8m into a good quality left-back and we'll finish higher up the table.

We gotta replace Benteke to. Not an easy task.

He had a bumpy season but I think keeping him for a few more years couldn't hurt. He has quality, he just needs to keep showing it and keep working hard. He is an experienced pro who performed very well in a world cup we shouldn't forget, so having that sort of experience around the camp surely can only have positive effects on our young defenders. 

I'd rather keep him if it didn't mean breaking the wage bank, but I feel that his injury problems mean it wouldn't be the end of the world if he left.  I'd be reasonably comfortable going into next season with a first choice pairing of Clark & Okore backed up by Baker & Senderos with presumably one of the top U21 players at 5th choice.  It would be nice to get a bit of luck on the injury front though, because each and every one of them has; at one point last season; been out of the side for a prolonged period.  Our CBs do seem to get knocked around a fair bit.

A hopefully much improved Carlos Sanchez could well leave Ron less exposed next season. So if Sanchez improves, expect our centre halves to look much better.

That sort of thing can also explain why Ron looked class in the World Cup but poor for Villa.

A hopefully much improved Carlos Sanchez could well leave Ron less exposed next season. So if Sanchez improves, expect our centre halves to look much better.

That sort of thing can also explain why Ron looked class in the World Cup but poor for Villa.

Yes I agree, our defence was far too exposed at times. 

Not looking promising: http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/06/08/ron-vlaar-i-think-i-can-go-a-step-higher-than-aston-villa/page/1/

Ron Vlaar has today been offered a new contract with Villa, but he has told Voetbal International that he wants to maximise his career, in the belief he can go one step higher.

The Dutch centre-back said: “I have in consideration [a new deal], I think about it. I want to maximize my career and think I can go a step higher. I will look at it [before deciding].”

These are certainly disappointing words for Villa fans to hear, with it sounding as if Vlaar is certainly keen on looking for a move away.

Charming. He thinks too highly of himself. 

• Like 1

Maybe a case of better the devil you know but I wouldn't lose sleep over him leaving and us getting in another Okore type from abroad.

Clark's been playing Premier league football for 5 years now so I'd say with his improved form from last year, he's experienced enough now to take over the leader mantle at the back.

A bit like with Cleverley, it would help us financially if he signed. Certainly we could replace him if he left - and hopefully with someone without the injury disruptions - but it's probably going to cost us another £5m or so.

Really, a good signing in this position could make the world of difference to us next season, but whether I trust Lerner to provide the funds or Sherwood to find the player I'm not sure. 

A bit like with Cleverley, it would help us financially if he signed. Certainly we could replace him if he left - and hopefully with someone without the injury disruptions - but it's probably going to cost us another £5m or so.

Really, a good signing in this position could make the world of difference to us next season, but whether I trust Lerner to provide the funds or Sherwood to find the player I'm not sure.

But out of the two you'd much sooner see vlaar out of the door. I don't any big club were seriously after him.

I'd happily see him leave as he is too unreliable, he has been great for us in previous seasons but this season bar the first few games has been a joke with injuries and giving up soft goals. If he stays here and signs a new deal what's to say he won't spend half of it injured and the majority of time while he is on the pitch he will be trying to get upto speed. Too many what ifs with him although if he could get back to previous form for a prolonged period then it could work out ok for us.

I would prefer to keep Vlaar but we have made an offer if he doesn't sign straight after the internationals we should withdraw the offer. He's had all year to have a think and to accept an offer If he was so popular he'd have been signed up already. We now look like getting bought out so the laugh could be on him.

Â